944 Turbo S tuning!

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2005, 07:04 AM
jimbo_ray
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 944 Turbo S tuning!

Hi

Im in the process of modd'in a 944 turbo S (which im currently searching for doh!!!) Basically im gonna be spending around $4k on the engine what would be the essential parts to do when tuning???

I hear the head gaskets are weak, is this true??

Cheers
Jimbo! :

Last edited by jimbo_ray; 10-03-2005 at 07:30 AM.
Old 10-03-2005, 08:07 AM
special tool
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

NO - it is NOT true.
Whoever told you this is under the impression that we still tune 951's the same way as in the 80's.
My 500+ HP 951 uses ONLY a widefire gasket - no o-ring, no metal gasket.
These engines are very tough when they are tuned correctly and their turbochargers are run in their efficiency zones.
Old 10-03-2005, 08:34 AM
jimbo_ray
7th Gear

Cool so what would you suggest spending the 4k engine money on??

Cheers
Jimbo!
Old 10-03-2005, 11:26 AM
Evan70
Pro

Ok, so if I understand correctly, you don't have the car picked out yet? If that's the case, it's really going to depend on the state of the car. You can spend $4K in the blink of an eye just catching the car up on maintenance. As to the head gasket being weak, not really. Where people run into problems is when they start increasing the boost over stock on the original stock headgasket. Otherwise if the ECM tune is good and the A/F is good, you shouldn't have any headgasket issues. Here's a list of some things that you'll want to do (or at least check) if they haven't been done on the car:
Maintenance:
headgasket, if it's original you'll want to go ahead and get it out of the way. I like the MLS myself.
belts & waterpump (unless they've been done within the last 30K miles)
plugs, wires, cap & rotor
vacuum lines/hoses
coolant hoses
brake pads/rotors
shocks
tires

Upgrades:
Chips or MAF from Vitesse (MAF comes with chips, if you have the money get it with the SMT-6.)
Injectors (at least 55lb, which are really needed even for the stock Turbo S with Vitesse chips)
Exhaust (test pipe at least)
Turbo (if you go this route, just buy the whole kit (Turbo, MAF, etc) from Vitesse)

As to the engine itself, I personally wouldn't mess with it unless you have a lot more than $4K to spend. The stock 2.5L is very stout, and can make awesome power just by upgrading the turbo, MAF, etc.
Old 10-03-2005, 12:24 PM
Andy
Instructor

Lucky for you the the Vitesse Stage 2 kit is only $3600!
Old 10-04-2005, 04:41 AM
jimbo_ray
7th Gear

Hehe notice that the other day looking at their website!! Cheers for the info!!

I assumed their would be a big maintenance cost at the begining depending on condition!! I would be inclind to replace the hosing/vacuum lines anyway!! After reading it, it would seem also a very good idea to get the belts changed to fresh new ones!!! I assume the cambelt is a belt not a chain? Then I might invest in Vitesse Stage 2 Kit and some 55lb injectors and a better head gasket!! I can see this creeping easily over $4k think im already upto $5k with what I've mention'd dooooh!!!!

Cheers once again!!
Jimbo
Old 10-04-2005, 10:21 AM
Evan70
Pro

Yeah, it can easily top $4K real quick. Mine needed a little more work than most, but I've spent probably $5K-$6K in the 10 months that I've owned it mainly on maintenance/repairs. There's maybe $500-$1K in upgrades in there, but then it also probably has another $2K of maintenance/repairs coming up in the near future (clutch being the big one). The car is pretty amazing though, with just the basic mods that have been done to it. I honestly think I could hit 300rwhp if I ever get some larger injectors and get the chips fine tuned. Of course then I'll want 350, then 400...

Quick Reply: 944 Turbo S tuning!