Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Been called out: 93 RX7 TT

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2005, 08:12 PM
special tool
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dude - if you spent half the energy tuning your car that you do whining and complaining, you might give me a run!
How many people in Calgalry called you a complainer today, my man?
Old 08-17-2005, 08:28 PM
SoloRacer
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Probably not as many as have called you full of BS in the last hour. I also noticed you still haven't answered the question. How much power should one expect out of a TUNED Vitesse Stage III on PUMP GAS on a stock engine? I'm told by the vendor (JOHN) that it's 330 rwhp. He's the honest one that tells it like it is. You on the other hand............
Old 08-17-2005, 08:30 PM
special tool
Banned

I have an 18 psi PUMP gas mustang dyno of 361. This is very close to 400 RWHP on a dynojet.
Old 08-17-2005, 08:52 PM
ewainwright
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can’t help but to wonder as there are cars that can out accelerate us; however, with our top end. I wonder how stable he’ll be at triple digits. I second starting at 60 with braking and throttling. Please be careful.
Old 08-17-2005, 10:47 PM
jimbo1111
Banned

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

I can't see you making more than 300 rwhp with the stock injectors. I wouldn't race him until you get a maf, piggyback and injectors. Hit the dyno for a couple of hours. If you have a LR super65 turbo you can make 340 to 370 at the wheels on pump gas. I have run 20psi on my other 951 without ping on 93 octane. These cars can make a lot of power. The rx7 will self destruct on the first sign of ping. The apex seal can't handle any ping at all. I just can't see that motor making 500whp on pump fuel.
Old 08-17-2005, 11:43 PM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

SoloRacer & SpecialTool, you are both correct...
SoloRacer, I recommend you stick to 15psi on pump gas, however when running the pump gas settings people do run 17-18 boost and they are fine. I do not recommend it... So yes, you can make more than 330rwhp on pump gas, I just recommend against it. I guess I play it extra safe! I believe someone in Norway (if I'm not mistaken), is running 18psi, his EGTs and AFR are fine..
SpecialTool, on pump gas you are limited to the amount of boost, therefore the power is limited.. Race gas is a different story.

I have seen on the dyno the RX7s when converted to a single turbo. The Rotary engine generates more exhaust energy, spools up the large turbo fairly fast... Unless you are putting down serious power to the ground, I'll watch out for the RX7.
Old 08-18-2005, 12:04 AM
TRWright
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by SoloRacer
Take your attitude elsewhere it's getting really tiring fast.
SoloRacer,

I will be the one that tells people when they need to take their attitude somewhere else. . . . . . . and I think YOU need to take YOUR attitude somewhere else.
Old 08-18-2005, 01:13 AM
SoloRacer
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Ted: I respect your position but it was ST that began by saying I was basically incompetent on the install of my turbo and then calling me a complainer. He knew full well before he posted that I installed the turbo myself because I have posted so on the forum. He also has added nothing constructive to the original post other than to say "I am god making ungodly amounts of power and those that disagree with me must be idiots". I realize he may be your friend because he tuned your car l but you honestly can't think that I'm the one with the attitude problem. Not once in my posts did I "complain" about the Vitesse kit. This is because John explained to me in full detail what to expect and so far he's been 100% right. I love my 951 but I'm also realistic about the odds of our friend who plans on racing a 370 rwhp RX7 actually winning. I think even our good friend ST would have a challenge with a lot of the single turbo RX7's out there. So I apologize if I stepped on your toes but in my opinion ST had it coming.

John: Thanks for the post. I'm getting ready to install the SMT6 and will be sure to talk to you if I have any problems or need help with the tuning. Even after the SMT6 is installed I won't be taking mine past 15 psi until I get the Wideband O2 installed and better understand the system.

Jimbo: You are right in that RX7's are sensitive to detonation. They won't blow up at the first sign of detonation but they definately are not as resistant as a piston engine. Worst of all is that failure instantly means an engine rebuild is needed. My friend who making over 500 hp on 93 octane pump gas is also running a full stand alone and 4900 CC's of injector. With careful tuning he is able to keep things together at 20 psi on an HKS T51 Kai. He could pull more out of it if he went to race gas but I'm not sure the rest of the driveline would take it. Torque has always been the one thing rotaries (other than the 20b 3 Rotor) have been criticized for lacking when compared to their horsepower and that is where a lower HP 951 would have a chance of holding it's own for a short distance.

ST: Interesting. Show us the dyno sheet. It might help me when comparing to the results I get the next time I go to the dyno. I don't think my car is making 330 rwhp currently - I'm guessing it's closer to 300 rwhp - but I believe it will be there at 15 psi like John says when I get things tuned. Will I ever make 380 rwhp at 18 psi with Pump Gas on a Mustang Dyno? God I hope so but I wouldn't be betting my life on it.

Now back to the original thread starter. I hope you do well against him and come back to let us all know how it worked out. No matter what happens it'll be interesting to read about.
Old 08-18-2005, 01:20 AM
TRWright
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Soloracer, You have not even installed the SMT6 yet! ST meant that there is A LOT of power to be free'd up in that car. He knows from experience, not something that he read in a thread last week.

Also, something that I have learned about John from Vitesse is that he is VERY conservative with his numbers. He likes to underpromise and overdeliver (as well as play it safe).
Old 08-18-2005, 04:54 PM
gstreev
Racer

How's your head gasket, If ok get race gas turn up the boost to 20# and play with the FQS
otherwise you will get smoked!
Old 08-18-2005, 05:18 PM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Just to clarify things a bit - I do not want to turn this into a Vitesse related thread, but few posts must be clarified. A Stage 3 on pump gas @1bar boost should make between 310-330rwhp on a DynoJet.
Yes you can make more boost on pump gas, I just do not recommend it....
SpecialTool has a Stage 3, but he also uses the Big Valve head.. So using his numbers to compare them to a 951 with a stock head is unreasonable...
ALWAYS keep in mind, that no two cars will make the same HP even when equipped with the same parts... There will always be a variation between 5-10%...
Old 08-18-2005, 06:35 PM
special tool
Banned

At 18 psi on the dyno after multiple runs - my turbo-intercooler pipe remains at ROOM temperature.

That's room temperature - in case you guys missed that.
Old 08-18-2005, 08:22 PM
944CS
Drifting

are you running a stock or modified intercooler?
Old 08-18-2005, 09:19 PM
special tool
Banned

Stock intercooler man. But I am talking about BEFORE the intercooler.
Old 08-18-2005, 11:30 PM
Campeck
Campeck Rulez
Rennlist Member

you want to tell us how?

whats that in your avatar?

then why do you need an intercooler? the intercooler isnt going to cool below the temp of the outside air. hell, the air going through the intercooler might be cooling the intercooler itself. heatsoaking the air.

Quick Reply: Been called out: 93 RX7 TT