Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Modifications for 86' 944 Turbo???

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2005, 12:22 AM
Speed Demon
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Modifications for 86' 944 Turbo???

Hello

I'm new to the forum and I just bought my first Porsche... a 1986 944 Turbo...
I"ve always been a Porsche enthusiaste... in particular the 911 series...

So this car is stock....My question is ....What can I do to it to increase the performance? and also make the car look more appealing....

(Don't get me wrong...I love the the body and upholsetry of the car ...I just want to it to be more up to date with technology)

Modifications that i want to make....

Cold Air Intake
MAF kit
Blow of valve
Dual Exhaust
Light weight bumper, hood, sideskirts, rims

I would appreciate it if you would let me know of some good mods...

I'll be using this car for personal use and occasional closed circuit racing....

Thanks

***I'm also looking for some guages.... I saw these..... http://www.elgauges.com/index.asp?P...PROD&ProdID=285 .... but they are not for the turbo....so if you know of anywhere that i could some like this style please lemme know****
Old 08-08-2005, 12:32 AM
eniac
Drifting

As far as mods I would have to question why you have dual exhaust listed for a 4cyl. unless you plan on having the second pipe just for the wastegate dump. Also stock it has a cold air intake. If you switch to a MAF then you could get a shield to keep engine heat from the filter.

Typical first mods would be chips, dual port wastegate, and a boost controller(don't forget a boost gauge). These will make a decent increase in performance.

A few good places to purchase mods:
http://www.lindseyracing.com
http://www.vitesseracing.com
http://www.speedforceracing.com
Old 08-08-2005, 12:33 AM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

951s have a cold air intake stock. One of the best and easiest mods for better performance is a set of chips. See www.vitesseracing.com for chips and MAF kits, a MAF will loose the CAI unless you do some custom stuff. Blow off valves are pointless IMHO, the stock diverter valve does a better job with no change in the AFR like a BOV will. Dual exhaust? How? Gas tank is in the back right corner. Unless its dual tips you want.

And as the guy above said, Lindsey and Speedforce are both good places to deal with.
Old 08-08-2005, 12:40 AM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome to the board.

Join and support rennlist, Search button, Driver education events to learn your car then ... after you've searched "performance modifications, suspension upgrades, brake upgrades", establish goals for your car and a budget: $1200, $2500, $4200, or $7000.
Old 08-08-2005, 12:52 AM
eniac
Drifting

Driver education events to learn your car then
As someone here once stated, the biggest performance mod is located just behind the steering wheel.
Old 08-08-2005, 12:59 AM
HD911
Racer

Your first mods should be baselining your car(Check timing belt, waterpump,etc) and making sure everything is up to snuff.
These cars are not cheap to run and most need some tending to before you start modding.
Once you have a good baseline try these mods.
Billet diverter valve- Tial wastegate ( or shim your stock one)- Vitesse chips- Some sort of boost controller- 3 Bar FPR- boost guage- and a test-pipe and you will have a very fast 951 that can get you into a whole heap of trouble real fast.
And thats just getting started!
Good luck and make sure you have a couple thousand dollars lying around for unexpected issues. They will pop up.
Old 08-08-2005, 01:13 AM
MichelleJD
Jane Bond 007
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts

How 'bout this:
Completely rebuilt AMW 951 engine with ported polished and O-ringed head, knife edged and perp-drilled crank, coated pistons, WideFire HG, lightened flywheel, SFR stage 2 turbo and MAF, Linsey fuel rail w/ dampener and 3 bar AFPR, Lindsey crank breather, SFR hard pipes, GURU chips, venturi and cycling valve delete, TiAL 38mm wastegate, HKS EBC, ARC II, Zeitronix wideband O2 with boost sensor and EGT, AIR splitter, GT racing bumper, 968 mirrors and door handles, vented nose panel, euro fogs, Paul Gaurds torque biased LSD with hardened 1st and 2nd gear, new clutch, slave and master, Griffin radiator, Bursch test pipe, thermal wrapped headers, Laust 5 port manifold, and a few other things I can't remember.
Attached Images  
Old 08-08-2005, 10:04 AM
Speed Demon
Instructor

Wow!

You guys sure respond fast! Well the car i bought has been well serviced so the timing belt has been checked about 1000 miles before and the water pump replaced as well..

So everything is well maintained except for the power steering.... it leaks a bit...
(The steering wheel is somewhat hard to turn...or is it that older power steering systems weren't as smooth???)

I the owner did add a chip i'll have to check what kind....

But thanks for the replies!!!

I'd like to see some pics of 944s
Old 08-08-2005, 11:04 AM
dime1622
I never notice, anyway
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the power steering on these cars is not as strong. and that's how it should be. i dont think about it any more, until i took the car into the shop and had a kia rental car for a week and a half. the car was a beast to steer when i got it back because i had gotten used to slushy steering. the steering, because of this, is much more responsive and you get a much better feel of the road.

i gotta say, though, it sounds like youre almost ready to rice out the car. keep it tasteful and smart. remember, these engines are not the most reliable, and so you want to have it all buttoned up before you go modding.

you won't need a MAF unless you upgrade the turbo. otherwise, your AFM is perfectly suitable.

if you do go the turbo route, check out www.vitesseracing.com, or do a search for "vitesse stage" and youll get all sorts of good info on their stage 2 and stage 3 kits. kit comes with turbo, MAF, and piggyback, all you need is new injectors.

lightweight parts are not worth it at this stage. losing 10 lbs on the hood is worth about 0.01 seconds in the 1/4 mile. you can make much better use of $500. like new koni shocks or lowering coils up front with 300 bucks to spare. i still dont understand the craze of carbon fiber hoods. except, of course, you want to look like you know **** all about racing.
Old 08-08-2005, 01:51 PM
danny951
Three Wheelin'

Beautiful car, Michelle.
Old 08-08-2005, 03:24 PM
MichelleJD
Jane Bond 007
Lifetime Rennlist

Thanx Danny.

Speed Demon:
I just noticed you're in Joliet. I'm about 40 miles down I-80 from you in Ottawa. Lemme know if you need anything.
Old 08-08-2005, 03:53 PM
reno808
Rennlist Member

MichelleJD- Do you lose your RPM's fast due to the lightened flywheel?
Old 08-08-2005, 03:58 PM
MichelleJD
Jane Bond 007
Lifetime Rennlist

To be honest with you, I haven't really noticed. Unfortunately, I was unable to drive the car for 10 months during the build, and it's hard to remember what she felt like before. Damned middle-age
Old 08-08-2005, 04:09 PM
dime1622
I never notice, anyway
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ive noticed that my rpms go up and down a bit quicker - i have both lightweight flywheel and lightweight clutch.
Old 08-08-2005, 04:20 PM
Speed Demon
Instructor

Once again thanks for the advice guys....

Dime1622....

I'm going to rice out my ride...

I like to keep my cars looking original as if the parts were meant to be there...

Michelle JD...

It looks like you have one sweet ride... I saw your car at rennlist's gallery...very nice...
how much did you invest in aftermarket parts...excluding the engine???

Quick Reply: Modifications for 86' 944 Turbo???