Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

I can't avoid it! my 951 for sale!

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2005 | 08:11 PM
TRWright
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Default I can't avoid it! my 951 for sale!

1987 944 turbo (951) guards red with black interior

Option codes are as follows:

414 Combined oil pressure and temperature gauge
454 Automatic Speed Control - USA, Canada
474 Sport shock absorbers (Bilsteins)
593 Antiblock System (Bosch ABS)
650 Sunroof
946 Leather/leatherette seats
EJ8 That Option Code was not found.
C78 That Option Code was not found.
CS0 That Option Code was not found.

Some service records, original manuals, etc.

Rebuilt engine
less than 5k miles ago included ALL gaskets, seals and widefire head gasket, bearings, piston rings, full head service, water pump, belts, rollers, etc. ARP rod hardware was used. I replaced the radiator and several hoses at this time. Battery was also replaced with $100 Bosch battery. In the past year the AC compressor (as well as a few other AC items), TPS, DME, KLR, and alternator were replaced. (DME and KLR came new from Ian’s euro parts) Plugs (one step cooler than stock), cap and rotor were just replaced a few weeks ago. Fuel rail, regulator, dampner and dampener line replaced a few weeks ago.

Mods include:

$1900 New Vitesse stage 2 turbo (3 weeks old)

$85 turbo hotside wrap kit

$350 SFR 3” down pipe (all exhaust also 3 weeks old)

$650 SFR TRUE 3” test pipe

$600 SFR 3” catback

$700 JME CS-19 camshaft

$330 Lindsey Racing POLISHED hard pipes, silicone and clamps

$500 Spec stage 3 disc and new stock PP

$325 Tial DP WG 38mm and adapter plates

$700 Corbeau seats and brackets with sliders

$400 Autopower bolt in race roll bar

$1500 17” Porsche 993/boxster wheels with TOYO tires (75% tread left)

$2000 Vitesse MAF, and SMT-6

$800 Vitesse New sequential batch software board

$350 72lb Vitesse injectors and resistors

$250 928 GTS fuel pump and new filter

$60 catch can and black **** MBC

$60 Bosch 3 bar FPR

$50 magnecore wires

$300 MSD 6al ignition with blaster 2 coil (user selectable-3 stage rev limits)

$150 Lotec OEM black dual gauge pod with VDO vac/boost and oil temp with oil temp drain plug.

$600 CD player, JL component sets w/tweeters front/rear. Crossovers/amplifier mounted in spare tire well

$200 Colored glass-crest center caps new from porsche

$500 Aftermarket alarm with keyless entry and remote hatch release. Flashes parking lights as well.

$120 Evolution motorsports billet diverter valve

The car has a little over 100k miles, but I only started to mod it about 10k ago. The car was rebuild less than 5k ago due to a leaky rear main seal. I decided to pull the engine and do a lot of other stuff. The new turbo and exhaust are less than 1,000 miles old. The car has been a daily driver/toy for me and has been very reliable. When the roll bar was installed, I pulled the rear seat and covered the bare metal with fabric. It looks very nice. The car has Koni adjustable in the rear and stock bilstein sport suspension in the front. (Car has option 474 for sport bilstein suspension, but rears were just replaced with koni adjustable.) Trans has open diff. Vac lines were all redone with venturi update. Brake pads and rotors were replaced recently. Everything under the car looks solid, and it runs and drives very well. A/C is ICE cold!! Brake calipers were painted red and look very good. The car has a wood trim kit, but it looks better than most I have seen because it is very dark. I am sure it can be removed if you do not like it. There is an expensive Nakamichi CD player with JL audio components and amplifier. Tweeters are mounted on the dash and by the rear windows. The setup looks OEM. The amplifier and crossovers are in the spare tire well. It sounds nice. There is an aftermarket alarm installed with keyless entry and remote hatch release. It flashes parking lights. I have the black **** MBC set up where the cig lighter was. It looks OEM. The cable for the SMT-6 comes up into the glove box and looks very nice. Everything on this car was done properly. There is a bung in the test pipe for a wideband sensor. One nice thing about the Vitesse software is that to change boost level, you do not need to reconfigure the AFR or touch the piggyback. All you do is crank the boost to the desired level. The software board has 2 maps which are externally selectable. I have the switch on my console under the radio, next to the mirrors/sunroof/locks, etc. When race fuel is used, I flip that switch which changes to the race map and more aggressive timing. The car made 371/369 RWHP on a mustang dyno with the STOCK EXHAUST and OLD STAGE 2 TURBO. I have since upgraded to the NEW stage 2 and the full 3” turbo back exhaust. The car is capable of making well over 400 RWHP on race fuel at 22-23 psi. On 93-94 pump fuel and 17-18 psi the car should make over 360 RWHP. This setup works very well together and provides such a broad power band and quick spoolup. It is faster than a lot of 951s that have 50-100 more HP, just because the power band is so broad. The spoolup is amazing.

Now for the bad:

Mechanics.
The car has a power steering rack, packed full of grease and capped off. No power steering lines or pump. I like it, and my 110 lb asian girlfriend has no problem driving the car in city traffic (Albany, NY).

Car has no belt covers. I pulled them off because I like to see what is going on. I have seen too many close calls and think it is much safer to run without them. They can easily be put back on the next time the belts are changed, if you prefer.

The clutch will start to slip under very hard boost. At 15-16 psi (pump fuel) The clutch will not slip. Even under heavy boost it is not noticeable. I just believe in being very honest about things. When I had the car on the dynapack dyno recently, it was apparent that the clutch was slipping under heavy load. If I did not say anything, you probably wouldn’t know. I made a mistake when I replaced the clutch by using the stock pressure plate. I should have upgraded to a KEP or similar. The 6 puck copper metallic disc is very good, and I am sure it is still in good shape. An upgraded PP and lightweight flywheel would make this the ultimate setup.

When I installed the down pipe, I forgot the crushring between the down pipe and the test pipe. It is only 3 allen bolts, slip in the crush ring and put it back together. It is a pretty simple job, but there is a small exhaust leak there until the crush ring is put in. All the other crush rings were installed (between the turbo and crossover, turbo and down pipe, etc.) The ONLY one that was not installed was the one between the test pipe and down pipe.

The oil pressure sender cuts out intermittently and should be replaced. I bench tested the sender and found that it was bad. I have not had a chance to replace it, but I believe it is a $50 part new and can be found for next to nothing used.

Interior.
The rear carpet piece had holes cut in it for speakers by a previous owner. This is just a snap in replacement which could be found for $50-$60 from a parts car. There is ONE VERY SMALL crack by the airbag on the dash. There is no other cracks. The rest of the interior is VERY nice. The rest of the carpet is very good. Seats are brand new. Everything electrical works. (However the Cruise control is intermittent. It works 80 percent of the time. Every now and then you have to click it several times to get it to work.)

Exterior. The paint looks good except for a few places. I was planning on a respray. The problem areas are as follows. Passenger side front fender: car slipped off jack and damaged bottom (underneath) of fender. I have a replacement but it needs to be painted/installed. It is noticeable if you are looking for it. Roof: Paint is dull. Driver side rear quarter: paint is dull. No batwing. Other than that the paint is very good and shiny. Keep in mind that I am very picky. What you might consider fairly shiny, I would think is dull. Again, I am VERY **** about little things. I also want to be as honest as possible and disclose everything, no matter how minute the detail. The paint overall is pretty nice, and I get compliments on the car every day.

Pictures can be seen here:

930S wheel has been removed and sold!! airbag wheel is included!

Picture was taken BEFORE SFR exhaust!!

(the stainless steel one is mine)

[IMG]
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y38/trwright/exhausts006.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y38/trwright/exhausts011.jpg[/IMG]

I can take pictures of anything else upon request. Something beyond my control has come up, and I must sell the car quickly. $10k is what I am asking for a VERY quick sale. (I paid $10k when I bought it stock!) I just put nearly $3,000 into the car with the turbo and exhaust a few weeks ago. I know that this is a great bargain, and the timeframe I have to work with reflects that. Also, again I have been VERY honest in this ad. Probably too honest!! I think I may have made the car sound a lot worse than it is!!

I get compliments on it every time I drive it. PM TurboX or special tool if you would like another opinion. TurboX has driven the car and special tool has spent a lot of time in the passenger seat tuning the car. I also have some videos of it on the dyno. Email me if you would like them. I would feel confident driving this car anywhere. (I actually just took the car on a 400 mile trip last week. ) I am also willing to help with delivery.

Car is located in Upstate NY.
Old 10-01-2005 | 08:18 PM
aeronautica86
Three Wheelin'

this car should sell instantly....

edit: sorry you have to sell the car, it seems like you just got it where you wanted it - hope things work out for you
Old 10-01-2005 | 08:40 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Sorry to hear that Ted. It's a nice car too. I would think it would sell very quickly too.

Old 10-01-2005 | 08:44 PM
TRWright
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Yeah thanks for the comments. Please no more PMs or emails asking if I will part it out.

I will be in another come spring time!! I am thinking maybe 968 3.0 L 8V turbo.

I work only 2 months out of the year (November and December) and something beyond my control has come up. Financially I am not going to be able to keep the car. It is sad, but that is life.

Hopefully it goes to someone who can truly enjoy it!
Old 10-01-2005 | 08:47 PM
NZ951
Race Director

Gutted, for many reasons.
Old 10-01-2005 | 08:50 PM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

I'll talk to the wife / boss / warden tonight.
Old 10-01-2005 | 08:59 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by tedwright
Yeah thanks for the comments. Please no more PMs or emails asking if I will part it out.

I will be in another come spring time!! I am thinking maybe 968 3.0 L 8V turbo.

I work only 2 months out of the year (November and December) and something beyond my control has come up. Financially I am not going to be able to keep the car. It is sad, but that is life.

Hopefully it goes to someone who can truly enjoy it!
Dont you dare build a 3.0L 8V in the future! I'll sell you mine. I need to dump this junker for an F3000 car I am building so I can race!

Old 10-01-2005 | 09:08 PM
special tool
Banned

This car is wired for quick connect of the Zeitronix datalogger/wideband - as in 30 seconds to connect.
Car has 4 map cockpit switchability (#3 and #4 not currently installed)
Compression numbers were excellent.

The powerband is 3 miles long and it is violently fast. It would take a hell of a machine to stay with it out of the corner - I can't think of any.
If youy like DE's and have a short track - you will look good.
Old 10-01-2005 | 09:16 PM
Jeremy Himsel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tedwright
I work only 2 months out of the year (November and December) and something beyond my control has come up.
You're not the Santa or elf guy at the mall are you? Sorry to see you have to put it up for sale but it should go fairly quickly. A good car for Lart.
Old 10-01-2005 | 09:27 PM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Ted, Before you commit to sell the car get in touch with me..
Old 10-01-2005 | 09:40 PM
ibkevin
Defending the Border
Rennlist Member

Rest In Peace

What the hell is going on around here?? So many excellent cars are on the block at clearance prices, I sure as hell hope this isn't a sign of the times!

Ted, sorry to hear this and I hope this all works out well and in a timely fashon.
Old 10-01-2005 | 10:20 PM
DDP
Rocket Scientist
Rennlist Member

I hate you Ted.
Old 10-01-2005 | 10:52 PM
jimbo1111
Banned

Sorry to here about the fire sale Ted. I hope everything works out for you. Good luck
Old 10-01-2005 | 11:28 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I don't care about your car Ted. I do care about you weathering what ever is going on. Hang in there man. No need for us to know, just know yourself that we're with you.
Old 10-01-2005 | 11:33 PM
special tool
Banned

Its kind of a sensitive issue with him. His Korean girlfriend gave him such a beating and he didn't have health insurance for the hospital bills.

I think Lart has a picture from the ordeal.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: I can't avoid it! my 951 for sale!