Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Remove brake booster WITHOUT removing intake ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2005, 06:30 PM
mroberts
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Remove brake booster WITHOUT removing intake ?

According to the service manual, to remove the booster, you have to remove the brake heat shield. To remove the heat shield, you have to pull the intake.

Can you remove the shield without removing the intake ? I'd be willing to accept a few less bolts if they are hard to get back on.

Also, the main exhaust pipe will be coming off (cat & muffler). Will that make it any easier to get to ?

Thanks.
Old 08-24-2005, 06:59 PM
Mike1982
Drifting

Well, when you do the master cyl. you have to remove the heat shield as well. When I did it (master cyl.) I just got as much fluid out of the res. as possible then put it out of the M.C. and flipped it upside down. I just made sure to put lots of towels EVERYWHERE! I didn't actually lose much fluid in this process. This MIGHT be able to give you enough to get it out room to work it out but not sure. Hope this helps some.
Old 08-24-2005, 07:24 PM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I replaced the master cylinder by removing the one bolt in the front of the heat shield, that gives you just enough room to remove and install the new unit.

Also, make sure you clean the reserviour very well. And since you are removing the brake booster, you would also need to remove the accelerator cable from the pedal and remove the insulation.
Old 08-24-2005, 08:08 PM
mroberts
Burning Brakes

You're both talkign about the master cylinder, but I need to know if you can remove the shield, and / or the booster without removing the head.
Old 08-24-2005, 08:27 PM
Claus Groth
Pro

There is one nut near the firewall that you can reach around the exhaust tube from underneath. The top rear nut at the firewall is easy. At the front top of the shield is a screw and below it a nut at the front bottom of the shield. All of these are removable without removing the intake manifold. I don't think that the shield will squeeze upward between the brake booster/master cylinder and the intake manifold but it may drop enough to be out of the way.
Old 08-24-2005, 11:30 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally Posted by mroberts
You're both talkign about the master cylinder, but I need to know if you can remove the shield, and / or the booster without removing the head.
Head? No. Assume you meant intake? For what it's worth, the intake comes off very easily -- hardly worth the extra effort of trying to work around it.

Quick Reply: Remove brake booster WITHOUT removing intake ?