Turbo model suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2005, 11:23 PM
Shredder944
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Turbo model suggestions

Hi everyone,
I have a completely stock '86 951 with exception of K&N filter. My turbo is leaking oil due to bad seals and I decided that its time to throw in the turbo upgrade. I autocross the car some and it is also my daily driver. I plan to do upgrades such as lightening it, upgraded exhaust, possibly chip it, and maybe a few more. I also plan to keep the car for a long time, as hardly anything else out there compares to it for looks, mpg, performance, sounds, feel, balance, etc. all rolled into one.
My question is, what would be a good model to get based on the vast knowledge and experience here? I do not want an all out turbo, but I want a lil more than what the stock offers. I mostly would like to maintain low end, get a lot of mid-range, and add some top-end too, but mostly the mid-range (for autocross and street). I asked the shop to look for the Turbo S turbo, but they were unable to find any available since it is so sought after.
If you can give me name/model/part number or any info to help locate a good turbo for my needs, please let me know.
Why oh WHY can't you "rent" turbos?! ; ) I wish. (I guess the labor would suck between changes too)
Thanks in advance, and let me know if you have any questions for me that I missed.

Brian
'86 951
Old 06-22-2005, 02:49 AM
silverbullet
Pro

First off welcome!
Sounds like you want the same sort of setup as I do. I am looking for around 320 or so rwhp. You can go the turbo S or K27/6 route, but you'll still need new chips and a maf to get it working right. That will give you substantially more power. The better way would be to save up and buy a kit already put together and tuned, such as one from Vitesse. You would be much better in the long run doing that.

If the car is stock, I would get all the essential basic upgrades out of the way first. First being boost gauge, boost controller,and Tial wastegate, and then exhaust and all the other stuff. The new turbo will need all that to reach it's full potential anyway. And finally, use the search and there should be plenty on this subject.
Josh
Old 06-23-2005, 03:00 PM
Shredder944
3rd Gear

Thank you for the welcome Josh!
Thanks for all the helpful advice too. Does anyone else have any suggestions for a first turbo, any models that you were extremely happy with, or to stay away from? I'm mostly looking for one that is just as good as the stock one, but perhaps a little better thanks to newer technology. Ball-bearing maybe for good responses? More info the better.
How exactly does that search engine work? I would type things in the space, and it yeilds nothing. Is it broken at the moment?

Enjoy the marvelous 951 all!!

Brian

Quick Reply: Turbo model suggestions