Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Where is the temperature gauge sender?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2005, 07:31 PM
avainio
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where is the temperature gauge sender?

Where exactly is the temp gauge sending unit located? My gauge fluctuates and finally jumps to the red zone and sticks there, causing the central warning light to come on. The car does not actually overheat, at times the gauge just bounces down into the mid normal range. The problem is getting worse. I searched the old threads and never did come up with a definitive answer. Can someone please post a picture of the location of the sender and any tips on removal and/or testing? Thanks!
Arne.
Old 09-24-2005, 07:38 PM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Right underneath and slightly behind where the water neck comes out of the head, you'll find two sensors. The brass one with the spade connectors, second one, is the temp gauge sender. The one with the blue connector on it, is the temp sender for the DME.

Make sure they aren't touching or the wire behind them isn't fraying. The track car did the exact same thing the other day and we noticed one fray sticking out making contact with the other lead.
Old 09-24-2005, 07:45 PM
avainio
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks. Can I get to this without taking the manifold off? Does anyone have a part number for the sender?
Old 09-24-2005, 07:55 PM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can, it can be sort of tricky. I've done it but the washer is a PITA when you go to put it or a new one back in, this is without taking the coolant pipe or anything off. If it turns out to be the sender, paragon has them all as I'm sure many others do as well, just tell them the temp gauge sender.
Old 09-25-2005, 01:30 AM
avainio
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks Bret, I found it. It does look like a PITA, the wires are pretty close together and the vacuum venturi pipe is pressing on them and may be pushing them together. There is not a single connector, but 2 spade connectors that are exposed. They might be touching and causing the gauge problem. I was afraid I was going to eventually have the needle fall off as it was bouncing so hard and sticking hard.
Old 10-02-2005, 12:01 AM
avainio
Addict
Rennlist Member

The temp gauge sender was the problem. I changed it today and the gauge works great. The washer did fall off several times, there just wasn't any room to get my hand in there. I finally used one of those long 3 fingered spring claw tools to hold the washer and the body of the unit and lowered it right into place. Draining the radiator beforehand didn't seem to help. A lot of coolant came pouring out when I took the sender out. Thanks Bret!
Arne.

Quick Reply: Where is the temperature gauge sender?