Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

O/T vw corrado opinions

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2005, 01:53 PM
951TurboEuroSpec
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Corrado is a really fun front wheel driver, just watch for worn transmission sincros and interiors that will forever make noise. Add some coilovers and it handles better then any front wheeler on the planet.
Dan G They have always reminded me of the Audi 90 Quattro Coupe..
Old 09-18-2005, 02:46 PM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 93 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by 951TurboEuroSpec
The Corrado is a really fun front wheel driver, just watch for worn transmission sincros and interiors that will forever make noise. Add some coilovers and it handles better then any front wheeler on the planet.
Dan G They have always reminded me of the Audi 90 Quattro Coupe..
Sorry for the hijack is your car for sale 951TurboEuroSpec?
Old 09-18-2005, 03:10 PM
951TurboEuroSpec
Instructor

its still for sale now with a fresh AIR front spoiler not installed yet..
If you want more details send me a PM.
Old 09-18-2005, 04:29 PM
ninefiveone
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 24 Posts

Corrado is a much better performer than an audi CQ. Aside from both being german coupes, there's very little that's similar.

The Corrado is a lighter car that handles better with a better motor.

The Audi is heavy, handles mediocre, and has a mediocre motor. But it does have quattro and in the minds of many, is much better looking with a nicer interior.
Old 09-18-2005, 05:21 PM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hugh- how much does the Audi weigh? That surprises me, although I agree w/everything else you said there... The Corrado weighs almost 3000lbs actual... It's like 2980lbs... That's still almost 200lbs lighter than a 951S...

There are lots of mods for Corrados, but, they need a Quaiffe for anything much over 200HP/TQ IMO, plus, ,mods are expensive... The Audi's main benefit would be traction... The Corrado also has a low FA & low Cx... 19.4 sq/ft & .32 Cx... It was considered one of the best FWD chassis ever made in the mid '90's... A friend of mine went through 3 of them, & then, a '95 Jetta VR6- it was actually faster than all of his Corrados- taller gearing, 6HP less, & ~50lbs heavier- made no sense whatsoever, but, it must have just come off the showroom floor a little ahead of the rest- it would beat Mustang GT's, V8 Thunderbirds, etc... We had it to almost 150 one night... it was litterally w/in 1mph... we were SOOO CLOSE..... All of his Corrados & hte Jetta all had the same mods- full suspension, chips, TB, & conical filter... He started out w/an '88 16v GTi- it had full Bilstein suspension- that thing was on-rails... For a smooth surface track car, it was the best handling car I'd ever driven- a little too stiff for bumps though, whereas the suspension on the four VR6's were much more streetable... Cool cars either way... as I said earlier, I always thought the 318Ti was like a RWD Corrado- too bad it didn't get a cool engine, like the 240HP M3 engine... that w/a good LSD- would have been cool!
Old 09-18-2005, 06:19 PM
ninefiveone
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 24 Posts

corrados had a curb weight of about 2800lbs. Leading to a real street weight of around 2950.

Audi CQ's had a curb weight of nearly 3200lbs. Leading to a real street weight of around 3350.

It's tough to get substantially more power out of VR6's without spending large amounts of money. But it's a fantastic engine.

It's not particualrly fancy in terms of suspension but it just so happens that VW builds very good handling FWD cars and the corrado is one of their best.
Old 09-19-2005, 12:29 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ninefiveone
corrados had a curb weight of about 2800lbs. Leading to a real street weight of around 2950.

Audi CQ's had a curb weight of nearly 3200lbs. Leading to a real street weight of around 3350.

It's tough to get substantially more power out of VR6's without spending large amounts of money. But it's a fantastic engine.

It's not particualrly fancy in terms of suspension but it just so happens that VW builds very good handling FWD cars and the corrado is one of their best.
Yeah, I saw 2980 for the VR6 in a VW brochure once, but, anywhere in the 2940 - maybe 2990 range or so should be about right, depending on options, etc... one cool thing about Corrados was the fact that they never had airbags, but, they did have that damn auto-seat-belt deal... that was annoying... They also had very long throw shifters- a Neuspeed (or other brand?) short shifter is almost a must...

I had no idea the Audi Coupe Quattro was that heavy... I mean, seriously- I would have expected right around 3000lbs even, & that's including Quattro, which, usually seems to add ~200lbs to smaller models... i think the last model A4 w/1.8L turbo Quattro was around 3400lbs test, so, considering the much stiffer chassis, AB's, all the modern electrical gadgets that I don't care for anyway, I would think there would be a much bigger dif... either way, that really does surprise me, but, I still have a small amount of interest in those cars, just b/c they were so rare- I also like the GT coupe's...

I love the VR6 engines, but, you're 100% right about getting HP out of them- you'd spend close to $5K to get an honest 225HP out of one- not much more than that & you could get one turbo-charged, I would assume- I just don't know how any of those have panned out- I'm pretty leary of impressive #'s anymore- just never seem to work out from what I've seen, so, I'd need proof before dropping $10K into an engine...

Yes, the VR6 did well, suspensionwise, even w/that rear inside wheel up in the air...

I've always wanted to drop a modded 1.8L turbo from an A4 w/larger turbo, chips, etc, for ~250HP, into a Scirroco w/a Quaiffe & a host of other mods... would probably stay under 2600lbs w/slightly larger wheels & brakes & then have almost a 1:10HP to weight ratio- would run w/M5's...
Old 09-19-2005, 01:28 AM
951TurboEuroSpec
Instructor

thats funny i actually owned a scirroco and put a G60 supercharged corrado engine in it, it was the first in Ontario, and was very fast i can imagine what a 20v would do to that thing.....
Old 09-19-2005, 01:53 AM
M Berg
Rennlist Member

I have a Corrado VR6 but I´m thinking of buying a 951 or 944 S2 instead. Want to try somethingelse now. For reference, my best time at 1/4-mile with this car is 14.77 s. I also use it for circuit-driving, which I think is more fun, but the weight-distribution is not the best for this (too heavy engine in the front). Otherwise I love the car.
Old 09-19-2005, 11:12 AM
951S Rage
Track Day

I currently own both and I love both cars! Only thing is that I think the Porsche is not a good daily driver while my Corrado VR6 is a great daily driver (mainly cuz of RWD factor and the fact that the driving position of the Porsche is a bit much for me after awhile)!
Old 09-19-2005, 02:43 PM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

951TurboEuroSpec- I've heard of the G60's being dropped in- was the G60 much heavier than the original 16v? Also, did you mod the G60 w/larger suprcharger, etc? I always read about those things being easy to get ~200HP out of- if so, it would be competitive w/a 1.8L Turbo Audi engine w/chips, only, the low-end TQ might not be as great... would love to know which is heavier engine b/t those two- also would like to know if the eay they'd be mounted in the engine bay would change the weight dist by a good amount, assuming they were the same weight...

Mberg- I remember the test b/t the VR6 Corrado & Eagle Talon AWD Turbo when the VR6 first came out- was the fastest magazine test for the Corrado & ran 1/4 in 15.0- the Eagle was down by 1/10 all the way up until the 1/4, but, the 0-120 times were unreal- the Corrado was 29.x & the Talon was 40.x... the Corrado took another 10+ seconds to get the 130, but, b/t 110 & 120, it was slightly quicker than b/t 100 & 110- pretty amazing & very rare... All the later Corrados ran closer to 15.3... Did you have mods done to your's to get to 14.77? What speed were you running? Also, what year Corrado? If '93, is it distributorless? They are cool cars- pretty rare...

951S Rage- what don't you like about the seating position of the Porsche? I've done a few things to "improve" this- caught some hell about it a few times by posting, but, I've also had a few people PM me to say that they've had similar probs- like the pedal being pretty far down under the wheel- people w/longer arms are in a pretty laid back driving position to be able to reach the pedals, yet, not be too close to the wheel... I'm STILL trying to find a way to reduce the angle of the wheel a tiny bit though... I've brought it closer to me by 20mm, as well as the pedals by 2" (clutch 2.25") & everything feels really good- the wheel being 1/2" to 1" lower would be perfect IMO..

I remember the first time I drove a 944 variant- was when my friend still had the VR6 Jetta I've always raved about- he had had two VR6 Corrados at that point & we knew the Jetta was much faster for some reason... I drove a '91 white w/dark blue 944 S2 w/~45K on it- it was in perfect condition- the brakes took a ton of foot pressure to activate, but, other than that, it felt great... I loved the feeling of the RWD, etc, but, the car was not as fast as that Jetta- it was close, but, not as fast, &, certainly would not come close in cornering... I still wish I would have bought that S2- the guy told me he would take $12K & my worn-out '89 integra that wasn't worth $2K the way it was.... That was ~'97... I've passed up a few that I should have been mule-kicked for passing up....
Old 09-19-2005, 06:01 PM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 514 Likes on 345 Posts

You can't put a larger supercharger on the G60 motor. You can run a smaller pulley. I dropped a G60 motor into my old 16v GTI with good results. Not sure if the G60 is heavier than the 1.8T, but I'd definately go with the 1.8T over the G60 anyday of the week! Far more potential for hp, way more torque, a much more modern engine and the G60's are very finicky to tune and the G60 supercharger itself isn't the paragon of reliability.
Old 09-19-2005, 06:14 PM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Doc- that's right- I had forgotten that- the smaller pulley... I do remember reading that the potential for the G60 was well over 300HP, but, never really saw that w/any reliabilty, so, not sure it wasn't just hype, like much of the aftermarket modded world for most cars, actually... I also new that the G60 was a vrey finicky motor... BTW- the G50- was that a dif sized supercharger or was it pulley size? I didn't know one couldn't put a completely dif supercharger in the G60... I know that some places had kits that claimed 200HP w/the same one though...
Old 09-19-2005, 06:17 PM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

BTW- I loved the old 16v GTi's- do you still have your's Doc? Did the G60 feel any heavier/lighter than t he 16V that was in it? Either way, though, the G60 put out close to 160 IIRC & stock 16V was 123 & 122 TQ... that's quite an improvement for such a small, light car- I always liked the idea of keeping a 1.8L turbo simple- using one like the 225HP version from the TT's... that's over 100HP bump.. would make a screamer from a 2500lb Scirocco/GTi...
Old 09-19-2005, 06:24 PM
evil 944t
Rennlist Member

I did an 89' 16 valve, vr6 swap. It was awsome. The torque would pull you everywhere, fun though. At the end of the day, it wasn't anything like a turbocharged car, just fun..

Quick Reply: O/T vw corrado opinions