Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2005, 06:33 PM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 94 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by tedwright
There is a sweet one for sale on this site in Cali for $13k. CCWs, Ledas, Full SFR headers, turbo back. It is a hell of a deal.
What site?

NVM i got it.
Old 09-18-2005, 06:40 PM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by fast951
Luis, Fiberglass parts are not suited for a street car.. There are lots of 951s out there!
Have you considered a good 951 body and just bring over your parts from the wrecked car?
If I get a hold of a nice unmolested 951. I will install my bilstein coilovers, M030 sway bars, the LM-1 and get one of your stage 3 kits , I will be very happy with that setup.
Old 09-19-2005, 02:43 AM
jy951
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MPD47
Your opinion. In case you didnt realize, widebody 944's arent exactly common place, and they take excessive amounts of cash to do right. The guy has a fair amount of mods, sounds like a fair amount over you. His paint is damn near perfect and the car was built "RIGHT" something that seems to be happening less and less these days because people "cheap out" and dont build things properly. A well sorted highly modified 944 Turbo commands a premium.
Well...I usually DON'T pass judgement on a 951 unless I've seen it in person, and I certainly don't take a post in a web forum, as an indicator of the QUALITY of work, or the extent of modifications done to the car.

Since you felt obligated, to compare my 951 indirectly to the 951 in the original post, I will enlighten you as to the EXTENT and QUALITY of the mods (body & engine) that I've had done over the years (since 1996). No, it's not a wide-body, but MOST potential 951 buyers are not looking for a widebody, so there will be a limited mkt. Given that, I still would not pay $27k for a 951, unless it had some trophies to its credit. The pics in my link were uploaded THREE years ago, that's when my 951 was SIGNIFICANTLY upgraded.

FOR THE RECORD, I didn't mention ALL the mod work that I had done on my 951 when I responded to your post. SOMETIMES IT DOESN'T PAY TO PASS JUDGEMENT ON A 951 that you haven't seen, or know the owner.

Rennlist Gallery Link:

http://gallery.rennlist.com/gallery/My-Updated-951
Attached Images     
Old 09-19-2005, 08:01 AM
pstickne
Instructor

I like the vents on your light. Did you order it or custom-fab?
Old 09-19-2005, 08:06 AM
Fen
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Personally I always think "yeah, right" when I read things like the sunroof doesn't work "Just needs a new relay switch. $15 dollar part-do it yourself." That right?

Why the Hell wouldn't you fit the $15 part yourself before asking $27,000 for the car if that's all it needs. Ditto no wipers and a temp gauge with no sender. If corners are cut on the prep to sell then corners are cut somewhere else.

Also (and bear in mind here I'm UK based so don't know exactly how it works) how does the Carfax mileage data get screwed up by fitting the interior from another car?
Old 09-19-2005, 11:59 AM
testarossa_td
Race Car

Nice car.

Old 09-19-2005, 01:38 PM
Jeremy Himsel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Lart,

For 27K you will be seriously disappointed with that car considering the original owner who built the car sold it for more then 10K less a couple of years ago and not much has changed since then. It is a nice car (I almost bought it) but changed my mind for a few reasons. First, that does not have “big red” brakes. They are merely stock 951 calipers painted red with Zimmerman x-drilled rotors but it does stop nicely. Last time I drove it had Pagid orange’s. The 50K in receipts covers not-only the current set-up, but the cost of parts and labor on the original owner’s previous car that had its motor swapped into the red car. Originally it had a K27 (that’s why you see both turbo’s listed in the ad) that is now in Perry’s car. The intercooler is not a Lindsey intercooler, but is Lindsey like as the end tanks were modded here locally. The front fenders are stock and not wide-body GT-Racing ones. The inside of the front rims rubbed a bit on the a-arm or frame when turned fully. The paint is nice but the rear panels and header panel were sanded a bit heavy and you can see the sand marks (if you look for them) through the paint. The transition between the c-pillar and the wide-body quarters is a bit wavy as is the header panel. The car is running RC engineering injectors without ballast resistors and is using APE K27 chips and MAF with the pro-flow optimizer for fine tuning. When I was in it last, the interior was not perfect, but was in nice shape. It did not have a driver-side seatbelt and IIRC, had some headliner or seal issues. The Sparco steering wheel was also a bit close to the signal switches and made turning a bit weird. The car required tuning to get it through AZ emissions and I believe it would have some serious issued making it through the CA smog testing so street driving might be an issue. The actual mileage is difficult to verify, especially since the drive-train is from another car. The car spools to 1 bar quickly but is not impressive until you start to hit 20+ psi which makes the low and mid range a bit disappointing. Up top it is very fast but short-lived. I am much happier with my Vitesse Stage-2. 1st gear synchro in the trans was blown a few years ago and repaired. The trans internals were is very good shape otherwise. The second owner bought it and put it up for sale locally with a 10K mark-up (he’s a used car dealer) and has had it for about 18 months or so. I’m assuming the current owner bought it from him. The original owner who built the car is an outstanding guy who really babied the car when it came to maintenance. He probably changed the oil every 750 miles and always used synthetic. When I was looking at it was a really good deal for someone who doesn’t work on their own car, but I questioned its ability to be comfortably driven daily and make good power. It would have made a fun track-only car though. Outside of the Technodyne head and GT-25 turbo (required custom x-over pipe and mount) everything else is fairly simple.
Old 09-19-2005, 02:12 PM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Jeremy Himsel
Lart,

For 27K you will be seriously disappointed with that car considering the original owner who built the car sold it for more then 10K less a couple of years ago and not much has changed since then. It is a nice car (I almost bought it) but changed my mind for a few reasons. First, that does not have “big red” brakes. They are merely stock 951 calipers painted red with Zimmerman x-drilled rotors but it does stop nicely. Last time I drove it had Pagid orange’s. The 50K in receipts covers not-only the current set-up, but the cost of parts and labor on the original owner’s previous car that had its motor swapped into the red car. Originally it had a K27 (that’s why you see both turbo’s listed in the ad) that is now in Perry’s car. The intercooler is not a Lindsey intercooler, but is Lindsey like as the end tanks were modded here locally. The front fenders are stock and not wide-body GT-Racing ones. The inside of the front rims rubbed a bit on the a-arm or frame when turned fully. The paint is nice but the rear panels and header panel were sanded a bit heavy and you can see the sand marks (if you look for them) through the paint. The transition between the c-pillar and the wide-body quarters is a bit wavy as is the header panel. The car is running RC engineering injectors without ballast resistors and is using APE K27 chips and MAF with the pro-flow optimizer for fine tuning. When I was in it last, the interior was not perfect, but was in nice shape. It did not have a driver-side seatbelt and IIRC, had some headliner or seal issues. The Sparco steering wheel was also a bit close to the signal switches and made turning a bit weird. The car required tuning to get it through AZ emissions and I believe it would have some serious issued making it through the CA smog testing so street driving might be an issue. The actual mileage is difficult to verify, especially since the drive-train is from another car. The car spools to 1 bar quickly but is not impressive until you start to hit 20+ psi which makes the low and mid range a bit disappointing. Up top it is very fast but short-lived. I am much happier with my Vitesse Stage-2. 1st gear synchro in the trans was blown a few years ago and repaired. The trans internals were is very good shape otherwise. The second owner bought it and put it up for sale locally with a 10K mark-up (he’s a used car dealer) and has had it for about 18 months or so. I’m assuming the current owner bought it from him. The original owner who built the car is an outstanding guy who really babied the car when it came to maintenance. He probably changed the oil every 750 miles and always used synthetic. When I was looking at it was a really good deal for someone who doesn’t work on their own car, but I questioned its ability to be comfortably driven daily and make good power. It would have made a fun track-only car though. Outside of the Technodyne head and GT-25 turbo (required custom x-over pipe and mount) everything else is fairly simple.

Damn if isn't Jeremy himself. That's great info Jeremy Thanks a lot.
Wow!! The power of rennlist.
I was about to contact the seller and make him a offert. Thanks many thanks.

I have been searching Autotrader and the nearest nice 951 is almost 1000 miles away WTH? all the other are in Ny, NJ etc. Iam not about to travel 2000+k miles to buy the car.
Old 09-19-2005, 05:58 PM
z3bra
Racer

Originally Posted by Jeremy Himsel
Lart,

Jeremy, is that the car that was for sale down in Casa Grande for quite a while?

On a somewhat related note, the guy that listed it must be thinking it's gonna sell any second now with 1300+ hits on the counter. I bet about 1200 of them are as a result of this thread.
Old 09-19-2005, 06:32 PM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by z3bra
Jeremy, is that the car that was for sale down in Casa Grande for quite a while?

On a somewhat related note, the guy that listed it must be thinking it's gonna sell any second now with 1300+ hits on the counter. I bet about 1200 of them are as a result of this thread.
Was the same guy at one point like 2 years ago selling a yellow 951 race car?
Old 09-19-2005, 06:41 PM
z3bra
Racer

Originally Posted by lart951
Was the same guy at one point like 2 years ago selling a yellow 951 race car?
No idea, sorry. I just thought a lot of the stuff on the one you posted a link to sounded like one that was for sale a year or so ago for about $25k or so.
Old 09-20-2005, 12:06 AM
Jeremy Himsel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Yeah, Alan had that car listed locally, but i dind't know he had it listed as being in casa grande. Lart, offer him 15 and see what he says.
Old 09-20-2005, 02:42 PM
jy951
Instructor

Originally Posted by pstickne
I like the vents on your light. Did you order it or custom-fab?
I purchased them from Lindsey Racing. The ones on my 951 were one of the first ones manufactured and the "fit/finish" is not the best. Hopefully, later generations of the naca duct headlight were better. I also wanted a matched set, but Lindsey wouldn't manufacture them in pairs.
Old 09-20-2005, 02:52 PM
jy951
Instructor

Originally Posted by testarossa_td
Nice car.

Hey!

Thanks for sigs - I like them!

In fact, I need something similar for my Y2K Audi S4 (Biturbo).

Did u use photoshop?
Old 09-20-2005, 03:34 PM
NZ951
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jy951
I purchased them from Lindsey Racing. The ones on my 951 were one of the first ones manufactured and the "fit/finish" is not the best. Hopefully, later generations of the naca duct headlight were better. I also wanted a matched set, but Lindsey wouldn't manufacture them in pairs.
Later generations are not any better sadly! I ended up have them cut out and matted to the stock metal cover. Not cheap, but the fitment was so bad I had to.

Quick Reply: Is it worth that much?