Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Removing engine w/out removing X-member?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2005 | 09:44 AM
gcb951
Burning Brakes

Default Removing engine w/out removing X-member?

So, I'm a dumb ***. I have my engine hanging in the engine bay right now because I don't have the clearance to get over the cross member. I know the book says to take out, but I thought it could be done with out removing it.

I guess I will have to take the X-member out but I have a question about the torque tube. How much up and down movement is okay with out damaging the inside of it? When we first tried pulling the motor out, it would only raise up to where the torque tube housing almost hits the under body (tunnel) where the heat shield is. I did notice the shaft inside the torque tube did move independendly of the actualy tube itself. Did I damage it?

I figure my problem is not being able to pull the motor forward to slide the shaft out of the bell housing. So, once I get the X-member out that shouldn't be a big deal. I just want to make sure I didn't screw anything else up while moving the motor around in the engine bay. Let me know if you have experienced this so I can learn from it. Thanks.
Old 08-26-2005 | 11:25 AM
mark944turbo
Three Wheelin'

Yea, drop the crossmember or the transmission to slide the tt back, pick one.

There should be almost no up and down movement of the shaft inside the torque tube relative to its housing. It should spin with transmission in neutral, but not move around.

I doubt you hurt anything though..
Old 08-26-2005 | 11:50 AM
gcb951
Burning Brakes

Yeah,
I figure it will be easier to remove the X-member then the trans. Once I have the X-member out I should be able to pull the motor forward to slide the TT shaft out right?

Also, I will make a separate post for this but I have a machine shop in Port Jervis NY that can do the honing process correctly incase anyone needs that to be done.

Quick Reply: Removing engine w/out removing X-member?