Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Low boost pressure

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2005, 12:27 PM
Dr. Dynamics
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you physically take the wastegate out? Take it out and put air pressure to it to see if the valve is getting stuck. It is an 18 year old wastegate, if it's the stock one. This takes only like 1/2 an hour.
Old 07-20-2005, 01:32 PM
gregg h
AutoX

No I havent taken the wastgate off yet. I was told that if I unplugged it, and the boost did NOT increase the waste was good. I think If I take off the wastegate maby I should just replace it. Any thoughts?
Old 07-21-2005, 11:20 AM
Dr. Dynamics
Pro

Depends on your budget. It's not a hard job to do. Swapped mine this weekend for a 38mm Tial. Just loosen the 8 bolts that hold the wastegate to the cross pipe and test pipe and off it goes. If it's more comfortable, you can loosen the test pipe and crosspipe connectors.

You'll only need a 13mm. And if my bolts were the stock ones, a 12mm also.
Here's a pic of my before/after
Attached Images   
Old 07-21-2005, 11:25 AM
Dr. Dynamics
Pro

Also forgot, if you take a look at the first pic, the exhaust comes in from the left tube and comes out the tube going down. The valve on the stock WG opens toward the tube going down. Boost pressure applied from the top vacuum line to open the valve downwards. If you have a weak/broken/rusted/damaged/whatever spring, the valve will open easily by the manifold pressure and you will not see boost.

Quick Reply: Low boost pressure