Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

rear lights

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2005, 10:02 AM
firemed530
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rear lights

I am not sure what the part is called off of the top of my head but I have searched everywhere for the red lighted section between the tailights and have found them that says porsche and 944. Does anybody make one that says 951 or turbo?
Old 08-25-2005, 03:22 PM
testarossa_td
Race Car

There are turbo ones out there(rare). I think you will find very little love for them here. However there are a few who do like them.

You have for in-between tail light options:
Blank
944 raised script
Porsche
Porsche raised script
turbo
turbo raised script

ebay has them
Old 08-25-2005, 04:54 PM
z3bra
Racer

I think people would hate them less if the reflectors/appearance weren't so obviously different looking versus the stock lights. As it is, they just look wrong because they are so obviously an aftermarket piece.

Here's what I find most amusing about them though, if a company can secure the equipment necessary to manufacture the piece in the first place, how much harder would it be to get the damn things to actually match the real lights?
Old 08-25-2005, 05:09 PM
testarossa_td
Race Car

Originally Posted by z3bra
I think people would hate them less if the reflectors/appearance weren't so obviously different looking versus the stock lights. As it is, they just look wrong because they are so obviously an aftermarket piece.

Here's what I find most amusing about them though, if a company can secure the equipment necessary to manufacture the piece in the first place, how much harder would it be to get the damn things to actually match the real lights?
One person probably designed them(style or no style), then got ripped off by several others
Old 08-25-2005, 06:14 PM
MichelleJD
Jane Bond 007
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts

I have one and love it:

However, I took it off when I put my GT Racing bumper on b/c I didn't have the heart to drill holes in my new bumper. The jury is still out on whether I'll put it back on. If not, I'll be happy to get rid of mine:

Edited for better pic of rear

Last edited by MichelleJD; 08-25-2005 at 07:55 PM.
Old 08-25-2005, 06:18 PM
testarossa_td
Race Car

If you want one, Michelle's is the best "turbo" version.
Old 08-25-2005, 06:22 PM
TRWright
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I think Michelle's panel would look awesome if the badge was shaved. I scraped the turbo script off my turbo panel because the "o" had a tail on it and it looked stupid. I guess whoever made the panel did it that way to throw off the Porsche lawyers.

Old 08-25-2005, 06:31 PM
MichelleJD
Jane Bond 007
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts

Mmmmmmm.....Chambord.......
Attached Images  
Old 08-25-2005, 06:53 PM
testarossa_td
Race Car

Originally Posted by tedwright
I think Michelle's panel would look awesome if the badge was shaved. I scraped the turbo script off my turbo panel because the "o" had a tail on it and it looked stupid. I guess whoever made the panel did it that way to throw off the Porsche lawyers.
or the VW lawyers...but I am betting they had the ghostbusters to deal with.

Last edited by testarossa_td; 08-26-2005 at 10:45 AM.
Old 08-25-2005, 07:34 PM
Epic2112
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like the Bully Hill wines a lot. Mostly just because of the names.
Old 08-25-2005, 10:57 PM
EdC
Pro

If you like the table wine "Love my Goat" , you also might like Heron Hill's Gamebird Red, roughly the same price, and a bit smoother.
Old 08-26-2005, 06:35 AM
z3bra
Racer

Originally Posted by testarossa_td
One person probably designed them(style or no style), then got ripped off by several others
Yeah I think you're right after looking at the picture Tedwright posted, I never bothered looking at one close enough to see that it's just red plexiglass with a piece of plastic light diffuser like they use in fluorescent fixtures behind it. That's a whole lot less involved than the molding of something like the reflector pattern like in an OEM light. Actually after seeing that picture, that's a pretty ghetto way of doing it.
Old 08-26-2005, 10:56 AM
testarossa_td
Race Car

Originally Posted by z3bra
Yeah I think you're right after looking at the picture Tedwright posted, I never bothered looking at one close enough to see that it's just red plexiglass with a piece of plastic light diffuser like they use in fluorescent fixtures behind it. That's a whole lot less involved than the molding of something like the reflector pattern like in an OEM light. Actually after seeing that picture, that's a pretty ghetto way of doing it.
There are actual molded ones out there. The one ted has in that picture is the very bottom of the barrel(sorry ted
The "original" series that were made had raised molded plastic letters and behind had actual reflective pockets with sockets for lights. Not a cheap tool.
But they were also selling at a time when these cars were 20k+ so a couple of hundred on a reflector was not a bad deal.(for those who liked that look). It was really the 911's upgraded wrap-around rear reflector that spurred the mfr of these.
Old 08-26-2005, 11:36 AM
TRWright
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by testarossa_td
There are actual molded ones out there. The one ted has in that picture is the very bottom of the barrel(sorry ted
The "original" series that were made had raised molded plastic letters and behind had actual reflective pockets with sockets for lights. Not a cheap tool.
But they were also selling at a time when these cars were 20k+ so a couple of hundred on a reflector was not a bad deal.(for those who liked that look). It was really the 911's upgraded wrap-around rear reflector that spurred the mfr of these.
That is right. Back when I had my 924, I had an awesome panel. It looked like a factory item, and actually used the Porsche font. (It was not raised, but actually looked better that way.) I purchased the 924 from the original owner and he said the car came off the lot that way. I am going to talk to the current owner and see if he will let me pull it off to check for a PN. (Or it is possible that the dealer just installed it?)
Old 08-26-2005, 12:03 PM
testarossa_td
Race Car

I have a picture of the part number from this one, I will have to go find it.
These are the ones that were being put on at some dealerships in the early 80's.

Click for larger.

Blank version

The rest

Last edited by testarossa_td; 08-26-2005 at 01:12 PM.

Quick Reply: rear lights