Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

944 Turbo: Water injection + intercooler sprayer

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2005, 10:53 PM
Dark Lightning
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Again, a K26/6 @ 18psi is one very hot hairdrier and will require lots of cooling ability.
Old 08-11-2005, 11:14 PM
NZ951
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

So Tommy, what did you do on your setup? Got the temp data? Dyno charts handy?
Old 08-12-2005, 01:09 AM
TurboTommy
Rennlist Member

My setup is whole different kettle of fish, (which includes IC bypass and injection blend inclusive of methanol and nitromethane), and cannot be compared to your setup.

But, if I were you, I'd be running 5 - 10 % with a large enough turbo.

The main reason for WI is to hinder detonation associated with higher boost. To make higher boost you need bigger turbochargers; and must be used!

Using WI to bandaide a turbo that's too small shouldn't even be an option. That's why I said: "with a large enough turbo".
Old 08-12-2005, 06:01 AM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Well. I'm a preety solid fisherman, and eat a lot of what I catch, but, for those (like me) who haven done the reading outside of Corky's book, why are these guys on the wrong track? What are they doing wrong? whay should the ratio be? TIA
Old 08-12-2005, 06:08 AM
NZ951
Race Director

Corky actually says that using water injection is a fix for an improper turbo and intercooler setup. Given that, no one should be using it unless they didnt design their setup correctly...
Old 08-12-2005, 07:21 PM
Dark Lightning
Pro

Pssst. Hint: Corky isn't always right.

Not saying he's wrong in this case but don't take his book as Biblical material. Every author is entitled to their own opinions and views, and Corky is no exception.
Old 08-12-2005, 08:51 PM
TurboTommy
Rennlist Member

I agree,
any piece of literature could have flaws.
This is the very reason one should be wary of taking WI literature as Biblical material. Most of it is very general and gets repeated from one author to the next.

I did find one oversight in Corky's book, but the water injection blurb was not it. He was bang on about not using it as a fix for an improperly engineered system.
But, why was there no elaboration in his book about WI?!
Probably because he doesn't understand it enough (having a more extensive knowledge about thermodynamics, helps).
Probably he doesn't really care, because with a properly engineered system, you probably don't need it.
But, the thing is, some of us want to push the envelope a bit more (in his book there seemed to be very little mention of higher than normal boost levels). There comes a point where you need to do something about the eventual detonation (retarded timing is another mistake bandaide).
Old 08-13-2005, 08:39 PM
Dark Lightning
Pro

Fresh back from a few test runs. My air-fuel ratio dropped by at least a half if not a full point.

DISCLAIMER: If you are **** and can't possibly stand small water spots on the nose & hood, an intercooler sprayer is not for you.

That is all.
Old 08-14-2005, 01:58 AM
FSAEracer03
TRB0 GUY
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I didn't catch this thread before... NZ, were you implying that he should be concerned about throttling the IC sprayer with boost loads??

Corky Bell, as well as very many other reputable engine builders, didn't like water injection because he didn't understand it fully. Most people have a bad taste in their mouth when they think of water going into their engine because they've had the mantra drilled into their heads since day one that water in an engine equals hydrolocking. Most people, even after having the words said and explained to them, don't accept that "water" doesn't enter the engine at all, nor do they comprehend the idea of a vapor passing through as a gas, or the concept of latent heat of vaporization.

Especially on a K26/6 spinning 18 psi. Heat is a serious problem.
wellllll.... "turbo x at y psi" doesn't take into account the efficiency range without talking about the engine it's boosting, but I see your point.

Fresh back from a few test runs. My air-fuel ratio dropped by at least a half if not a full point.

DISCLAIMER: If you are **** and can't possibly stand small water spots on the nose & hood, an intercooler sprayer is not for you.

That is all.
Good Lord... where did you mount the nozzles?
Old 08-14-2005, 02:04 AM
NZ951
Race Director

Kevin, not at all concerned about boost levels and the IC sprayer, concerned about given time for the evapouration process to actually cool the IC. Constant water will only facilitate the best cooling once it stops and the water evapourates... autospeed has some good data on this.
Old 08-14-2005, 08:57 AM
special tool
Banned

Dark - are you saying that your AFR got .5-1 point leaner by spraying water on the intercooler? Did you datalog this?
Old 08-14-2005, 11:17 AM
TurboTommy
Rennlist Member

Yeah,
or are you saying that you were able to TURN DOWN an overly rich fuel mixture by .5 to 1.0 because of the extra safety margine?
Old 08-14-2005, 11:44 AM
Dark Lightning
Pro

Originally Posted by FSAEracer03
Good Lord... where did you mount the nozzles?
Unfortunately I'm redoing my site right now but let me see if I can upload a pic. What you really have to see is a video of it in action. Sitting still in a parking lot and activating the intercooler sprayer creates a cloud of water mist at the header panel / bumper cover area. When driving at full boost, this cloud is partially picked up by the rushing air and its carried up over the hood and onto the windshield.

In no way do I have to use the windshield wipers to clear the window; only a small amount hits the windshield and its all in very very small droplets.

Originally Posted by special tool
Dark - are you saying that your AFR got .5-1 point leaner by spraying water on the intercooler? Did you datalog this?
Originally Posted by TurboTommy
Yeah,
or are you saying that you were able to TURN DOWN an overly rich fuel mixture by .5 to 1.0 because of the extra safety margine?
My apologies on being too vague.

Remember that I'm using water injection as well as the highly debated intercooler spraying. My datalogged AFR (Innovate wideband) became RICHER, going from a decently steady 11.5:1 to 10.5-11.0:1 at different points in the rpm band. I'm now trying to retune the car for a smooth 11.5:1 and I've had to remove 2%-5% of the fuel across the board at wide open throttle to accomplish this.
Old 08-14-2005, 11:57 AM
Dark Lightning
Pro

Tada.
Attached Images  
Old 08-18-2005, 04:34 AM
NZ951
Race Director

Peeps,

I am just starting my project, I am going for a 1mm nozzle, I figure 850*4*.9(duty cycle)* will give my around 325-350cc water requirements at 10% water. But I am not sure how the water can be controlled in terms of cc. Does the voltage to the pump drop? Or is there a solenoid?

PS are you using a check valve to stop vacuum pulling water through? Are you using a filter?

Quick Reply: 944 Turbo: Water injection + intercooler sprayer