Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Clock Replacement A/F Ratio Meter

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2005, 10:21 AM
TheRealLefty
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Clock Replacement A/F Ratio Meter

Decided that I want to to clean up my cockpit a little bit and have a lead on a nice matching VDO 2 1/16 Cockpit Series clock to place in my console to match the VDO boost gauge and MBC ****. My current A/F meter is a red light analog gauge that also sticks out about 1/8th inch more than the VDO boost gauge...doesn't look OE.

I seem to have lost my bookmark for the A/F LED meter that installs in the OE digital clock spot. Any links?

This swap may be a PITA for the return, but my OE clock doesn't back light anymore and I'm have to remove that dash section to fix it anyway, so why not do something a little slick while, I'm at it?
Old 08-27-2005, 10:44 AM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Rennbay
Old 08-27-2005, 08:06 PM
RK951
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

personally those flashing lights would drive me crazy, I would rather have something like this that fit our clock opening:

http://www.dynotunenitrous.com/store...?idproduct=131

if we could get enough people interested, perhaps they could create a "retrofit" model for the 951 which could do boost pressure, AFR, and clock
Old 08-27-2005, 08:19 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

7up, i know exactly what you are saying. I was going to add a AFR gauge to my car. On my buddies Evo he has an AFR and boost gauge mounted to the steering collum. Looking at that thing at night drives me crazy, so distracting! I decided not to get a AFR gauge just for that reason....
Old 08-27-2005, 11:41 PM
Travis - sflraver
Site Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

It does keep the passenger (girlfriend, wife, etc..) distracted for hours. Its almost like they forget about how loud your new exhaust is or how stiff the car rides with the konis cranked down.
Old 08-28-2005, 07:58 AM
TheRealLefty
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tee hee

Most of you probably haven't lost a lot of sleep over this kinda stuff, but the 951 is really a transitional car is terms of industrial and automotive design.

From the outside it reflects the 1980's Post- IMSA Fat Fendered Muscular Look Era...a la BMW 3.0 CS racers, E30 M3, Roush Trans Am Mustangs and profile FIA racers like the 934/5. But the late version interior, modeled after the traditional 911 look is typically German and decidedly retro. Very similiar, IMO, to the W124 Mercedes Benz 300E. Not single LED to be seen, right?

I'll snap a picture sometime of my existing console. I used the Lindsey two-gauge/MBC upside down in the radio slot and sourced an extra change cubby to replace the seemingly 10 pound factory equalizer. Looks totally "radio delete" except for the fact that I can't find an A/F Ratio Meter in the old VDO Cockpit look...thus the clock/afm swap.

PS. What's the best and easiest source of unswitched power near the front console for the soon-to-arrive analog clock?
Old 08-28-2005, 08:06 AM
Travis - sflraver
Site Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by TheRealLefty
PS. What's the best and easiest source of unswitched power near the front console for the soon-to-arrive analog clock?

The power to the old clock. I actually made a bus bar behind the dash from that power line. It runs my wideband, EBC and AF9 on the turbo.
Old 08-28-2005, 03:53 PM
RK951
Rennlist Member

Talking

Travis,
Would it be possible for you to put together a digital boost pressure gauge and/or digital AFR gauge as a drop in replacement for the clocks internal circuit board the way you have done fo the multicolor 10 LED light bar AFR?
Old 08-28-2005, 07:41 PM
Travis - sflraver
Site Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

I can change the AF9 gauge to read off of a 0-5v signal that would be supplied by an electronic pressure sender. I could even match a certain voltage range if you are only interested in a specific area. Like 10-15psi or something of the sort. I would need the white papers of the sender you would want to use and a week or so to sort everything out.
Old 08-28-2005, 09:51 PM
RK951
Rennlist Member

I probably didn't explain myself well enough. I'm not a big fan of the rainbow gauge display but would like to see a digital numberic display, just like the clock. In a fantasy world you would have the option of displaying boost pressure, AFR, exhaust temp, clock but just one would be a good option. Is there a way you could do this as a retrofit? If it was able to retain clock functionality, this would be a fantastic upgrade.
Old 08-28-2005, 10:45 PM
JoeN951
Instructor

Travis, do you have a picture of your wiring bus? I have a boost gauge with no power to the light and a EBC to install.
Old 08-28-2005, 11:20 PM
Musche
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Here you go buddy...

http://members.rennlist.com/951_racerx/

Link is on the left side of the home page.
Old 08-28-2005, 11:42 PM
mroberts
Burning Brakes

There's a guy out there that modifies narrowband A/F gauges so that the entire scale is spread over a voltage range from 0.7-1.0V. Gives you more resolution, and only lights up at WOT.

Not as accurate as a wideband, but arguably more useful than a standard gauge. Won't tell you how lean you're running - you just want to make sure that if you're on the throttle, at least one light is lit.

Stops the flashing at idle too.
Old 08-29-2005, 02:34 PM
testarossa_td
Race Car

Originally Posted by 7up
personally those flashing lights would drive me crazy, I would rather have something like this that fit our clock opening:

http://www.dynotunenitrous.com/store...?idproduct=131

if we could get enough people interested, perhaps they could create a "retrofit" model for the 951 which could do boost pressure, AFR, and clock
If I did not already have a digital boost gauge that looks like a nice option.

Quick Reply: Clock Replacement A/F Ratio Meter