WTH. I got smoked by a SRT-4 Neon

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2005, 10:12 AM
streckfu's
Rennlist Member

Received 668 Likes on 448 Posts

Originally Posted by Ryan in SD
you sound like a troll with a little little head

He's a running joke. Literally. You don't have to school him as he's a fake persona.
Old 09-06-2005, 10:55 AM
Antonio951
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

porshhhh951 the only thing i smoke is regular tobacco

PT Cruiser's high-output 2.4L 16 valve DOHC turbocharged engine creates 220 horsepower at 5,100 rpm and 245 TQ of available peak torque from 2,400 to 4,400 rpm

SRT-4 has the same 2.4L 16 valve DOHC turbocharged engine with 230 HP and 250 TQ, pretty close nrs as they are the same EXACT engine with a little more "tweaking" made on the srt-4.
Old 09-06-2005, 11:29 AM
ninefiveone
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 25 Posts

"speed is about money, not the badge"

Truer words were never said.

It's too bad people can't respect a fast car that isn't the same as their own.
Old 09-06-2005, 11:31 AM
Ryan in SD
Instructor

Originally Posted by streckfu's951
He's a running joke. Literally. You don't have to school him as he's a fake persona.
you guys are on crack! what do you feed that guy?
Old 09-06-2005, 11:37 AM
Kool
Part of the IN Crowd
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by f1rocks
At least it only took Chrysler 20 years to do what Porsche did in the 80's...

Let's see how many forums live in 20 years for the Neon if there are any still screwed together....
Anyone remember the Dodge Omni GLH(goes like hell) and GLHS(goes like hell somemore) they are still pretty popular in SCCA rally races. That was Chryslers rocket of the eighties. I don't know HP numbers but I am pretty sure that they were over 200 hp stock and obviously could be upgraded fairly easily like most turbo cars can be.

So I guess what I am saying is Chrysler didn't take 20 years. But as far as lifespan a Porsche is definitely a better built car.

Isn't that kind of what Porsche is all about? David vs. Goliath type of thing. Not the most powerful not the fastest but always there when the race is over.
Old 09-06-2005, 11:39 AM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Where is that video of the 500hp Neon??
Old 09-06-2005, 11:43 AM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Here it is!
Old 09-06-2005, 12:16 PM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 94 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by lart951
That is so true. The 944/951 was subject to a numerous head to head comparisons with cars from all over the world. Every single magazine tested the 944/951 against other Porsches, Lotus, jaguars, nissans , toyotas, fords , chevrolets, mitsubishis, renaults, lamborginis and even ferraris. The 944/951 is indeed one of the premier sports car of any era. No production car of the 80's was as easy to drive fast as the 951 not even the mighty 911 carrera or the fat 928. Porsche knew that the 951 had a lot of potential for development but due to slow sales and other factors they decided to end the production of the 944/951/968 line. Bur just look at the numbers, the 1993 968 Turbos S produced 369ft of torque at merely 3k rpm the mighty 3.3 liter 911 turbo produced 354pnds of torque at 4800rpm. Who can deny the racing heritage of the 944/951/968 series which is no stranger to racing fans. The roots of the 944/951/968 line lie in the 924 Carrera Gt raced at Le mans and many other championships including the fabulous Turbo Cup. But even after many acomplishments all over the world the 944/951 never gained the TRUE status of a Porsche despised by 911 & 928 owners also called a AUDI by the common people, nobody realy understood the true potential of our cars.

Well it's 2005 after all and I really don't care if some don't think that I AM DRIVING A PORSCHE but something I know for SURE my car is a 944 Turbo aka 951 and to me that is all that matters.

Heck yes I love my 944 turbo.
The above post is from another thread, anyway when the neon have a history similar to the 951 then perhaps we can talk.
Old 09-06-2005, 12:19 PM
Kool
Part of the IN Crowd
Rennlist Member

I bet everyone here loves their 951 otherwise we wouldn't be here.

It is pretty amazing that our cars being almost 20 years old still can hang with most modern sports cars. That is saying something.
Old 09-06-2005, 12:56 PM
sca037
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Kool
Anyone remember the Dodge Omni GLH(goes like hell) and GLHS(goes like hell somemore) they are still pretty popular in SCCA rally races. That was Chryslers rocket of the eighties. I don't know HP numbers but I am pretty sure that they were over 200 hp stock and obviously could be upgraded fairly easily like most turbo cars can be. < snip >
Yep, we still have the '86 GLH-S we road raced, and it's still a lot of fun!
They were 175hp / 175tq stock, and with a very little bit of tweaking ours got up to around 210hp (at 2400 lbs wet) that pulls so hard from 2500rpm we had to jump to 17" rubber to tame it.
Sure, it's a very crude implement compared to even our '85.5 944.....but it's an amazingly fast & fun little sh*tbox

Brian
Attached Images  
Old 09-06-2005, 01:01 PM
Jason_86_951
Drifting

My co-worker has a couple of those Shelby inspired Dodge's.
A 89' CSX with 6200 miles on it, and a 350hp GLHS.
The GLHS is fricken scary fast, rolling at 80mph on the freeway, mash it and you get sideways from wheel spin. Runs low 11's in the 1/4.

Still a Dodge though................lol
Old 09-06-2005, 01:27 PM
f1rocks
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Kool
Anyone remember the Dodge Omni GLH(goes like hell) and GLHS(goes like hell somemore) they are still pretty popular in SCCA rally races. That was Chryslers rocket of the eighties. I don't know HP numbers but I am pretty sure that they were over 200 hp stock and obviously could be upgraded fairly easily like most turbo cars can be.

So I guess what I am saying is Chrysler didn't take 20 years. But as far as lifespan a Porsche is definitely a better built car.

Isn't that kind of what Porsche is all about? David vs. Goliath type of thing. Not the most powerful not the fastest but always there when the race is over.
I actually worked at the plant that made those engines (Trenton Engine) They made the Hemi...the real Hemi not the Mexican version they are marketing now. The 2.0L that was the base for the newer 2.4L turbo is a better engine than the old 2.2 cross drilled but if you ever cut off the head deck of a 2.0 you would be scared at how thin the bore thickness is between the cylinders....there is zero room for any overbore or core shift. As a matter of fact our finish hone for the 2.0L could sense when the wall was MOVING and reject the block for thin wall condition...

Now the GLH engine...that had gun drilled water openings between bores after a few thousand miles they plugged and voila...warped head conditions....fix and it will do it all over again for you....to save money, we were supposed to use the tooling from the 2.2 for the 2.0L line. So the dimensions of the block had to be exactly the same. Then as the casting was designed, they decided to buy a new machining line for the block...just another 5 millimeters width and that could have been a much better engine.
Old 09-06-2005, 01:34 PM
testarossa_td
Race Car

Originally Posted by sca037
Yep, we still have the '86 GLH-S we road raced, and it's still a lot of fun!
They were 175hp / 175tq stock, and with a very little bit of tweaking ours got up to around 210hp (at 2400 lbs wet) that pulls so hard from 2500rpm we had to jump to 17" rubber to tame it.
Sure, it's a very crude implement compared to even our '85.5 944.....but it's an amazingly fast & fun little sh*tbox

Brian

I had one of those!! LOVED that car. Tons of fun to drive(most functional interior ever). Warped the head and at the time did not have the time or money to fix, so I had to sell her. Took Porsche to forget about it
Old 09-06-2005, 02:09 PM
Kool
Part of the IN Crowd
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by testarossa_td
I had one of those!! LOVED that car. Tons of fun to drive(most functional interior ever). Warped the head and at the time did not have the time or money to fix, so I had to sell her. Took Porsche to forget about it
Look Brent a case study directly below your post.

Seriously it is stories like yours Brent that makes me glad I drive a Honda and a Porsche.

I know that american car manufacturers have gotten better. But, they have a long way to come before they get my money. Especially Chrysler.

My wifes Tauras company car stalled on her on the highway with 200 miles on it. Dealer cannot replicate "have a nice day" oh and every once in a while the windows, doom light, and locks don't work either. This is on a car that has been in production for Eons.

I work for a supplier to BMW we build seats.

One of our more memorable issues was BMW kept rejecting seats due to a wrinkle in the seat cushion. After much debate our two quality groups agree to follow a seat all the way through both processes. We said we weren't doing anything wrong as did BMW. Well they followed a seat all the way through our plant agreed that it was ok. Sent to BMW it came off the truck fine but came off the end of the line with a mark. Make a long story short 3 stations down from seat install a line worker was putting his knee in the seat while installing something else in the car and that was the issue.

My point is that while the big three try to get by with the bare minimum the German and Japanese are building truly good cars and bickering about wrinkles in seats. Rather then sending out cars with known inherent issues.

I think that stories like what you have just told are part of the reason as to why american manufacturer have such a bad stigma. They will pay the price for that for a long time.

My $1.00(for the long post.)
Old 09-06-2005, 02:11 PM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You're a disgrace to the list, racing with your wife and kids in the car.

When you saw you were losing you should have pushed them out the passenger door! What were you thinking?

Quick Reply: WTH. I got smoked by a SRT-4 Neon