Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

New To The Porsche Name

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2005, 11:10 PM
CGDoig
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok everyone, Thanks for all your input helped a lot while looking, until i got in a drove the friggen thing. I'd say that car would sell itself to a person who is already in debt 100 grand. My god it is the nicest looking, nicest driving 944 i have ever seen. VW mechanic owned and maintained. Price wasn't actaully 15k canadian it is $19,000, and its in miles, so its not 130km its 130miles. Still think its worth that kind of money? When i left i asked him what the lowest he could go was and he said "hed have to talk to the manager first" oldest trick in the book. but how much does everyone think i should pay? Like i say, body is perfect, interior perfect (worn dials and buttons, No cracks anywhere, black is still black, engine looks pretty good.) now that everyone has a picture painted, more input on what its worth would be appreciated.

PS i'm taking pics tommorow i'll see if i can post them when i get home.
Old 10-04-2005, 11:21 PM
nize
Banned

i would still buy the eurospec 951 instead. i dislike buying used cars from dealers.
Old 10-05-2005, 12:02 AM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

19 k canadian? Hell no. Too high. There are cars for sale right here on Rennlist that I know are worth 19k, so don't even think about this one.
here's why. A new clutch with labor is 2000.00 + (1000.00 if you do it yourself right)
New timing belt/rollers water pump/ 850+ (250.00 ish if you do it yourself)
Have you checked the ball joints
tie rods
condition of the front struts
leak down test
compression test
receipts for all of the work that has been done
turbo water pump
sunroof operation
rear hatch operation
oil leaks from oil pan, cam tower, seals
power steering leaks
the above is roughly 4or 5 k worth of work if you do it all yourself.
AND will they quarantee the car for any period of time.

19k is WAY out of line. That's a bull**** dealer price.
You said yourself that you aren't very familiar with these cars. They are easy to become overly impressed with. Do yourself a favor and stay away from the car and the dealer for a week. Look at all of the cars for sale here on Rennlist first. These are cars with documented histories, owned by guys who will tell you the truth about what is needed. In many xases, for that 19k cn. You'll get an 80% better car from one of those guys. In fact Ted Wrights is not only a better car, but MUCH faster.
Documentation is EVERYTHING with these cars.

DON"T SELL YOURSELF. YMMV

EDIT: I'm not trying to run you down here. The list above is a list of what is wrong with 90% of the randomly owned 951's out there. For 19k cn you must be buying a PERFECT specimen. 19k is about 15k U.S.. That should be a perfect car. For 10 ish here you can have a much closer car with a solid background.
Old 10-05-2005, 12:08 AM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The importing process isnt TOO involved either. I imported mine from Seattle. I was able to see mine in person though, which was important to me
Old 10-05-2005, 12:22 AM
nize
Banned

CGDoig;
i just noticed you're in vancouver. there are LOTS of guys who own 951's near you, especially in the surrounding areas like surrey. send me a PM or email and i'll send you their email contacts. i'm sure they'll be happy to let you come check out their cars so you can 'compare'.

i can pretty much guarantee you won't buy the dealer car once you see what a 'real' nice 951 is like.

or if you'd like to visit seattle, i'll show you my car so you'll have a standard to compare to.

alternately, i'm sure one of the vancouver rennlisters would be happy to go with you to the dealer to check the car and point out all of the problems and argue the price down.

my email is;
nize2 at msn.com
Old 10-05-2005, 05:02 AM
951North
Pro

WAAAAYY too much. Hell there's a 1988 turbo s in calgary for 18k! have you checked the auto trader??? If you are really set on this car print off a bunch of auto trader ads and then see what the used car dealer says? They'll probably wait for some sucker to pay the 19k tho...

http://www.canadatrader.com/result/r...&type=province
Old 10-05-2005, 11:51 AM
JDeitz951
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

$15K CND was top dollar. 19K is over the top. And a dealer doesn't know **** about these cars so they can't be honest about it's condition. You can't even see most critical areas of the engine to judge it's condition without removing at least the belly pan and the air filter box, even better if the intake is off.

Simple question: does the car have extensive service records? At 130 K miles, a cream puff should have all new seals, clutch, wires, maybe sensors and timing valve, more. If not, you will be doing this piecemeal yourself. They all need it. Over time, all (I repeat: all) 951s cook every bit of rubber and plastic in the area under the intake manifold.

15K or 19K is big money (to me). I would strongly suggest you find a privately owned car with an honest, knowledgable owner, you'll spend less money and know more about the car before you buy.
Old 10-05-2005, 11:55 AM
special tool
Banned

Too much money, dude.
Don't worry about losing that one....wait till you drive a fast one!!!
Old 10-05-2005, 01:53 PM
nize
Banned

CGDoig;
i'm curious, with all the nice 951's for sale right here on rennlist, by reputable owners selling honest cars that are known to our community, why are you going to the dealer? have you seen these listings?
http://mall.rennlist.com/scripts/fea...query=category

even with shipping/delivery costs, they would still be cheaper and better.

also, i'll keep an eye out for local seattle 951's for sale. perhaps you can take the ferry over and import it back. i know rich s. (and many other rennlisters) have imported multiple 951's into canada because of their relative rarity (and subsequent higher price) up north.

don't buy the dealer car for that price.

Last edited by nize; 10-05-2005 at 03:12 PM. Reason: typo's corrected
Old 10-05-2005, 01:56 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Dont bother trying to deal with the dealer (LOL). I tried with an N/A that was for sale. The fat twit was clueless about where his fricken arsehole is, not to mention Porsches. A lot of used car dealers LOVE having a car like a Porsche on their lot, gives them a less scummy appearance.

Actually I just remembered, James at SCAN Automotive is selling his 944 Turbo. Its slate gray on burgundy interior, its a sunroof delete car, has GT3 seats (not sure if theyre with the car or not, he might want to keep them) and is a very nice car in general. If you are interested let me know, and ill give you their phone number. SCAN is in North Vancouver, I live in Surrey. Im not sure of his asking price. He might know of other cars for sale locally as well.
Old 10-05-2005, 04:02 PM
CGDoig
AutoX

Alright thanks guys. I probably won't deal with that car anymore. Glad i got to test drive it though. I dropped the fella selling the eurospec a line, the only thing i'm worried about is rust. When you bring cars from alberta to the west coast they rust so bad. Not sure if its the same from Toronto to here. Also if anyone comes up with one for sale in seattle or vancouver drop me a line as well. cam_doig@hotmail.com
Old 10-05-2005, 04:25 PM
Dal Heger
Addict
Rennlist Member

These cars are dip galvanized. They basically don't rust unless there has been some poorly repaired damage.

I agree, 19k cdn is too much. Take your time, buy a good one, and you'll love it. You'll still spend serious money on maintenance and upgrades, but not as much as buying a bad example.

Dal.

Quick Reply: New To The Porsche Name