creaks squeaks and automobiles

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2005, 12:36 PM
dme
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default creaks squeaks and automobiles

been chasing down rattles, squeaks, and creaks on the car this weekend. I've got one in my sunroof which I've attributed to flexing of the fiberglass roof. I don't remember ever having this issue in my first car. The roof is fine when up, but when closed and fixed in place the fiberglass will make noise with any kind of bumps and subsequent flexing. Anyone else have this problem? Any solutions? Sorry this isn't as sexy as a turbo issue or head job, but it is a real world problem.
Old 07-31-2005, 02:15 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 183 Likes on 108 Posts

My sunroof used to squeal like a pig when closed. I took some mild solvent on a rag and cleaned all the wax and residue on the edge of the seals and in the sealing groove of the roof. I followed this up with some Dri-Lube silicone on a rag but just on the seals and it has been gone for over a year. If it's a clacking sound I bet one of your lifting arms isn't retracting as far as the other side and causes it to rattle. Press on the back corners of the SR while it's down and see if one side has play in it. Adjust per the Clarkes-Garage write-up.
Good luck. At least it's not your hatch.
Old 07-31-2005, 03:01 PM
TRP951
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the flap the the sunroof holds onto on my car rattles when the sunroof is open full but doesnt rattle when the roof is off and when it is closed?
Old 07-31-2005, 03:06 PM
dme
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by KuHL 951
At least it's not your hatch.
No, that is a different noise. And yes, I can tell that it is seperating from the forward edge.

Quick Reply: creaks squeaks and automobiles