Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

good mid-price tire?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2005, 12:09 PM
Evan70
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

225/50 and 245/45. On the 86 951 I had I switched from the stock size to the larger size and noticed zero negative effects. The 7" and 8" rims are perfectly sized for 225 and 245 respectively, and are what most manufacturers spec for those rim sizes.
Old 09-23-2005, 12:18 PM
Dr. Dynamics
Pro

Man, I'm starting to think I was a suicide driver with my 712's

I ran with Yokohamas A520's before and eventhough the grip was better, they only lasted 10k miles and were really noisy. Knowing I sacrificed some grip (not that much), I switched to the 712 and they did'nt feel that bad. I did loose cornering stiffness, noticeably, but my wife was happier since it was nicer to drive daily. My times at the track did not suffer more than a second, and here we have 90-105 dgree dry track days. They do get noisy with time but comparing 70 buck to 110, it was a good compromise.

I did notice that they vary treadware with size. Maybe thats why some people don't like them. I do drive VERY hard on the street. P.R has very good corners.

Whent back to Yokohamas Paradas Spec II thoughand they feel MUCH better. My 951 has S02's and eventhough they are a little old, they feel great.
Old 09-23-2005, 04:27 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Eric pm Matt H. (that's his rl name. He can get you a better deal on tires than anywhere. His company sells Fuzions as well.
Old 09-23-2005, 04:47 PM
awilson40
Three Wheelin'

Another vote for the Fuzions... I ran Potenza's before and they are a hands down winner. The Potenzas wouldnt hook up for crap. I would spin in 1st and 2nd on dry pavement and forget about in the wet.
Snow was impossible. I replaced with the Fuzions right before 3 inches of snow and had little problems at all. I hook up great on dry pavement and much better on wet.
I have had them for almost a year and they are still quiet and show very little wear.
Old 09-25-2005, 08:33 AM
DanR 1201
Instructor

Have you got Federal SS595's over there? Got them on another car (rear engined turbo) and very impressed with them.
Old 09-25-2005, 11:55 PM
cag4
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

I put the yoko es100s on mine and like them quite a bit -- but haven't had anything else on the 951 to compare with. (I also had them on the 930 and they were great).

I also went with the larger fitment, 224 fronts, 245 rears, and the balance is great and everything fits well and looks good too.

cag4
Old 09-28-2005, 03:26 PM
Zu_langsam
Instructor

I can not believe all of the good reviews about fuzions. I have never bought a tire that I have been more dissatisfied with. Very soft sidewalls that roll over like crazy, the inner tread blocks are all small and independent and wear/ cup badly. No feedback and sloppy handling. Will never purchase again.
Old 09-28-2005, 04:44 PM
littlejt1
Racer

Fuzion ZRi...got a se on my car 225 on fron, 245 on rear. Ride, and handle great, and didn't break the bank! Also they have decent wet weather traction!!
Old 09-28-2005, 04:48 PM
951North
Pro

Originally Posted by Zu_langsam
I can not believe all of the good reviews about fuzions. I have never bought a tire that I have been more dissatisfied with. Very soft sidewalls that roll over like crazy, the inner tread blocks are all small and independent and wear/ cup badly. No feedback and sloppy handling. Will never purchase again.
In a word, Hype. "New and Improved"

*edit* The above statement I made has no factual validity, I was in a weird mood yesterday, sorry. But others do bring up valid points below, tire pressures, etc...

I too am looking for a mid to mid-high budget tire for replacement in the spring.

I was originally looking at Toyo's but through experience, research here and on the web, as well as talking to my tire shop guy, I am thoroughly confused...

My Discussions can be viewed here:

https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turbo-and-turbo-s-forum/228801-toyo-proxes-t1r-vs-ra1-update2-link-for-tire-test-update-now-others.html

I found the article from grassroots motorsport quite enlightning

As of yet I don't see the Falcon st-615's in stock sizes for the 951, but here's hoping they will by april 2006.

Last edited by 951North; 09-29-2005 at 12:58 PM.
Old 09-28-2005, 04:49 PM
littlejt1
Racer

"I can not believe all of the good reviews about fuzions. I have never bought a tire that I have been more dissatisfied with. Very soft sidewalls that roll over like crazy, the inner tread blocks are all small and independent and wear/ cup badly. No feedback and sloppy handling. Will never purchase again."

Zu-- maybe you got a bum set...I did a lot of research on tires as I was in the same boat, wanted the performance but not spend the $$ I love em! IMHO, best tire for the $$.
Old 09-28-2005, 04:54 PM
Evan70
Pro

Zu, are you sure you had proper pressures in them? Or possibly as Jeff says, you might have just gotten a bad set maybe. I've driven quite a few high performance street tires and several R compound DOT treaded tires, and the Fuzions are a very good for a STREET tire. I'd take them over several higher priced models even if price wasn't a factor.
Old 09-28-2005, 05:45 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

awilson, which model of Potenza.

Zu - can you PM with details. I know some people who would love to hear your feedback.

As to the suggestions:
The Kumho 712 is the biggest POS tire every made for the following reasons: very short tread life (which might be a plus!), pitiful wet weather performance, once heated they are scary to drive on, after about 5K miles you will not find a more noisey tire.

Kumho Ecsta MX: I hated my set. They had less traction that my bald as a table S-02PPs. However, I know plenty of people who like them. I have two in my garage that have come apart and professional tire engineers are not quite sure why.

ES100 is a nice mid grade option. Personally, I think they are too prone to edgewear (by design) for me to like them. They have nice street characteristics. The breakaway on track is not to my liking. they dont last a long time, which is sort of a Yoko trademark. Other than that they are a nice mid level choice, not top...not bottom.

Falken is limited in sizing and makes a better auto-x/semi track tire than a street tire. I have had numerous sets of Falken tires and noise is my only real complaint from them. I do not use their street tires any more because there are better, more available solutions.

BFG KDW Sport is getting good reviews but I have not had time to actually do any testing with them.

Fuzion ZRi (I am biased) is an excellent street tire. It is designed and built by Bridgestone. In testing the only mid level tire that came anywhere near it in performance was the ES100; the Falken, Kumho, Sumitomo, etc. were not close at all, even in dry grip. They are also a good track tire for the occasional DE. They are NOT particularly good auto-x tires. They heat up too fast.

If you are looking at any Bridgestone or Firestone (or Fuzion) products, PM me. I can generally get you a better price than Tire Rack and you dont have to pay shipping (though you will have local taxes). I can also get most any size same day...most cases.
Old 09-29-2005, 09:22 AM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Erik, PM box is full!
Old 09-29-2005, 01:05 PM
EdC
Pro

Zu: "Very soft sidewalls that roll over like crazy, the inner tread blocks are all small and independent and wear/ cup badly. No feedback and sloppy handling."

As I use the Fuzions as a street tire, I have not experienced this. No unusual wear or cupping, I can't say that the side walls are "very soft and rollover. The street handling is not significantly different that the Dunlop Sports they replaced. For the price difference between the Fuzions and others available at the time, I couldn't justify spending more for a street tire for a daily driver.
Have you had a good four-wheel alignment lately?
Old 09-29-2005, 03:18 PM
Zu_langsam
Instructor

I'll clarify a bit...I run them with factory specified 36psi. I only have them on the rear, and I drive the car pretty hard. When i first put them on (replaced dunlops) the car almost felt as if it needed rear bushings b/c of all of the sidewall deflection. I decided that I could deal with it for a while as a street tire, then I went down to georgia to instruct at a driving school (didn't want to trailer my race car) and they really took a beating there. Before i get blasted with "this is a street tire, not a race tire", etc etc I am aware of this, i simply had higher expectations seeing as I have had the car on track a couple times with street tires. There is not an issue of grip, they have commendable grip, I have an issue with how much the sidewalls roll and the wear, The outside tread blocks look fine, the outer 1/2 of the middle tread section is destroyed and this is with only 2 20 min sessions. My tire installer also noted when he installed them they were both out of round and that even with the roadforce balancer he could not garantee that they would be vibration free, he also told me that if i noticed an issue with this then tire rack would send me new ones since they are out of spec. (2 weeks later and before I had a chance to go back and see him I pretty much destroyed them on track so I decided to just let it go and make a better purchase decision next time) I bumped up pressures a little but did not see much in the way of a change. Oh well, maybe i just got a bad batch, i'm glad that everyone else has had a good experience with them

Quick Reply: good mid-price tire?