Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Mobile 1 vs. Amsoil

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2005, 12:38 PM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Murcia
For those who have used it, does Amsoil leak out of seals and gaskets quickly like Mobil 1, or is it more like dino juice?
I run Mobil 1 and my car is leak free.
Old 09-17-2005, 01:34 PM
FSAEracer03
TRB0 GUY
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ZV
Amsoil most certainly did NOT invent the synthetic oil. Mobil was making synthetic lubricants for the US military in the 60's, and Mobil was the pioneer in synthetic lubricants.

Amsoil released the first _consumer_ synthetic oil (only a few months before Mobil IIRC), but they did NOT "invent" synthetic oil.

My old Accord had 218,000 miles on it when I sold it, all original engine, burned less than one _pint_ of oil every 3,000 miles, and spent its whole life on either Castrol or Halvoline dino oil.

My father's Explorer (302 V8) has almost 180,000 miles on it and burns no significant amount of oil (less than a quart between changes). It's had a life of 6,000 to 8,000 mile change intervals (changed when the computer says to) and Castrol dino oil.

Hate to break it to you, but it's not Amsoil that's giving your engines those lifespans.

In terms of price to performance, Amsoil is awful. Its arguable-at-best real-world performance increase over Mobil 1 does not come close to justifying the price differential.

"My friend did crack for 14 years and it never killed him! His brother shot up heroine for 18 until he died... but my buddy who played cricket got hit by a semi crossing the road.

Hard drugs aren't bad for you, CRICKET IS!!!"

The point isn't that your car won't be ok on dino oil, it's that some oils lubricated parts better... the better the lubrication, the less stress and longer life the motor will have.

Price to performance? It costs less when you pay almost double the cost for it, but don't need to change it until 3+ times the mileage.

I've pulled the oil on many cars with many types of oil, and dino oil when it runs hot, burns up black as heck. Mobil 1 supersyn lasts under normal conditions for ~5k miles without starting to get the foul oil smell as it changes composition due to heat.... but with every single car that has had Amsoil in it, I wouldn't have known the difference between 15 miles or 15k miles.

The last one was the Tilo's 928 racecar. It had an oil cooling problem and was running normally at an oil temp of 230. At a couple tracks the owner saw the temp gauge peg past 260. He ran amsoil, and when I repiped his oiling system with a new cooler and some goodies ( ) the oil that came out showed no signs of problems.
Old 09-17-2005, 03:42 PM
Mike Murcia
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Peckster
I run Mobil 1 and my car is leak free.
That's nice, but not what I was asking. Does anyone have experience with Amsoil in this area?
Old 09-17-2005, 05:38 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Murcia
For those who have used it, does Amsoil leak out of seals and gaskets quickly like Mobil 1, or is it more like dino juice?

Amsoil will leak just like mobil 1, maybe worse on old engines.

I run 20w50 series 2000 in my 944-spec. Even on rebuilt motors if you have seal leak it will leak alot with Amsoil. The cold flow properties are so go that it does that easily. That is similar with Mobil 1. I THINK it it may be more prone to this than Mobil 1. For my race motors based on how I have seen it and Mobil 1 behave after 25 min on the track I stick with AMSOIL.
Old 09-17-2005, 05:47 PM
Mike Murcia
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks M758.
Old 09-17-2005, 09:30 PM
LFA951
Drifting

Default Amsoil introduced the first synthetic oil

If you do your research ZV, you'll learn that Mobil 1 did not come out until 1974, two years after Amsoil introduced the first synthetic oil. Redline and Mobil 1 both have natural mineral oil ingredients in them, while Amsoil is 100% synthetic, so go ahead and check out Mobil 1 and Redline and you'll see they do not advertise 100% synthetic oil, cause it's not. Amsoil is the first and foremost authority on lubricants, not only oil, but fuel additives, racing greases, and air filters. Their filters even beat K&N in tests, the only reason why the younger generation is not familiar with them is cause they simply do not advertise and they do not sell their products at you cornerstore autoparts store, but they do have several dealers close by and it is not hard to locate one. Mine is less than two miles away from where I live. As for the price, it is very cost effective, the best is always cheapest and since regular motor oil has doubled in price over the last year, synthetic oil remains at a consistent margin of cost for us consumers. As for seal wear, Amsoil actually extends seal life as well since there is no carbon build up and heat is more adequately dissipated. So far FSA Eracer03 and M758 seem to have the most experience with Amsoil besides me here. Here is a link for those of who who have doubts about what I say...

http://www.performanceoiltechnology....dquestions.htm
Old 09-18-2005, 03:04 AM
pole position
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you serious ? You are posting a F&A link from Amsoil , that must be the truth........... could you provide less groupie talk and some cold hard independent facts ?
Old 09-18-2005, 03:15 AM
TRWright
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

pole, I believe he posted a link and you didn't. Maybe YOU should provide less groupie talk and some cold hard facts. . .
Old 09-18-2005, 04:19 AM
E-man930
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think a more fair comparison would be against mobile one's 20w50 racing oil...
the stuff with lead and other antifriction / good for your valves juices inside.
Can't run a cat though...
while I do belive amsoil is a good syn oil, I'm sticking with my mobile one.
E-man
Old 09-18-2005, 09:03 PM
LFA951
Drifting

Thumbs up Amsoil #1

Groupie? I am a living testament to the best product out there for lubrication. The 10+ years of experience I have with their products speaks for themselves.
I KNOW their products work, I have them in over 5 vehicles in my family. Google and do research online, visit all the websites you want, look for the results of all their tests against Mobil1 and the rest of the competition, you will find that Amsoil in undefeated in the lubrication tests.
I am not trying to sell it to anyone, I am simply educating those who as I, do NOT rely on advertisements, propaganda and what the majority goes with, to inspire me to use a certain product. It would make sense for people to go with Mobil 1 because it is available at every auto parts store in the country and is seen on tv commercials. Since it takes a little effort to find an Amsoil dealer
(most people are lazy), it makes it unknown to those who go with what everyone else uses.
Aside from their oil, I recommend their P.I. Fuel additive (Performance Improver) It makes your acceleration quicker and improves the smoothness of the the engine. Their oil and air filters are also great. So to those skeptics out there, I invite you to try out just one of their products 1 time, that's all you need to want to continue getting the finest synthetic lubricants available...
Old 09-18-2005, 09:30 PM
ZV
Racer

Originally Posted by LFA951
If you do your research ZV, you'll learn that Mobil 1 did not come out until 1974, two years after Amsoil introduced the first synthetic oil. Redline and Mobil 1 both have natural mineral oil ingredients in them, while Amsoil is 100% synthetic, so go ahead and check out Mobil 1 and Redline and you'll see they do not advertise 100% synthetic oil, cause it's not. Amsoil is the first and foremost authority on lubricants, not only oil, but fuel additives, racing greases, and air filters. Their filters even beat K&N in tests, the only reason why the younger generation is not familiar with them is cause they simply do not advertise and they do not sell their products at you cornerstore autoparts store, but they do have several dealers close by and it is not hard to locate one. Mine is less than two miles away from where I live. As for the price, it is very cost effective, the best is always cheapest and since regular motor oil has doubled in price over the last year, synthetic oil remains at a consistent margin of cost for us consumers. As for seal wear, Amsoil actually extends seal life as well since there is no carbon build up and heat is more adequately dissipated. So far FSA Eracer03 and M758 seem to have the most experience with Amsoil besides me here. Here is a link for those of who who have doubts about what I say...

http://www.performanceoiltechnology....dquestions.htm
What part of CONSUMER synthetic didn't you understand? Mobil was making synthetic lubricants for military and scientific applications long before Amsoil's consumer oil came out. Mobil was first in every scientifically valid way, Amsoil simply pulls out the technicality of being commercially available to the consumer earlier. Mobil's experience with synthetic lubricants is hands-down superior in terms of total time researching and developing the product.

And all those sites that come up on google searches are sites that belong to people who sell Amsoil. I'm sorry, but I'm not quite stupid enough to believe canned marketing materials from Amsoil's corporate HQ for my proof. If you're really not relying on marketing materials and advertising, then how about giving us a link to a site that doesn't sell Amsoil for this proof you claim to have.
Old 09-18-2005, 09:49 PM
phils87951
Instructor

Talking Sorry for the sell but your almost asking 4 it

Im definietly an amsoil guy, tried it for a year and i was sold
Im also a dealer.
You find it hard to find? you could be a prefered customer, order directly from their wed site dropped to your door most likely with in a day or 2 ( shipping is really fast).
You benefit from better than retail prices. ease of ordering and you get what is mostlikely the best protection for your expensive porsche engines wether you track it or not.
Mobile is pushing extended oil change intervals ( finally) Amsoil has had extended change intervals since they invented the stuff. less oil changes = less money, better for the environment, and better for your car, to me its hard to lose in this situation.

After 25 000km of track only use under the most severe conditions it has never let me down. Others have failed.

For those interested in becoming a prefered customer or even a dealer go to the web site www.amsoil.com and if you want to register as a prefered customer or a dealer, use my ZO # 13034888

Cheers
Philippe
Old 09-19-2005, 05:57 AM
Charlie944
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have been using Amsoil for ~3years in my NA and recenly in my turbo. Excellent oil and I do run 20k on my NA between oil changes using thier SDF oil filters. With the Preffered Customer discount it really is not that badly priced IMHO.
Old 09-19-2005, 09:20 AM
LFA951
Drifting

Red face To all non-believers...

Go ahead and research Mobil 1's website, Redline's website and any other non-related to Amsoil, and the case studies will show that Amsoil has beaten the competition on all tests. It was the first in synthetics, long before the over commercialized Mobil 1 was ever born. Where's your link to back up your extended wisdom and knowledge ZR?????
Old 09-19-2005, 11:18 AM
Jaak Lepson
Rest In Peace Jaak
Cable Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Folks ... I have been into Amsoil since 1986. I was a dealer, but my 9 - 5 job made it difficult to continue.

The reason I got into it was due to the IROC Camero racing series here in Canada. In 1985 Ian Phillips received a IROC Camero and GM provided a blueprinted 350 CI V8 for the race. After the engine was broken it< Ian ran the race season with Amsoil 20W50 racing oil. At the end of the season he had to send the engine back to GM (this is how GM tested engines) for teardown and inspection.

Ian got a call 10 weeks after he sent the engine back with GM asking if he had raced this motor. Ian stated that yes they did race with this motor .... al 20,000 miles. GM asked what oil did he use? Amsoil 20W50. GM thanked him.

Next year he did the same with a 1986 IROC and came in second at the Toronto Molson Indy. GM called him and asked if he had used Amsoil again. Ian stated he had and GM said to keep the engine. Ian raffeled off the car for charity.

The second was the Honda series in 1986. Ian's friend had a Honda doing racing at Mossport. A driver in front decided to knock gravel onto the track and this Honda had been sprayed with gravel causing a few holes in the rad. He did 2 more laps before he started to lose power so he camr into the pits. The wrenches opened the hood and noticed everything was melting. The quickly filled op the cooling syatem trying to save the engine. Once it had cooled down they pulled it and put it in my friends trunk (Olds 88). I saw the engine with all plastic parts melted, plug wires burnt and did it smell!!!

He took it to Scarbourough Engine rebuilders as the needed to be back on the track in two weeks. Scarbourough rebuilders called back and said there is not much wrong with the engine; only a few bushings and bearings had score morks on them.. The motor has the bearings and bushings replaced and was back on the track for the next race.

I have used it in all my vehicles with great results. One benefit is the gas milegae is allways better by at least 15%. On my 1999 Outback my highway was better than the EPA highway rating.

As for the question will it leak? Yes, just like any other synthetic oil.

The benefit with synthetic oils are that it cleans better and suspends the dirt. ou need a GOOD oil filter to remove the depostits. Change your oil filter more often, twice between oil changes with one that filters to particles around 10 microns or less. Do a search on particle sizes it will filter down to.

Quick Reply: Mobile 1 vs. Amsoil