Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Is it just me?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2005, 08:24 PM
cwigg66
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Never fear old-timers... I am preparing a complete build-up of a 2.8L monster as soon as I can kill the 951 in its current state... 106K and still going strong! I have 2 blocks, 2 custom knifed cranks, a spare head, a lightened factory flywheel and a shed full of misc parts. Friend of mine just got his CNC mill up and running so the sky is the limit now. I will be boring and sleeving my own block in the next few weeks I hope. Just need to find either cast iron slugs to work with or some money to buy the MID sleeves from Darton (or john). After that, it wil be Tec2 standalone. All the 3 inch stainless is in the shed with Tial wastegate waiting on me to buy ther bigger turbo and a set of injectors to finish the parts list.

The point is, at least one of your members is tinkering and still in need of old-timer wisdom. The questions are coming, I assure you. I don't usually post (no particular reason why), I just enjoy reading and learning and seeing what everyone else is up to. I read the forums at least once a day. I am in Atlanta by the way, come see me if you want. Keep posting!

Chris
Old 10-06-2005, 12:34 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally Posted by ibkevin
I think Tom had a couple of good points. ...Although I don't care for the tone of number 4, it has validity. ....
Oops. Sorry if that came across with a tone...
Old 10-06-2005, 01:47 PM
951North
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bill
A creative exchange of ideas, positive tech discussion, sharing of experience is what this forum should be all about. The mantra should always be "No such thing as a stupid question or idea" but when stupid people take it too far..........
I learned a long time ago that if you ask a "Stupid Question" you look dumb for 5 minutes, if you dont ask the question you may be Ignorant forever.

Though I'm new to RennList I have always participated in some form of online information exchance starting back from '91 I suppose (who remembers rec.autos.vw.watercooled & telnet?) Though I'm also new to p-cars I've used the list archives extensivly to answer most of my questions.

Though I used to love tinkering with my cars, my current "life situation" (two young boys) doesn't afford me the time, That's why I bought a 951, it's great straight out of the box. If I do modify it it will be with "bolt on" or "kit" pieces just because of tinker time restrictions. In future I'd love to get a less than prime example and go to town, so to speak...

I even hope one day I may become a contributor, rather than a consumer of RennList information. Believe me if I owned a p-car in 2001, I'd be a 2001/oldtimer member!

Sadly, it may be a logical succession or evolution of the "list" that there are fewer and fewer posts due to the majority of post being about routine repairs that have been covered in depth... Ths is one of the reasons I stopped subscribing to the scirocco list, as you can only stand to see "Is my engine an interferance design" e-mails so many times...

Jason. (The "new" guy)
Old 10-06-2005, 01:54 PM
macnewma
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Could it be that a lot of it is the result of one vendor finally offering a relatively simple solution that performs well, performs reliably and comes with a healthy dose of trust. It appears that this mystery vendor's packages have pushed the tinkerers out the edges. Spending $10k on a 3L with a full Motec/AEM/TEC3 is not nearly as attractive now. I'm not saying it is stupid, but it is no longer cost effective if your only goal is to go faster. Before, nobody really had a well put together solution. Now, nobody can beat it for those who just want results.

The tinkerer who is intrigued by larger displacement, standalones, exotic turbos, fancy intake manifolds, etc. are now strictly on the fringe, because they can't compete for the simple "go faster" crowd. From my perspective, the battle for that crowd has been won. (hell, when I came on board, Danno and Huntley were still in the running...you old timers I'm sure have seen it all)

At the same time, I don't think the fringe crowd of tinkerers and "outside the box" thinkers should shut up or go away. I think we just need to understand that their audience is going to be limited to people whose goal is to have fun with the process. It is no less exciting and I for one certainly like to discuss it.
Old 10-06-2005, 07:23 PM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Arrr you young whipper snapper….trying to confound us old ‘uns’ with yer fancy talk. Tec this, MID that, Kinfe edging & lightening stuff…..it’ll never work….mark my words…

Chris White

Originally Posted by cwigg66
Never fear old-timers... I am preparing a complete build-up of a 2.8L monster as soon as I can kill the 951 in its current state... 106K and still going strong! I have 2 blocks, 2 custom knifed cranks, a spare head, a lightened factory flywheel and a shed full of misc parts. Friend of mine just got his CNC mill up and running so the sky is the limit now. I will be boring and sleeving my own block in the next few weeks I hope. Just need to find either cast iron slugs to work with or some money to buy the MID sleeves from Darton (or john). After that, it wil be Tec2 standalone. All the 3 inch stainless is in the shed with Tial wastegate waiting on me to buy ther bigger turbo and a set of injectors to finish the parts list.

The point is, at least one of your members is tinkering and still in need of old-timer wisdom. The questions are coming, I assure you. I don't usually post (no particular reason why), I just enjoy reading and learning and seeing what everyone else is up to. I read the forums at least once a day. I am in Atlanta by the way, come see me if you want. Keep posting!

Chris
Old 10-06-2005, 09:33 PM
InThePocket
Addict
Rennlist Member

Another avid lurker here.......With my recent 951 S purchase I quietly rely heavily on you guys while learning about my new ride.

Roger
Old 10-06-2005, 09:46 PM
Ahmet
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

I guess I could be considered an old timer (well, I'm 23 but I've been around Pcar lists or boards since around 98).

I don't like "which blow off valve sounds best", or "I beat X car in a drag race" posts, so I've been less active around here. I sill read every so often, but post a good deal less.
Ahmet
Old 10-07-2005, 03:58 AM
ivai
Burning Brakes

I think I'm probably also considered to be a new timer.. I've had my car for just over a year.

For the majority of my membership here, I've been an "avid lurker", using rennlist as an indespensible manual for my car and I my overall experience as an owner has been enriched very much by you guys .

Sucks though... I just started at Georgia Tech this fall (along with macfreak007) and seeing as I don't have my car down here in atlanta, or have a lot of time with classes, I haven't been as active a lurker lately.

YAY I get to do some stuff with my car this weekend though..
Old 10-31-2005, 11:50 PM
washington951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom M'Guinn
I was slow to make the jump to the web-based forum, but was jabbering on the mail list since well into last millinium -- back in the day of Friday jokes, the Cooper Cup and epic flamewars with Tim Richards, John Anderson, Derek Khjahvi (sp?/HR), Lindsey, etc. Sigh...those were the days... Before that, in the really old days, if memory serves, each list was seeded with well-known experts (to bring in the crowds) like Bruce Anderson and Jim Pasha for example...

I was tmgee@... back then.
anyone remember 'chump' from the old email lists? what a hoot.

i'm as guilty as the next guy of not posting nearly as much. i'm not an old-timer (a 2002 guy myself...slow to adopt over here from the email lists) but i've been around. my 951 is going up for sale as soon as i give it the fall polish and get some pics taken. my business has really taken off and i don't have the time to drive it as much as i used to. (i'll dive into the 996 world late next year if things go as planned)

heck - it took me a month to notice that dan wray had passed away. a real shame.

its a real security blanket to know this kind of database exits, tho. overall - nothing but a positive experience for me.
Old 10-31-2005, 11:55 PM
streckfu's
Rennlist Member

Received 668 Likes on 448 Posts

I only posted here for the first time back in 2001. I changed my ID when I became a member and never spent much time with the e-mail lists even though I get the daily digest.

It has become slower but then it's always been slower than the 924/944/968 board.

Quick Reply: Is it just me?