Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

consensus on thermal coating/powder coating intake and head?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2005, 11:24 AM
gcb951
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my $.02,
There is a coating that helps dissipate heat. It's the same stuff companies use for dirt bike cylinder heads, especially air cooled heads. So, you may want to look into that. As far as the intake manifold is concerned, I am hand polishing mine. What a pain in the *** that is. But once you start you can't stop. I am almost done and it looks damn good. But it is a lot of work. I am using a thermal blanket to insulate the turbo hot side and thermal wrap on the DP. This should help keep the heat out of the intake. Both the hotside of the turbo and DP have been Jet Hot coated as well. This won't just keep engine bay temps down but, it will also aid in a faster spool up. So, I think you should look into insulating the turbo and DP area instead of insulating the manifold. Powder coating the intake will look nice but I'm not sure you will gain any performance results. Nice eye candy though.
Old 09-15-2005, 11:56 AM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As far as the cam tower goes, high heat engine paint does a great job and last a long time. Clean it really well, then spray the whole thing. As it starts to get tacky, take carb cleaner or thinner and clean off the letters - which you can sand and polish ahead of time, along with the buttons on the top of the cam tower. two shots of 1200° engine paint on cam towers, polished letters. You avoid the heat of powder coat and you can do this in your own garage.

Old 09-15-2005, 12:02 PM
evil 944t
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thats a better approach in my book Ski. Looks good
Old 09-15-2005, 12:09 PM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

thanks! Here is another shot, jwl's engine after his 2.8L conversion

Old 09-15-2005, 12:11 PM
evil 944t
Rennlist Member

Is that 2.8ltr in use yet?
Old 09-15-2005, 12:26 PM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

oh yeah...but no dyno yet. Just got the boost turned up to 14 at the moment.

Old 09-15-2005, 12:33 PM
evil 944t
Rennlist Member

Cool, I'm sure you'll keep us posted. Sorry about the Ot emwporsche
Old 09-15-2005, 02:29 PM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

www.hyperkote.com

VERY knowledgeable about ceramic coating. That is all they do. They even now can do coating on internal engine parts with no worries.

They did my headers, downpipe and intake. Can have inside and out done, or jsut one or the other.

I certainly saw a difference on the headers, as when at night after good runs, the headers had the red/orange glow to them indicating extream temps.

After coating, I could not see any color at all, except in a coupl of pin hole spots that were seams on the header metal wraps. So obvioulsy there was a major difference in the temps before and after.

I know someon posted in here about before and after temps of headers for ceramic coating and was like 250 degree drop.
Old 09-15-2005, 02:34 PM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

That Hyperkote also offers the heat dispersing coating. I have been menaing to ask them the results with using it on IC, IC pipes etc.
Old 09-15-2005, 02:37 PM
emwporsche
Three Wheelin'

"As far as the cam tower goes, high heat engine paint does a great job and last a long time. Clean it really well, then spray the whole thing. As it starts to get tacky, take carb cleaner or thinner and clean off the letters - which you can sand and polish ahead of time, along with the buttons on the top of the cam tower. two shots of 1200° engine paint on cam towers, polished letters. You avoid the heat of powder coat and you can do this in your own garage."

I think I'll go this route

thanks guys!
Old 09-15-2005, 03:03 PM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I'd think that very little would be better than leaving the head bare metal. Maybe polished, but I'd think any sort of coating would tend to trap heat rather than dissipate it (aluminum is a very good thermal conductor). If anything, I'd say polish up the head and make it look nice. If you really want black, I doubt the coating would really affect it THAT much, but if you're looking for pure performance, I'd be concerned about it.

Quick Reply: consensus on thermal coating/powder coating intake and head?