Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

XP: Solid Torsion Tube Mount???

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2005, 05:32 PM
macnewma
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question XP: Solid Torsion Tube Mount???

I am in the middle of dropping my t-bars and I pulled my torsion bar mount out and it looks like hell. I can't imagine it looked very good when it left the factory, but it certainly looks worse 20 years later.

I am curious if any of you have switched to one of the following solid mounts:
Elephant Racing Products

Racer's Edge

Kokeln from Lindsey Racing

If you have, I would appreciate your feedback:
  • Was there a noticeable improvement?
  • Have you had any issues with them?
  • Were there any installation issues?
  • Was it worth $230-240 for the pair?
  • Do you drive your car on the street, street/track or just track?

If there are alternatives to this, please let me know.

Thanks!
Old 08-23-2005, 08:05 AM
jerome951
Drifting

Received 73 Likes on 56 Posts

Hey Max,

I installed the Racer's Edge parts over the winter. I can't comment on the difference this single part made as I changed ALL of the rear bushings w/ spherical, alum, or delrin at the same time. All together they made a big difference. Installation was easy.

My car rarely sees street time anymore.
Old 08-23-2005, 06:03 PM
Bill
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Max,

I use the Elephant Racing setup. Like jerome951 I added all the pieces at once, so defineing the difference to just the one part is impossible. I do love the Elephant Racing Setup though. High quality. Made a huge difference. My car only sees street use at this time. Albeit, occasional "criminal" backwoods street use, but concidering taking my "speed" to some track days.
Old 08-23-2005, 06:51 PM
macnewma
Addict
Rennlist Member

You need to get to the track. You are 30 minutes from Laguna!!!! Shame on you!

I am really just curious about the value of that piece given its steep cost. It is just a slab of aluminum with a stud in it. Am I missing something in the $230-240 cost? I know that ERP and Racer's Edge make nice stuff, but this piece seems overpriced.

As an aside, I am installing the Racer's Edge delrin sway bar bushings and the ERP spring plates. I have not decided to replace either the trailing arm monoball or the torsion tube carriers.
Old 08-24-2005, 12:42 PM
Bill
Addict
Rennlist Member

You need to get to the track. You are 30 minutes from Laguna!!!! Shame on you!
Yea.....I would love to say that I have driven Laguna Seca. The key is talking the boss (wife) into the idea. She seams to think that tracking a car breaks parts, and that parts are expensive. Sheesh...Where does she get these ideas????

I have been told that Laguna Seca is not a forgiving track for rookies. There are several corners that if you loose it, you wad up your car.

Last year at the Historical Races, Ferrari was the focus marque. Ferrari brought out Shumi's last year F1 car. They set up the factory test pilot with 10 clear track laps, with the idea that he would set a new track record. The record is held by a champ car. The first two laps were warm ups. Boy the sound of that F1 engine shrieking around the track brought goose bumps. By lap 5 the record was still safe. On lap 6, the test shoe was pushing for all he was worth, and dropped two wheels off the track into the dirt at turn 6. Lap 7, unexpected cool down lap, and the test shoe was pulled off the track. The anouncer made some feeble explaination as the Ferrari F1 car pulled off the track. Laguna Seca won that day.
Old 08-24-2005, 01:06 PM
macnewma
Addict
Rennlist Member

I have been to Laguna a number of times, but I have not driven there. It is definitely not a forgiving track for novices, but I think that PCA does an excellent job of instructing and would bring you along slowly. I don't know of other tracks in the area aside from Sears Point which is far less forgiving.

I love the historic races there. I was at the 1998 Porsche event and it was awesome. There were 917s, 935s, 956s and 962s everywhere. It was the best motorsports event I have attended. The next time I am out there I will look you up. Gilroy is a great town...I love the smell whenever I drive by.
Old 08-24-2005, 01:33 PM
Mike S
Three Wheelin'

Never done a car track day, but I've done a ton of motorcycle track days and the most forgiving track in our area (if you consider it in our area) is Thunderhill (willows,ca). I would then follow that with Laguna and Sears in last place. If you find laguna scary, sears is even worse in terms of runoff. Laguna also widened out the track considerably this year for the world GP bikes so pretty much every turn has twice the runoff it used to have.
Old 08-24-2005, 02:20 PM
Bill
Addict
Rennlist Member

Max,

Come on down! We can trade stories. Mike S and I will buy you a beer and some garlic fries.

Quick Reply: XP: Solid Torsion Tube Mount???