Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

getting rid of the air box and snorkel

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2005, 02:24 AM
bloodraven
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default getting rid of the air box and snorkel

Is there a way to do this without going the MAF route? Could a cone filter work? I don't mind it too much...but man is it big and blocky...
Old 09-20-2005, 02:53 AM
NZ951
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Yup, get a MAP setup

You are best to relocate the AFM, make a new intake pipe and position the filter behind the headlight.
Old 09-20-2005, 02:57 AM
TRWright
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by NZ951
Yup, get a MAP setup

You are best to relocate the AFM, make a new intake pipe and position the filter behind the headlight.
I would not recommend a MAP setup for use with the motronic.

TurboX did a cone filter on his, and it also allows you to get rid of the IC pipe with the 90 degree bend in it. I really doubt you will see any gain in power. You might actually lose power since you will be drawing in hot air instead of cool.
Old 09-20-2005, 03:01 AM
NZ951
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I meant MAP, as in a standalone, the Link AFM product (MAP with motronic) has been discontiuned for at least one year.
Old 09-20-2005, 03:07 AM
bloodraven
Race Car

yeah, I wasn't looking to gain anything...just get that big black blocky thing out of the way. I love it and hate it at the same time...lol.

But with the fans right there, would it draw in a lot of hot air?
Old 09-20-2005, 03:15 AM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts

That big blocky thing probably draws cooler air than about anything short of Andrews cool little box. I can't wait to lose my K and N cone, sits right over the radiator unless you make a new j-pipe which I didn't. I'm going back to stock for awhile myself
Old 09-20-2005, 03:24 AM
bloodraven
Race Car

what about finding a pipe that bends around and goes to the same place the snorkel does with the cone filter?
Old 09-20-2005, 03:24 AM
Olli Snellman
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would not recommend a MAP setup for use with the motronic.
Why?

Lot of satisfied MAP with Motronic users
Old 09-20-2005, 09:37 AM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I am in the process of doing the AFM relocation right now. I will see if it actually makes any additional horsepower. The thing that allows me to do it, is that i run AC delete, and dont have the alternator in the way. I shoved the AFM down there, and i don't see how it would fit with the alternator in the regular place....heck getting a maf pipe to pass through there is a tight fit.

I just need to get a 2 to 3" step up hose, and then i will start making the pipes. I plan on making a shield to isolate the filter behind the headlight. In the future i want to get rid of the fog lights, and use the openings to run air ducts, with the drivers side running straight into the air filter location.

I will do pre and post dynos for it as well.
Old 09-20-2005, 01:14 PM
Dr. Dynamics
Pro

I still haven't isolated it yet from hot air, but maybe it's what you are looking for. I just bought the air filter adapter at Auto Parts or Pep Boys and a K&N filter.

I haven't made any other setup since I want to go the Tech III way or AEM.

Last edited by Dr. Dynamics; 06-03-2014 at 06:07 PM.
Old 09-20-2005, 02:47 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

That is exactly what you don't want is a cone filter right there. Any gain is lost by sucking in hot air.
Old 09-20-2005, 03:13 PM
Dr. Dynamics
Pro

[QUOTE]I still haven't isolated it yet from hot air, but maybe it's what you are looking for.[QUOTE]

The guy just wants to eliminate the big box. If it's isolated and done correctly, why not?
Old 09-20-2005, 03:26 PM
jy951
Instructor

Originally Posted by bloodraven
Is there a way to do this without going the MAF route? Could a cone filter work? I don't mind it too much...but man is it big and blocky...
Well...I got rid of the stock air box on my 951 and in hindsight, it probably was not a GOOD thing (currently having a Lindsey MAF set-up installed). Like others have said "the best and COOLEST" airflow that you will get..is through the factory airbox set-up.

Why lose HP (performance) for cosmetic reasons (eliminating "bulky box")?

How do I know?

I also own a 2000 Audi S4 biturbo and ELIMINATED the stock airbox for a K&N set-up on that car too. IT WAS A BAD IDEA. In fact, I'm in the process of purchasing a STOCK S4 airbox (I sold my original - BAD MOVE) from an S4 that is being stripped for parts.

With my S4, I do MANY VAG (data logging) runs and I noticed that my timing nbrs were WAY out of line with other S4s that were making the same MAF nbrs (grams/sec) as me. After trolling posts on the AudiWorld b5-S4 forum, I DISCOVERED that my my S4 is BREATHING WAY TOO MUCH HOT AIR from the K&N set-up (other S4 owners with the K&N set-up also experienced similar data-logging nbrs). Thus, my S4 was losing performance compared to other S4s with the same MAF nbrs (g/s =grams/sec) and STOCK airboxes.

In my opinion, K&N set-ups WITHOUT some sort of enclosure around them (to keep warm engine air out / cool air in) are a TOTAL WASTE OF $$$$.

K&N set-ups (even as part of a MAF/MAP set-up) are the biggest piece of snake oil (along with 5 inch fart can mufflers on ricer cars) to come along!

If you do a K&N set-up YOU MUST ENCLOSE THE FILTER from hot engine air - even if u do a HOME-BREW airbox - to keep the COOLER AIR (more HP / better timing) in the intake system.
Attached Images  
Old 03-19-2010, 02:53 PM
thewitchdokta
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Has anyone done an enclosure for a cone style filter or a MAF? I was thinking abbout how to isolate such a filter fome the engine bay heat and envisioned some sort of isolating enclosure that draws from a hose/snorkel leading from the factory location. Does anyone have any pics of something like that?

I know LR sells a fiberglass divider that works in conjunction with their trick headlight cover, but I would rather keep the stock appearance of my car since the Toronto piggies harass you about conspicuous vents.
Old 03-19-2010, 03:04 PM
xupkid2
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did this same thing and used a MAF pipe to relocate it. Below is a pic. Seems to be ok. Biggest reason I got it was it is easier to work on the motor now and allows easier access to the front of the motor.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: getting rid of the air box and snorkel