Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Engine out of car and some questions...

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2005, 02:00 AM
dganapol
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine out of car and some questions...

All,

I decided to remove the engine because I know that I was going to need to replace the clutch and I was right. One small spring was missing and found inside the pressure plate, loose. The main bearings were just like the rod bearing with little to no wear. With an explaination by Chris W. why the pistons were not round I felt a lot better that the pistons are in good shape. I received the bore measuring tool today (isn't Ebay great!) and measured. Everything is round in the bore and the bores measured 100mm. But the top of the bore has a "minor" ridge. I measured the ridge and it is 99.98 (2 digit micrometer). Why is this? I would think the bore would be the same from top to bottom. I am in the process of aquiring the parts for the re-build. I hope this thing starts in a couple of months.

David
Old 08-03-2005, 08:30 PM
rc944t
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The ridge at the top is more than likely just carbon build up and nothing to worry about.
Old 08-04-2005, 06:56 AM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's a minor amount of silica but mostly carbon as stated above. YOu will dislodge a lot of it when you push the pistons out. If you send the block to a shop that is familiar with our cylinders, they will have no problem getting rid of that. DO NOT use a ridge remover tool on your block.

Quick Reply: Engine out of car and some questions...