951 Value

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2005, 12:50 AM
MPD47
The Carnage King
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 951 Value

I'm trying to get an idea as to where I'm at (even though the car isnt running) and where the members of rennlist would value my car once it's in its running condition. Basically, what would you pay for it. Your input is appriciated.

Make: Porsche
Model: 944 Turbo
Year: 1986
Engine: 2.5L
Color: Black (L041)
Approx Weight: ~2600lbs

- Modifications -

Engine:
New engine dropped in last winter (140k original spun a bearing)
Perfect compression (150psi IIRC across the board)
Vitesse Stage III Turbo
Lindsey MBC
Tial 38mm Wastegate (Open Dump )
944 Racing Short Shifter
HKS Super Sequential
Spec 3k Clutch w/ lightened pressure plate
Lindsey Racing Hard Pipes with HKS SSQ BOV
Tec3 with custom wiring harness (944 Enhancement)
SFR MAP pipe
Factory AC Delete Bracket
Lindsey 3 inch exhaust w/Borla XR1 Muffler
Zeitronix Display with Wideband
Approx: 400whp on pump gas

Exterior:
AIR Splitter
90mm Hella HID (5200k) Projectors, custom mounted in the bumper (where the fog/driving lights were)
GT Racing Slimline rear bumper
Lindsey Racing Stage V Nose Panel w/headlight delete
GT Racing Fiberglass front end (Fenders, hood, nose, bumper cover, splitter)
All parts perfectly matched to factory L041 Black

Interior:
Stripped interior
Sparco Pro 2000's
G-Force Racing 5 point's w/camlock
Redline Rollbar
Snap Off Steering Wheel Detachment
Sparco Alcantara Racing Wheel

Wheels/Tires/Suspension/Brakes:
CCW 3 Piece Polished Wheels
17x10.5 rear 265 S03
17x9 front 245 S03
Koni Yellows
968 Caster blocks
M030 front sway

Plus of course, all the basic maintenance on every other part on the car. Basically the only things that havent been replaced are the unibody, the torque tube, trailing arms, the transaxle, and bits and pieces of wiring and dashboard.

Last edited by MPD47; 09-16-2005 at 04:00 AM.
Old 09-16-2005, 08:28 AM
TheRealLefty
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mike, I'm stupid, I'll weigh in. You are asking the most difficult question in all of 951-dom. Simply because the value of your car to you, the value of the car as measured by the cost of your mods, and the value of your car to any given potential buyer are pretty much unconnected.

There seems to be a fairly dependable market value for mostly unmodded cars. 86-88 "virgin" cars have valued based mostly on condition and mileage, with most buyers willing to pay more for fresher cars, with or without light mods...wheels/chips/cat bypass. Sooooo, tired running 86's can be had for $2,500-3,500 here on the East Coast. Most 86-88 cars go for between $6,500 and $8,500 here. Super clean stock cars or lightly modded perfect cars can fetch $11-14K. 951S values are harder to pin down. Sometimes they go for 968 prices $16K +, but lately, I've seen decent high mileage ones sell for $11-12K.

Sadly, though, none of this applies to your car, IMO. All of your mods sound first class, but the guy who buys your car for a premium price must be on the same page as you are. He/she must have the same dream, like fiberglass, trust your workmanship, dig pencil beams and be able to get it through inspection in his/her home state. It's like the "find a mate" personals. Your match may be out there, but maybe not. If not, the offers you get will be very disappointing compared to the money you have in the car.

Best of luck with your sale, though. Cool car!
Old 09-16-2005, 02:54 PM
MPD47
The Carnage King
Rennlist Member

Right, I know the market of stockish ones fairly well. I'm actually more curious as to what people would pay would consider paying for this car, even though it IS a niche market. I'm not selling, atleast not this year, mostly I know I'm going to end up argueing with insurance about it soon. Thanks for your input though.
Old 09-16-2005, 03:03 PM
OriginalSterm
Race Car

Originally Posted by MPD47
...mostly I know I'm going to end up argueing with insurance about it soon.

Did something happen, or are you just looking to put a value on your car for insurance reasons?

With it running again and a 400 rwhp dyno sheet I think you could pull $14k-$15k. Might be easier with at least a partial interior or full cage though.
Old 09-16-2005, 03:12 PM
bearone
Three Wheelin'

Cool

you've got a race car that someone who has a bunch of $$$, doesn't want to do the work himself, will probably destroy it and get another and that individual is out there.

stock/near stock is what a lot of folks want.

when i was t-boned in feb in the 87944S i never thought i'd be able to come close to replacing it.

8 days later with the ins settlement in hand, i went back a 2nd time to look at the 951. i made an offer well below the asking price.

what'd i get you ask?
fresh motor, just gone thru by the ase, foreign born shop mech, said it wasn't making power, and needed to sell it.
new k276 turbo/not chipped, hoses, w/p, belts, near perfect paint, interior, cold a/c, boxter s wheels, bursch test pipe, koni/bilstein's and runs great, needed nothing.

i'm sure you've put a lot of attention to detail and done an excellent job on all that's been done but i'd never consider it.

Old 09-16-2005, 03:15 PM
MPD47
The Carnage King
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by OriginalSterm
Did something happen, or are you just looking to put a value on your car for insurance reasons?

With it running again and a 400 rwhp dyno sheet I think you could pull $14k-$15k. Might be easier with at least a partial interior or full cage though.
Greg, I've only got storage insurance on it right now, it hasnt been "road" insurned since last October so I know when I go to put a policy back on it, it's going to be a hassle.
Old 09-16-2005, 03:32 PM
JDeitz951
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

TheRealLefty summed it it up...I couldn't say it better.

Quick Reply: 951 Value