Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone close by with a Vitese kit??????
Old 08-17-2005, 02:33 PM
SoloRacer
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

No Vitesse kit is going to help you on Pump gas. I have a Stage III and the only way I would have a chance is if I went with race fuel and turned up the boost. I'm slowly finding out the performance limitations of our cars. That RX7 can make 500+ rwhp on pump gas with the right mods. Not something we can do.
Old 08-17-2005, 02:36 PM
special tool
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Solo - your car is not indicative of any Vtesse stage 3 kit that was installed by someone who knows what the hell they are doing.
Your turbocharger isn't even INTO its efficiency range at 15 psi.

If you send your car to me, I will install and test your kit for free.

Then you will see God.
Old 08-17-2005, 02:56 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Well 40 mph is may not be the best speed to stat with.

You will need all the help you can get.

I have done a few races were I have been leading the pack from pole and got to pick the speed. I would pick a speed that would give me the best.

Couple tricks. Adjust speed so that you are at about 3500-4000 RPM. This is you peak power point so you will be at your best. Or try to pick a speed were he is off his power point. Hey Peak hp means nothing here.

The other trick is to pick spot just before he redlined a gear. Maybe 500 rpm shy. Just enough to hopefully get him to bang into the limiter and make slow shift.

The other trick for road racing , but won't work for you is to slow just a second before you think the green will come. Don't hit the brakes, but just enough to make everyone else breath a bit. Then be the first one back on power when every one else is off it.

Hey when you race a car with littl hp and good handling it easy to qualify infront of or around bigger hp cars that can pull you at the green so you need to do all you can to get an edge.
Old 08-17-2005, 04:09 PM
DDP
Rocket Scientist
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would try and start around 60mph in 3rd. That is your best bet. Our cars are geared for that and it will give you a better chance. Also, try some brake boosting and that should take care of the lag problem. Be careful.
Old 08-17-2005, 04:51 PM
emwporsche
Three Wheelin'

^ 60 in 3rd for sure.

but it sound like he is going to out-power ya
Old 08-17-2005, 06:02 PM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

Cool guys thanks.

His last post:

"I get full boost around 3500rpm. It's not the the 2 smaller turbos are not good,
they're just not very efficient for big power. They generate a lot of heat, and
don't have the top end I wanted. There are upgraded twin turbos but they cost a
fortune. People have been able to squeeze almost 500rwhp on RX-7s. I like the
simplicity of a single turbo too."
Old 08-17-2005, 06:03 PM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

I've been practiving on brake boosting. pretty cool. But a lot of times it jsut bogs and doesn;t build boost. ????

how bad is this for the motor/clutch??/
Old 08-17-2005, 06:59 PM
SoloRacer
Drifting

Originally Posted by special tool
Solo - your car is not indicative of any Vtesse stage 3 kit that was installed by someone who knows what the hell they are doing.
Your turbocharger isn't even INTO its efficiency range at 15 psi.

If you send your car to me, I will install and test your kit for free.

Then you will see God.
Tool: I installed the kit and it is functioning properly. I get 1 bar at 3100 rpm just like you. I said on PUMP GAS for those can read. What kind of gas and how much boost were you running to get your numbers? I'll bet it wasn't 1 Bar and 93 octane. And with a quoted weight under 2700 lbs your car is obviously lightened quite a bit. Is there even an interior in that thing? I weighed mine and it came in at a portly 3100 lbs. What the hell does the efficieny range of the turbo have to do with the ability of the installer anyway? Having an efficiency range that can only be reached with RACE FUEL shows more about the turbo selection than it does install. **** man......even John says not to take it over 15 psi and to expect no more than 330 RWHP on PUMP GAS. A car that weighs 300 lbs less and makes 40 HP more on PUMP GAS should have no problem taking him. Take your attitude elsewhere it's getting really tiring fast.
Old 08-17-2005, 07:12 PM
Ryan in SD
Instructor

I drove my friends 3rd gen RX7 a few months back and it had a couple small mods. The thing was FAST! and a lot of fun. I dont think I would ever want one though mainly because of the apex seals and having to rebuild the engine every 100K mi.

However, when I drove it...it didnt have full boost until 6,000rpm. I dont know if the previous owner fiddled with it but the thing isnt linear at all and I wouldnt try using it on a track like that. Its like a 100 shot at 6K rpm, the sudden power would make for tricky cornering.

I saw someone elses post where they siad it had full boost at 2K .. how did they do that? Is it mapped different? I keep telling my friend that hes got to do somthing about it before he finds himself another accident.
Old 08-17-2005, 07:16 PM
SoloRacer
Drifting

First of all, is your friends car using the stock twin turbos? The car that our friend is racing has a big single so it's going to have a different powerband.

Secondly, if your friend has stock turbos it sounds to me like he has a boost problem - probably something to do with the complex system that switches between the small and large turbos. The turbos should boost in a 10-8-10 pattern. I've only had my FD (3rd Gen RX7) for a short time and I don't have a boost gauge in it yet so I can't tell you where my boost comes on. I can tell you though that the power on my car is fairly linear but you can tell when the second turbo comes on. The power tends to fall off once the RPM's climb though.
Old 08-17-2005, 07:20 PM
Ryan in SD
Instructor

Originally Posted by SoloRacer
First of all, is your friends car using the stock twin turbos? The car that our friend is racing has a big single so it's going to have a different powerband.

Secondly, if your friend has stock turbos it sounds to me like he has a boost problem - probably something to do with the complex system that switches between the small and large turbos. The turbos should boost in a 10-8-10 pattern. I've only had my FD (3rd Gen RX7) for a short time and I don't have a boost gauge in it yet so I can't tell you where my boost comes on. I can tell you though that the power on my car is fairly linear but you can tell when the second turbo comes on. The power tends to fall off once the RPM's climb though.
He has the stock 2 turbos.

So you dont feel a big difference around 6k rpm?
Old 08-17-2005, 07:30 PM
SoloRacer
Drifting

I can feel when the second turbo kicks in and that might be the difference you are talking about. It's not the same as a 951 with a stock turbo that goes from nothing to oh my god in a span of a few hundred rpm. Your friend probably makes full boost on the first turbo by 2000 rpm but doesn't get full boost on the second turbo until 6000 rpm. Because the first turbo is so small and responds so quickly the pull is pretty linear up until the point that the bigger turbo takes over.
Old 08-17-2005, 07:34 PM
Ryan in SD
Instructor

Originally Posted by SoloRacer
I can feel when the second turbo kicks in and that might be the difference you are talking about. It's not the same as a 951 with a stock turbo that goes from nothing to oh my god in a span of a few hundred rpm. Your friend probably makes full boost on the first turbo by 2000 rpm but doesn't get full boost on the second turbo until 6000 rpm. Because the first turbo is so small and responds so quickly the pull is pretty linear up until the point that the bigger turbo takes over.
Yeah I suppose, I think hes going for a big single turbo at some point anyway. Anybody want to sell a Kei for cheap ??
Old 08-17-2005, 07:59 PM
SoloRacer
Drifting

My friend with the 500+ HP car is running a partial bridge port and an HKS T51 KAI. Lots of lag but when it hits it's like a freight train.

Quick Reply: Been called out: 93 RX7 TT