Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Wastegate Removal

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2005, 11:53 PM
mclarenno9
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Wastegate Removal

Ok, I have read many topics on this before and understand how it is supposed to be done. BUT, I am having a nice problem.... I have taken out the 2 10mm bolts at the dump tube to primary exhaust, the two 13mm bolts holding the WG bracket, the 3 10mm bolts holding the crossover to WG inlet elbow pipe, the 12mm bolt holding the dump tube flange to the torque tube bracket.

I was going about this Lindsey's way until I broke one of the bolts from the dump tube going into the WG. So, I decided I would take out all the other bolts holding the inlet and outlet pipes to their recipients. Then, I realized these pipes are inserted roughly an inch into each other and prying on the flanges does not give you enough room to get any one of them out.

I have since then removed 3 of the 4 nuts on the WG studs. One of which has been rounded off which I cannot remove now. I guess I can try to get the other 3 bolts going from the dump tube into the WG out and hope they don't break, or try and get some steel nuts and turn the studs out of the WG. I think those are my only two options at this point? I may have answered my own question... but does anyone have any advice on what I should do next? I have a shiney new Tial 38mm waiting to go in along with a set of Vitesse chips and an MBC. This is killing me. Anyone?

Steve 1988 951
Old 08-26-2005, 12:03 AM
TRWright
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is what I tell everyone:

Take off the 3 nuts that hold the exhaust to the downpipe, then the few bolts/nuts that the exhaust hangs by to drop the whole thing. Then you can just slide everything out together. It is WAY easier than fighting with it. Seriously, it will probably take you 20 minutes to get the exhaust off and a lot longer to deal with that nut that you rounded.
Old 08-27-2005, 12:40 PM
mclarenno9
Pro

I bought some steel nuts that will fit the WG studs so I am going to try and turn them out first, and if that does not work I will probably have to drop the exhaust....
Old 08-27-2005, 01:27 PM
MichelleJD
Jane Bond 007
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts

I agree with Ted. Take the whole thing out as one piece. I ended up having to cut off all but one of the bolts attaching directly to the WG. I did break a few of the flange bolts, but that's actually a good thing. You can just pull them out and throw them away. I replaced everything with stainless steel and can now pull my wastegate in about 5 minutes
Attached Images   
Old 08-27-2005, 02:46 PM
mclarenno9
Pro

Michelle isn't that Tial hooked up backwards?
Old 08-27-2005, 11:07 PM
Judson951
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have a great time. I really dont know **** about cars and had never changed oil on a car before this one. I put my car up on jack stands and did it by my self.
It took me about 8 or so hours though. Get some beer and go have fun.
Old 08-27-2005, 11:12 PM
David Floyd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mclarenno9
Michelle isn't that Tial hooked up backwards?
Yep, backwards...
Old 08-27-2005, 11:13 PM
special tool
Banned

Michelle - did you install your Tial wastegate as it appears in that photo?
Old 08-27-2005, 11:18 PM
NZ951
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Yup, the valve faces the flow... she is in backwards alright!
Old 08-28-2005, 04:17 PM
ibkevin
Defending the Border
Rennlist Member

Rest In Peace

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So that's the trick to getting it out in 5 mins!
Old 08-28-2005, 06:43 PM
MichelleJD
Jane Bond 007
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts

D'oh >-_-< I believe I turned it around the other way before installing it, but I'll DEFINITELY check!
Old 08-28-2005, 07:26 PM
ibkevin
Defending the Border
Rennlist Member

Rest In Peace

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wink

and she's going to anything.......C'mon
Old 08-29-2005, 12:39 AM
mclarenno9
Pro

Success at last!

After 3 hours under the car tonight, I finally got it out. I took out two studs and had to cut the other two with a handsaw which took me like 45 minutes. Once the studs were out of the way I took the elbow off and spent 30 minutes prying the wastegate down and forward enough to slide it and the dump tube out of the primary exhaust.

I DO NOT recommend anyone trying to remove the wastegate with the dump tube installed, it is definitely the wrong way to go about it. The only reason I did is that I snapped 2 bolts off the flange from the WG to dump tube and I did not feel like taking off the starter's heatshield to get to the other two. My heatshield is held in place by one of the torque tube bolts as well as the other 4 as normal. That bolt alone made me think twice about taking it off.

I also recommend having the car a good 2 feet in the air at least, it would make it much easier to work on obviously. I have my car on ramps and with me under the wastegate I probably have 5 inches between me and the car.

Now it is reassembly time. I hope this Tial will make all that work worth it.
Old 08-29-2005, 12:56 AM
Matt Sheppard
Addict
Rennlist Member

Oh will it!
. . .but only if it seals correctly.
Old 08-30-2005, 11:50 PM
mclarenno9
Pro

Originally Posted by Matt Sheppard
Oh will it!
. . .but only if it seals correctly.
And how does one ensure a proper seal?

I am using SFR's copper gaskets between the adapter plates and the wastegate. I also have new crush rings for the dump tube and inlet tube.

I am wondering if I should use the sealing rings between the pipes and the adapters? Has anyone done this? I have both the inlet and outlet seal rings for the original wastegate (new of course!) that fit in the grooves of each pipe. I would like to know what you guys have done in the way of ensuring a good seal in this area. Thanks.

Steve

Quick Reply: Wastegate Removal