Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Modifications for 86' 944 Turbo???

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2005, 04:42 PM
reno808
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just ask one thing from you PLEASE DONT RICE OUT YOUR CAR.
Thanks
Old 08-08-2005, 04:47 PM
MichelleJD
Jane Bond 007
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts

Speed Demon:

You don't wanna know.....:sigh:.....around $10K.

EDIT: Oops, I read your question wrong - EXcluding engine........about $2K excluding wheels. I also have a 968 wing I need to put on.
Old 08-08-2005, 05:14 PM
TRP951
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MichelleJD
Speed Demon:

You don't wanna know.....:sigh:.....around $10K.

EDIT: Oops, I read your question wrong - EXcluding engine........about $2K excluding wheels. I also have a 968 wing I need to put on.
I know what you mean Michelle parts for these cars adds up fast, my total right now is around 4k and my mom is not too happy she thinks its good for years to come parts wise but I do want to get a chris white 2.7 and a 968 tranny and... alot of other stuff
Old 08-08-2005, 05:19 PM
black944 turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Mafs with a stock turbo is very much worth it. The car will respond much better and is much more drivable. Just my $.02
Old 08-08-2005, 05:34 PM
dime1622
I never notice, anyway
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

there's a lot better stuff that you can do with 1200 bucks though - like a full coilover setup.
Old 08-08-2005, 08:02 PM
black944 turbo
Rennlist Member

Yeah but as far as power if you are not wanting to get into a turbo than the maf-chip set is the best investment closely followed by a full exhaust. Suspension is nice to have.
Old 08-08-2005, 08:22 PM
porshhhh951
Monkeys Removed by Request
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by black944 turbo
Mafs with a stock turbo is very much worth it. The car will respond much better and is much more drivable. Just my $.02
Old 08-09-2005, 12:55 AM
Porschefile
Three Wheelin'

Chips and an ebc. Don't even waste your time on a manual boost controller. Most EBC's have a built in boost gauge, so you kill 2 birds with one stone. My stock 951 was in good condition when I got it, and I couldn't believe what dogs these cars are bone stock! The lag was absolutely horrible (yes my car was in top shape, so not a mechanical problem) for the size turbo and displacement. Now the car is so much more responsive and fun to drive. Actually, I would say the number one upgrade to start with is suspension and brakes. The car is just so much more enjoyable to drive when the suspension/brakes are operating properly. It's a good idea to get your regular maintenance out of the way first, and make sure your car is functioning properly before "upgrading".

BTW, bov's are not useless. Guess what is useless and a waste of money? Billet diverter valves. Who wants a free one? I'll send mine to anyone for free, and it is almost new! These things are no better than the stock bosch BV, and are overhyped. They leak basically all the time causing longer than necessary response time as far as spool goes. I'm now using a HKS super sequential venting to atmosphere and have no problems with the stock AFM and no stumbling or dying out off throttle either. Before my car would drop off boost for 1-2 seconds after engaging the next gear. Now its almost instantaneous and much more responsive. You can still run many aftermarket BOV's recirculated, for those that prefer this. The thing is, a large majority of aftermarket bov's have much higher quality design/construction, such as the SSQV. The SSQV is designed in such away that it cannot leak. So who wants a free billet diverter valve?
Old 08-09-2005, 01:13 AM
streckfu's
Rennlist Member

Received 668 Likes on 448 Posts

Guess what is useless and a waste of money? Billet diverter valves. Who wants a free one? I'll send mine to anyone for free, and it is almost new! These things are no better than the stock bosch BV, and are overhyped. They leak basically all the time causing longer than necessary response time as far as spool goes.
What kind of POS did you buy?
Old 08-09-2005, 03:23 AM
Porschefile
Three Wheelin'

One from Lindsey I believe, and I forget where I got the other one though both were new. I disassembled them to check the o-ring and verify that they were in good condition, which they were. The only thing I can figure is the spring pressure is too weak to hold the valve closed 100%. Either way, I experienced this with 2 separate valves on 2 951's (my friend's was the 2nd). From the second they were brand new and I installed them, those were the results. Also, there was literally no difference in response or anything when I switched from the stock Bosch plastic BV. I don't understand why people pay money for these things, let alone why some tuners sell them when there are such better performing alternatives out there.
Old 08-09-2005, 09:28 AM
Speed Demon
Instructor

streckfu's951 .....

Is that the brushed alluminum kit???

I like the red guages... how did u do that????
Old 08-09-2005, 09:30 AM
Speed Demon
Instructor

Oh Yeah....

I've been looking into the HKS SSQV....but are they available for the 994???
Old 08-09-2005, 10:10 AM
black944 turbo
Rennlist Member

What kind of brake upgrade did you do? I have never had an issue with my brakes. I went up to the tail of the dragon (318 turns in 11 miles) and not even any fade. Just curious, I find my brakes to be outstanding.
Old 08-09-2005, 12:11 PM
HD911
Racer

Originally Posted by Porschefile
From the second they were brand new and I installed them, those were the results. Also, there was literally no difference in response or anything when I switched from the stock Bosch plastic BV. I don't understand why people pay money for these things, let alone why some tuners sell them when there are such better performing alternatives out there.
The stock ones are known to fail premature and don't dissapate the heat as well. Funny how most 996-993 twin turbo owners upgrade to Bailey billet diverter valves ASAP. I'm not sure what brand you bought (neither are you) but I doubt they were from a reputable company like Bailey or Forge.

The point is if you don't go for a billet style diverter at least test your stock one and make sure its operating properly, as for paying money for billet diverter valves, they aren't expensive at $129.00.............
Old 08-09-2005, 02:48 PM
Porschefile
Three Wheelin'

HKS SQV's aren't made specifically for 951's. However, for $20 off ebay I got a universal adapter, and for $5 at autozone I got a properly sized hose and everything hooks up. BTW, my SQV was used off ebay for $100.

What I don't understand is the attitude some people have here that if it isn't OEM or made specifically for Porsche, that it is somehow automatically inferior, when in fact there is aftermarket stuff out there of much higher quality. Stop living in the past guys. I haven't used a Bailey or Forge BV, but what makes them so much better? Is it simply because they are made for Porsches or German cars in general? I'm not trying to attack anyone but, I feel like I get attacked much of the time for thinking "outside of the box". Sorry if my original post sounded harsh, as that was not my intention. Sorry to get OT.

As for brakes, I wasn't really saying upgrade exactly. I just meant freshening them up if anything needs replacement (new rotors/pads), or even going with some slightly better pads. The stock brakes on 951's are more than sufficient for any street use. I've never experienced fade on mine either. Though, I was a little dissatisfied with my PBR/Axxis metalmasters, as they seem to be a little inconsistant.

Quick Reply: Modifications for 86' 944 Turbo???