Launching tips...

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2005 | 12:14 PM
porshhhh951
Monkeys Removed by Request
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by OriginalSterm
What kind of road racing takes good standing start launches?

Lots of people can shift their cars, and they may be driving a 12,11,10... car, but with a poor launch you'll be disappointed with your time.
Sorry maybe I wasent explaining it well enough.

My point was even guys with plenty of racing expeirence(typically with the porsche you are talking road racing) even they have a hard time launching their cars if they go to the strip. Case in point the porsche tuner challenge...all the guys had to go back to school for a little bit and learn how to drag race. Even then the best they were doing was low 11's even with 800hp. Its not easy and not something you will just be able to jump in and do perfectly.

Maybe I should post that porsche tuner video. They basically took all the top tuner porsches in the world and put them through the paces. BTW their traps were insane....the 800hp versions were seeing 140mph!

The point was for this guy not to get discouraged I was merly stating that it isint easy and there is a technique to it.

and yes I agree with a poor launch you will be disapointed with your ET. The launch is key for ET.
Old 07-22-2005 | 12:17 PM
OriginalSterm
Race Car

Originally Posted by porshhhh951
Sorry maybe I wasent explaining it well enough.

My point was even guys with plenty of racing expeirence(typically with the porsche you are talking road racing) even they have a hard time launching their cars if they go to the strip.
Ah...gotcha. I have to agree with this.
Old 07-22-2005 | 12:47 PM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

0-60????

People seem to forget before you can run a "muscle car" drag time, you have to get past 60mph which EVERY Porsche has been heavily tested and documented on.

I agree keep it to a minimum or only with as new or newer clutch, CV's etc.

But if I took delivery of a brand new 951 back in the day and broke stuff right off the bat from launching, it would get driven right back to the factory with a letter asking why Chevy's engineers are better then Porsche engineers.

So "launching" a car is not some ameircan car only club.
Old 07-22-2005 | 01:15 PM
Evan70
Pro

0-60 and 60' times are two very different things. 0-60 times are a magazine test measurement and done on a street surface with street tires at normal pressure. 60' times are the time it takes to cover the first 60 feet of the quater mile (dragstrip) and have a big impact on what your ET and MPH are at the end of the quater mile. A good dragstrip will have sprayed down a lot of VHT (a traction enhancer), and will also have a lot of good sticky rubber that has been laid down by other racers. To get the best 60' time you would also usually lower the air pressure of the rear tires to get the maximum sidewall "twist" to allow for better straightline traction. To go one step further you would use a race tire that has a very sticky compound and no tread for maximum grip. Launching at a dragstrip is absolutely NOTHING like launching on the street. It is a completely different environment, and getting a great launch on a dragstrip can easily break parts even on American musclecars. I've seen Camaros with drag radials (street/strip combo purpose tires) actually shear the lugs of the axle with a good launch on a sticky track. I've also seen late model Camaro/Firebirds/Corvettes smoke the clutch badly many, many times even on street tires with a hard launch. Considering how much beefier those clutches are compared to ours, you would definitely be playing with fire trying to get a really hard launch out of a 951.

If you just want to go for a one time baseline, what does it really matter if you get a great launch. These cars aren't 1/4 mile cars, they are designed much more for roadcourse use. If you want a 1/4 mile car, get something else. I can run my Firehawk the dragstrip pulling 1.8-1.9 60' times, turning 13.3@107 all day long without any issues. If I was really interested in dragracing, I'd find an automatic 90s model Mustang or Camaro/Firebird, drop some steep gears in, put on a big torque converter and bolt on some slicks and outrun any Porsche (or Ferrari, Lambo, etc) that showed up at the track for a LOT less money without having to worry about breaking parts.
Old 07-22-2005 | 01:43 PM
Charlotte944
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by toddk911
0-60????

But if I took delivery of a brand new 951 back in the day and broke stuff right off the bat from launching, it would get driven right back to the factory with a letter asking why Chevy's engineers are better then Porsche engineers.
And the Porshce dealer would politely remind you that the "failure" was due to abuse and is there for not covered by any warranty.

From where I stand, you need to use the correct tool for the job. If you want 1/4 mile times, then go with a car set up for drag racing. If you want lap times, then get a sports car. If you want to haul tons of sh@#, then get a truck.

With that said, do what you want, but don't come back here and whine about how a Porsche is a POS because it broke at a drag strip.
Old 07-22-2005 | 02:04 PM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
What he said. You beat me to it. Porsche warranties are very good but they do NOT respond kindly to attempts to exploit them due to abuse. Cranking up the revs to mid-band and dumping the clutch is most certainly "abuse". Period. Even though you could get away with it on a 'vette or a Mustang, I bet if you broke stuff doing it even Chevy or Ford wouldn't honor a warranty for such stupidity.

Anyone else remember the story of the guy that tried to claim that his fractured crankshaft should be covered under warranty? Porsche did NOT just write him a check for the cost of the repair, they flew out two engineers to inspect the failed component and perform required tests, eventually determining that it WAS due to abuse (forget the exact kind, but the story was posted on this board a while back). Point is, they'll find out if it was abuse or not and even if you try to "guilt" them into fixing it, they'll likely just call you a dumbass (or "dumbkopf"), laugh in your face and kick you out of their office.
Old 07-22-2005 | 02:10 PM
Evan70
Pro

Originally Posted by Porsche-O-Phile
Even though you could get away with it on a 'vette or a Mustang, I bet if you broke stuff doing it even Chevy or Ford wouldn't honor a warranty for such stupidity.
Chevy and Ford will also not just repair it without checking. There have even been many cases of GM/Ford reps cruising the dragstrips and writing down VIN numbers, so they can deny claims for "racing/abuse".
Old 07-22-2005 | 02:42 PM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

How to Launch a 944 (by P.O.P.):

1. Holding brake, increase RPM to 4,500
2. Depress clutch pedal, move gear selector to 1st
3. Holding RPM, quickly release clutch pedal
4. Call AAA for tow.
Old 07-22-2005 | 03:00 PM
Jakerx
Hitsquad Ninja
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche-O-Phile
How to Launch a 944 (by P.O.P.):

1. Holding brake, increase RPM to 4,500
2. Depress clutch pedal, move gear selector to 1st
3. Holding RPM, quickly release clutch pedal
4. Call AAA for tow.
Old 07-22-2005 | 03:01 PM
Red1
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TheRealLefty
In the one weekend that I tried to test mine as an autocrosser I was completely frustrated by the mismatch...especially at launch. That smell was my clutch and the overreving sound all the way through the first gate was not tires on pavement, but rather asbestos on clutch plate.
A KEP pressure plate will make a big difference with that. One of the best things I've done to the car.
Old 07-22-2005 | 04:42 PM
MPD47
The Carnage King
Rennlist Member

Eh, to each's own. I've dragged my car in the past, and enjoyed it, but I knew I was replacing the parts I was abusing. I plan on taking it out one night for curiosities sake with the new mods and then not going again. But hey, it's my car, I'll do what I damn well please with it.
Old 07-22-2005 | 05:47 PM
porshhhh951
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by MPD47
Eh, to each's own. I've dragged my car in the past, and enjoyed it, but I knew I was replacing the parts I was abusing. I plan on taking it out one night for curiosities sake with the new mods and then not going again. But hey, it's my car, I'll do what I damn well please with it.

Its all in how you aproach things. If I did what everyone else said was and wasent possible I wouldnt be where I am.

20psi and pump fuel for a couple years now....eat it. lol.

I want to see what type of traps the vitesse stuff can get...after all trap tells hp. I dont go often...I havent even been back after my current mods...but, I will return after I get my car where I want it.

It is after all my car....I will enjoy it how I see fit.
Old 07-22-2005 | 05:53 PM
NZ951
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Well said Mike and Big... It really feels like ground hog day defending the drag thing again and again. I have got some DE with the Porsche Club in a couple of weeks, I bet I break something on the track!
Old 07-22-2005 | 05:58 PM
porshhhh951
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by NZ951
Well said Mike and Big... It really feels like ground hog day defending the drag thing again and again. I have got some DE with the Porsche Club in a couple of weeks, I bet I break something on the track!
make sure and let us know how it go's...and if possible film.

When the cage finally gets into mine I will put a camera mount on it...and film. That way people can actually see I turn as well as drive striaght.lol

I wonder what a true 400-420rwhp 951 can pull in the 1/4 at sea level?
Old 07-22-2005 | 06:04 PM
NZ951
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

You mean these cars turn? I just trailer mine to the drag strip!

400 at sea level? With a 2>= 60ft time, I would suspect it will be a mid/late teens trap later in 4th and probably a very late 11.

Quick Reply: Launching tips...