Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

BOV adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2005, 12:06 PM
Rip It
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question BOV adjustment

Why do u adjust a BOV that recirs the air, what results are u adjusting for ? Can this adjustment be felt when driving the car? Does it just affect turbo lag ?
What is the procedure to adjust it ?
Old 07-21-2005, 12:21 PM
Dr. Dynamics
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"Why do u adjust a BOV that recirs the air, what results are u adjusting for ?"
You may adjust in order to control the amount you want to purge off of the compressed side.

Can this adjustment be felt when driving the car?
Depends on driving style and purpose.

Does it just affect turbo lag ?
This will affect the boost response during shifting. If you purge the boost completely from the manifold and if a big turbo is installed you may have to wait while boost is built up again. I guess it's easier to say fine tuning. Too high is bad and going too low is bad also.

What is the procedure to adjust it ?
Just as you would on an adj fuel regulator. Turn the screw to change the spring pre-tension.

Now I feel your pain!
Old 07-21-2005, 12:38 PM
Fen
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Although I posted on the other thread about this I'm less sure now. If you have a big BOV opening to atmoshere (pressure, not necessarily atmospheric BOV) then the turbo will continue to spin through the inertia of the turbine as there is no resistance to stop it. While trapping a few psi will gove you a head start on spooling it back up when you get back on the power it will also put a resistance on the spinning of the turbine until you do.

What you gain on the swings you lose on the roundabouts I think, and (again as I said on the other thread) the shorter the shift takes the more likely trapping pressure is to work. With a stick shift I think I'll stay with dumping all boost between shifts.

Quick Reply: BOV adjustment