Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Ghetto A/C

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2005, 02:26 AM
Zero10
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Ghetto A/C

I have no idea if any of you guys have ever used Duracool, but I gave it a shot today. Best $17 I have ever spent.

I am trying to pin down a couple of leaks before I spend $120 and fill with R134A (system has been converted, but lost an O-ring or two). So, I changed the 2 O-rings that I knew leaked, and filled with a can of Duracool. Didn't vacuum it, or change the receiver/dryer (yet). However, the system should still have had mostly R-134A in it, since it only de-pressurized since the last recharge, and I only removed the adapter fittings for the R134A equipment, and only for less than 20 seconds to swap O-rings. Anyhoo, after 1 can, I was right in the middle of where my low-side pressure should have been, so I stopped filling. Once the revs get above 1500RPM it blows ICE cold. I am very impressed. I guess that stuff is pretty much just propane, but I didn't expect it to work this well. Now I'm having a hard time telling myself I have to have it vacuumed and filled with R134A, for fear of having it not cool as well.... When it's just idling in traffic, it blows cool, still colder than my 86 ever was, but still not impressive, but perhaps the compressor just isn't spinning fast enough, since if I rev it up a bit, it cools off immediately.

Just thought I would share my hack-job experience

P.S. Yes, I will be properly repairing it soon, this is only to attempt to pin down the last elusive leaks, which will only leak under pressure. I do not intend to run it this way for more than a week or two.
Old 06-22-2005, 01:15 AM
eniac
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been using the $35 retrofit kit(R134 and oil) for 3 years now. It blows cool but not as cold as it should be. Still very refreshing on a 90' day. My thoughts on the cheapo kit were if something in the A/C failed then I would have a reason to delete it. 3 years later, no failures....

... now that I said this I'm hoping my next post WON'T be: "Who has the best prices on a/c delete kit?"
Old 06-22-2005, 01:21 AM
bearone
Three Wheelin'

let us know in a month if you're so proud of it.

Old 06-22-2005, 03:31 AM
Zero10
Race Car

Haha, never said I was proud of it, or that I would run it for a month. It all leaked out that night, I changed 2 O-rings, and refilled today. Still half-charged at the end of the day, but I need a new low side adapter, mine is hooped. It seeps through the valve in the fitting.
I plan to get all of the leaks sorted out, then get it done right. My conscience doesn't allow me to take it in, and have the shop keep refilling it at their expense as I track down the leaks.
Old 06-22-2005, 04:46 AM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Where the hell is the low pressure valve located. Mine's an 86 if that matters.
Old 06-22-2005, 12:09 PM
testarossa_td
Race Car

Originally Posted by ehall
Where the hell is the low pressure valve located. Mine's an 86 if that matters.
Drivers side strut tower, those two rails. I am almost positve it is the one closest to the passenger side(when looking engine back).
On the compressor on all other turbos.
The Low pressure switch is behind the headlight on the drivers side. Normally has a nice green sticker on it.
Old 06-22-2005, 12:12 PM
dime1622
I never notice, anyway
Rennlist Member

who needs A/C? mine doesnt even work yet im ok - and i live in florida.

course, get me anywhere that its under 40 degrees and ill bitch and moan all day long.
Old 06-22-2005, 05:59 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I NEED IT! There are some places that you need to go, while making a professional appearance, and almost always during the afternoon. So I too got myself some R134. I already know that I have a pinhole leak in the compressor. Thanks for the info Teasta. BTW what is the proper pressure for an 86 951?
Old 06-22-2005, 09:39 PM
dime1622
I never notice, anyway
Rennlist Member

yeah, i know what you mean, this black leather gets freakin hot in the afternoon - i do wish my AC was working
Old 06-23-2005, 11:24 AM
Zero10
Race Car

Stupid question, but the driver's strut tower low pressure fitting was 86 only?

It was so nice to have the fitting there on my 86, climbing my big *** under the car to recharge my A/C and change O-rings sucks.
The rubber part of that line is leaking right now, and I may just pull that line from my 86, get that one repaired, and use it, so I get the low pressure fitting where I want it.

Is there any good reason why I can't do that?

Also, my low pressure fitting points down, right beside the fitting on the compressor, as well as I have one on top of the compressor, is this normal?
Old 06-23-2005, 12:16 PM
testarossa_td
Race Car

Originally Posted by Zero10
Stupid question, but the driver's strut tower low pressure fitting was 86 only?
I believe so...but don't quote me

I imagine you could retrofit a newer model, but I am by no means an AC expert . I just had a non working unit and have changed out an ac compressor R134'd it and did a clutch job on one. I read in the workshop manuals the pressures you need. I would have to recheck. But of course the R134(my understanding is you only use 85% the values of the R12) due to it's expansion rate.
Old 06-23-2005, 02:39 PM
Zero10
Race Car

IIRC, the low-side pressures between R12 and R134A are the same, and for most of us, we can only check the low side. Getting a nice set of manifold gauges would be ideal, but I don't have an extra $150-$200 to spend.

I think I'll try retrofitting my line from the 86 if it isn't too badly burned when I have the engine out. I really like having the fitting up there.
Old 06-23-2005, 02:58 PM
bearone
Three Wheelin'

Cool

Originally Posted by ehall
I NEED IT! There are some places that you need to go, while making a professional appearance, and almost always during the afternoon. So I too got myself some R134. I already know that I have a pinhole leak in the compressor. Thanks for the info Teasta. BTW what is the proper pressure for an 86 951?
depends on outside air temp.

Old 06-23-2005, 03:58 PM
eniac
Drifting

The engine compartment sticker on my '88 says a charge of 33.5oz of R12, so about 28.5 for R134 I'd guess. Again on mine I'm kinda waiting for the A/C to blow up so I can remove it all. I just stuck a can on the low pres. side until it was empty. The A/C still wasn't very cold so used a second can. Emptied about half of it then no more would go into the system and the A/C was blowing cold so I left it that way. Been good so far although I think my A/C clutch is starting to go bad of all things...
Old 06-23-2005, 04:13 PM
testarossa_td
Race Car

Originally Posted by eniac
The engine compartment sticker on my '88 says a charge of 33.5oz of R12, so about 28.5 for R134 I'd guess. Again on mine I'm kinda waiting for the A/C to blow up so I can remove it all. I just stuck a can on the low pres. side until it was empty. The A/C still wasn't very cold so used a second can. Emptied about half of it then no more would go into the system and the A/C was blowing cold so I left it that way. Been good so far although I think my A/C clutch is starting to go bad of all things...
Not where I got the info(bottom of the page), but another reference on the 85%...I might have gotten that off a retrofit manual.
85%info

Quick Reply: Ghetto A/C