Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

O/T vw corrado opinions

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2005, 06:32 PM
951TurboEuroSpec
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I forgot to mention my particular scirroco G60 happened to be faster then an RX7 twin, e36 M3, also a corvette 96-97's I dont know how but was able to beat all of them maybe they were just ****ty drivers or i had a special engine put in my car...I remember back in the day everyone thought my car was especialy fast for a G60....
Old 09-20-2005, 06:42 PM
evil 944t
Rennlist Member

Evil- did the GTi feel nose heavy w/the VR6? Did you do anything to the VR6...2.9L maybe, chips, TB, cams, manifold, exhaust, etc?

I got smart and just bought faster cars.

I have had about 8- 83'84 gti's, 89' 16v gti and two- 79',80' sciroccos S's

The 16v with the vr6 was the best. It had coil overs and huge sways 25mm,28mm. It had a quaiffe but would foast the tires everywhere, that got old. The sound of the 3 1/2 exhaust was awsome, tons of intake noise too. It had chips/ intake and a header. Thats it. A great daily drive.

The best was my 80' scirocco with a 2.0 16v p&p head/cams and header. 2 1/4 exhaust. The car was stripped with a cage and 2 seats, Thats it. That was fast!

Then I bought a 911 3.2 Carrera and it smoke all of them. Then a 951 and I would never go back! Next up 996 TT!!
Old 09-20-2005, 07:04 PM
951North
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

evil 944t says,
"I got smart and just bought faster cars."

Exactly what I did...
Old 09-20-2005, 07:12 PM
evil 944t
Rennlist Member

After you send your first million, billion $$$$'s you start to get wise.. lol

Bad news is, I'm still spending and the cars keep getting faster than what I'm building. F**K!
Old 09-21-2005, 03:00 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

951 North- ok, now I see what you're saying about the gears... that's cool... sounds like a winner all the way around- only thing better would be a 6-sp conversion... Not sure how those work out, though... I didn't realize the Scirocco 16v's were that light- that's pretty cool... I really like the late 80's 16v Gti's just as much, but, I remember my friend saying that the best of the breed was around '92, just like you're saying- they were getting top dollar back when he had his though- I also remember some saying that the earlier head waas better, or something... one way or t he other, that taking the 1.8 head w/teh 2.0 bottom end, or, vice versa, was the hot ticket... not sure though- still doesn't make sense to me either way- would think a well-worked head would be the best, no matter which one you started with- maybe starting w/one in particular would be the best of the best though... man, I haven't thought about this stuff much in years- makes me want to get back into them a little... it's easy to forget the headaches, but, those headaches were a lot easier to fix- much more simplicity in those cars- the lack of air-bags & all kinds of electronic stuff... I remember driving an eariler 8v GTi w/manual steering that felt great- always wondered how the 16v's would feel w/manual... I also liked those SR's- they had the manual crank- Audi's had the same for awhile... that was cool IMO.... hard to find good examples now days, unfortunately... oh well...
Old 09-21-2005, 01:35 PM
951Tom
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

A friend let me drive his VR6 Corrado how ever I wanted one night. It was awesome. I was seriously looking at them but opted for my 951. I remember that V6 engine being very free-reving...it was comfortable at idle or 500rpm into redline.
Old 09-21-2005, 05:08 PM
Just_Visiting
Cruisin'

I had a low mileage 94 VR6 Corrado with all the standard upgrades along with a 100 shot. It ran 8.8-9.0 in the 8th consistantly. Talk about moving out!!!!!! I loved that car. They run hot and have a other quirky issues, but IMO, it was totally worth it. Most people never knew what kind of car it was. I'd own another if it clean.
Old 09-21-2005, 10:19 PM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Just_Visiting
I had a low mileage 94 VR6 Corrado with all the standard upgrades along with a 100 shot. It ran 8.8-9.0 in the 8th consistantly. Talk about moving out!!!!!! I loved that car. They run hot and have a other quirky issues, but IMO, it was totally worth it. Most people never knew what kind of car it was. I'd own another if it clean.

You were lucky to have a '94- true '94's were rare- only a few hundred in US, IF that....? I actually talked w/two dif people (over the course of ~2 months) who advertised '94's- told my friend about one of them & mentioned the color- can't remember the whole story now, but, he said it was not a '94- he knew all the colors made, year to year, etc... Anyway, he said it was '93 & I called the seller back to confirm- he argued the point, but, eventually admitted that it was a '93, but, was bought off the lot in '94, so, that makes it a '94... Does that mean I could call my '88 Turbo S a '99...??? Anyway, it was tough to find them in good condition, &, this was in '99- the friend of mine was such a perfectionist, that he had trouble finding his last one in '97- ended up selling it b/c of a door panel- I sh** you not.... He couldn;t match the passenger one- something had happened to it prior to his owning it- he ended up buying one from Canada- then sent it back- I couldn;t believe how picky he was, but, anyway... his cars were immaculate- he regret selling them now- what did you do w/your's? Why did you get rid of it? I would still love to have one... great everyday driver... I just can't stop myself from dreaming & always wanting more... IF I could, I'd have $70k in one & be beating modded Supra TT's... well, maybe not all of them, but....

Quick Reply: O/T vw corrado opinions