Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Vaseline and anodized wheels

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2005, 05:26 PM
EdC
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vaseline and anodized wheels

After searching this site for advice on how to make my anodized forged Cup wheels look better, I decided to apply a thin coat of vaseline as some suggested. My wheels were clean, but dull and splotchy looking and not very pretty. After the vaseline they now have a smooth satin finish without feeling sticky. The vaseline worked great and I have now abandoned my thoughts of getting them reanodized.

Last edited by EdC; 09-05-2005 at 09:51 AM.
Old 09-04-2005, 05:30 PM
APKhaos
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Vaseline is the best possible treatment for Fuchs. That it works on anodised Cup wheels is news.
Old 09-05-2005, 03:00 AM
Epic2112
Addict
Rennlist Member

I don't get it, what id you fix with the vaseline?
Old 09-05-2005, 08:57 AM
mroberts
Burning Brakes

On an slightly related note, how can I get set-in brake dust off the lip of my Fuchs ? It resists 409 and P21S. What's the next step before a chisel ?
Old 09-05-2005, 09:49 AM
EdC
Pro

Epic 2112:
Although clean, my wheels' anodized finish had an almost chalky dull appearance with light and dark streaks and spots before I applied the vaseline with a dab on a paper towel. After application they took on a consistent satin fuinish with no spots or streaks.
Old 09-05-2005, 10:13 AM
TheRealLefty
Burning Brakes

In a pinch, a quick squirt and wipe with Tire Magic brand silicone tire dressing accomplishes the same appearance as Vaseline on Fuchs and Club Sports, but is not as long lasting and a little more likely to dry into dirty looking dust if you leave it unattended for too long afterwards. Works great for those last minute boulevard cruises, also helps keep calipers from getting that oxidized look.

Only price to pay for these comsetic treatments is a little diligence on wiping wheels and brakes down every now and then to keep dirt and grime from crusting on the sprayed objects.
Old 09-05-2005, 10:22 AM
RKD in OKC
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

What has happened is that some cleaner or an acid environment has oxidized the anodized finish. The best thing I've found the get rid of the oxidation as opposed to covering it up with vasaline or some gloss enhancing product is Sea Power Marine polish. A local detailer turned me onto this stuff after a local car wash frosted my club sports. It will remove the oxidation, then you can use your vasaline or wax or whatever to keep the finish from getting oxidized again or at least as quickly.

My neighbors thought I was nuts to remove each wheel off my car and spend hours cleaning the back sides as well as the front sides.

My current club sports have been deanodized and painted silver. They look great and are super easy to care for as any painted wheel. No more worries about which wheel cleaner to try to use that won't frost them.
Old 09-05-2005, 02:20 PM
ibkevin
Defending the Border
Rennlist Member

Rest In Peace

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the tip RDC, that Vaseline thing is very short lived.
Old 09-06-2005, 11:19 AM
Dr. Dynamics
Pro

You could also try the "warming" KY Jelly. The Fuchs might feel better
Old 09-06-2005, 03:07 PM
booster
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

"You could also try the "warming" KY Jelly. The Fuchs might feel better "

Only when used with ribbed rubber...........
Old 09-06-2005, 03:43 PM
951North
Pro

Default It's in the owners manual

Yes in the owners manual it says to apply a light coat of petroleum jelly to the wheels. Yes it brings out a nice satin finish, and now I can't keep the brake dust off them, arrghhh! I'll have to try that marine stuff...

jason.
Old 09-06-2005, 05:23 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 52 Posts

Default It's in the owners manual
Yes in the owners manual it says to apply a light coat of petroleum jelly to the wheels. Yes it brings out a nice satin finish, and now I can't keep the brake dust off them, arrghhh! I'll have to try that marine stuff...

jason.

Yea, I read that in the manual back in 88 when I bought the car and did it for two years...
I pulled the wheels and did the inside of the rims as well ....
No matter what you do ( except painting them ) these wheels will put you in an early grave ... They are beautiful when new but are a royal pain in the *** to keep up !! GOD forbid you have race brake pads as I do ( green pads from Porsche motor sports, the best break pads I have ever used, wks for both street and race ) their dust will eat at your wheels alive ....
I was very close to trying to get the clear-powder coated. There is a guy here in Ca, that claims he does them, but I had read a post on Rennlist that somebody else had done something like this and the wheel broke .. It seems that the process of powder coating them, weakens the wheels ( something to do with heat cycle annealing them ??) This is the club sport wheel that I am reffering
I have 2 sets of club sports and one set of the Turbo cup Mg wheels ( they a re a breese to clean because they a re painted )
Regards
Ed
Old 09-06-2005, 06:02 PM
DER951
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

Is Rejex any good on wheels?

Quick Reply: Vaseline and anodized wheels