Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

EBC/MBC - how often do you adjust your boost?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2005, 04:00 PM
Ian Carr
That Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have a home depot special MBC. Its 0-130 psi adjustable. Takes about 1/4 turn to go up or down 1 psi. I haven't touched it in about 2 months and its always at 11 psi except for some very cool nights where it hits 12 psi maybe. Only cost 20$ so im not complaining.

-Ian
Old 08-27-2005, 04:01 PM
eniac
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone know which wire you use to pick up the speed input from to connect the AVC-R to?
I ran it off the back of the speedo cluster. I don't know of the top of my head which exact wire it is. I'll grab the book from my shop later today. I have it marked in there.
Old 08-27-2005, 05:56 PM
Mike1982
Drifting

Originally Posted by adrial
MBC, set it and forget it.

Yeah, you'll see higher boost in higher gears...but its not that significant.

I would like an EBC but they are big bucks.

That is why you set your boost in 4th gear or even 5th gear that way you never have the chance of running lean. I set mine in 4th and see the same boost in 5th gear, so that worked for me, 16psi that is. In 3rd gear I can get 16psi as well but in upper rpm's it does drop a pound or two. 1st and 2nd are totally different story, I see about 12psi in 1st and 14-15psi in second but the engine rev's out quick that it doesn't matter.
Old 08-28-2005, 02:07 AM
eniac
Drifting

Anyone know which wire you use to pick up the speed input from to connect the AVC-R to?
The AVC-R speed sensor wire connects to the dark blue w/ red wire coming out of the right side of the speedo cluster.

I don't like MBC because you set desired boost in 4th, say 16 psi, but in 1st you may only get 12 psi. I like the EBC so I have full control over what boost I get in each gear and can make adjustments to compensate for different variables, not to mention I can adjust the curve based on RPM values also.
Old 08-28-2005, 02:52 AM
GPF
Instructor

Originally Posted by eniac
The AVC-R speed sensor wire connects to the dark blue w/ red wire coming out of the right side of the speedo cluster.
Thanks

Regards

Graham

'88 Turbo S
Old 08-28-2005, 05:43 PM
ibkevin
Defending the Border
Rennlist Member

Rest In Peace

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

EBC.....every time I disconnect the battery
Old 09-02-2005, 07:22 AM
GPF
Instructor

Hi Stephen,

Thanks again for that. I installed the avc-r last night - all apart from that one wire. Did you find it under the dash, or did you have to remove the instrument cluster to get at it?

Also, do you know what SPD setting you used ?("Car Select" in the "etc" menu)

Thanks in advance.

Regards

Graham

'88 Turbo S
Old 09-02-2005, 09:33 AM
DanG
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is the EBC function built into the megasquirt that I'll be using...

http://megasquirt.sourceforge.net/extra/boost.html

Its a 1-D map with 4 set points that you can configure to your liking. You can choose to base boost either on TPS or RPM. Choose 4 values of which ever monitoring condition you decide and define the maximum boost pressure. The MS will linearly interpolate the points in between.

In the somewhat near future, the MS will go to multiple 16x16 RPM/kpa maps (with the ability to monitor other sensors as well) to control whatever the user desires, boost, nitrous, H2O injection, ...in addition to fuel and spark. I imagine gear-definable boost curves will come on the menu at that point.

This "EBC" will cost you about $250. Of course, the stand alone engine managment is included in that price!
Old 09-02-2005, 12:41 PM
eniac
Drifting

Thanks again for that. I installed the avc-r last night - all apart from that one wire. Did you find it under the dash, or did you have to remove the instrument cluster to get at it?

Also, do you know what SPD setting you used ?("Car Select" in the "etc" menu)

I removed the instrument cluster to get to that wire. You might be able to tap into the wire somewhere else but I didn't feel like searching and the cluster is pretty easy to get out. IIRC I have the SPD setting at 4. I think the options are 2, 4, 8, 12, 16. Of course our cars use a 6 pulse speed sensor. So no matter what the displayed speed will be off but it won't affect the function of the AVC-R at all.
Old 09-02-2005, 04:12 PM
GPF
Instructor

I removed the instrument cluster to get to that wire. You might be able to tap into the wire somewhere else but I didn't feel like searching and the cluster is pretty easy to get out.
Thanks Stephen.

I thought you were going to say that - although I was kind of hoping that it would just run up under the centre console and through the space under the stereo.

Ah well, off with the fascia and out with the cluster it is then.

Regards

Graham

'88 Turbo S

Quick Reply: EBC/MBC - how often do you adjust your boost?