Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

INA Lifters?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2005, 11:55 PM
tconn
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't imagine removing the hydraulic lifters and installing solid lifters.
That's a step backwards.
In the old days adjusting valve lash was the biggest pain in the a**!
It was a big step forward when auto companys started using hydraulic lifters.

Now if it were for a race engine maybe but not for an everyday driver.
Old 06-11-2005, 12:07 AM
J Chen
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How do you differentiate Lifters from Injectors ticks ?
Old 06-11-2005, 12:18 AM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 181 Likes on 106 Posts

No offense taken, I was speculating based upon the Lindsey comment. It's really good to know about the QC issues with INA. That's a serious failure rate, 5% would be unexceptable but that is off the charts. This is a German company, I wonder where they actually make them?

So where does that leave those of us looking for another brand of hydraulic lifter? Are there any other companies making them? I will need 3 for my spare motor? Maybe I'll just pull them out of another motor and take my chances. What brand do you get when you buy from Paragon, Pelican, or 944online?
Old 06-11-2005, 12:47 AM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

KuHL 951: No offense my friend, sorry. Anyway, is this bad news? Yup. As I said, I had no desire to go to solid lifters, none, for I'm not going past 7RPM on my 3.0L 8V. But after 3 brand new sets, and a high failure rate, and INA is the only company in the world making them, what choice do you have? For me, it was a no brainer, convert to solid. And trust me before we decided to do that, we called around and around to see if someone else made them, only to find out that INA is the only company in the world. We did research for over 1 month on this element of my car alone! What a total waste of time for everyone.

If you think you hear ticking that's not going away or is there often, and it's not the injectors, and the lifters have alot of miles on them, honestly? - pull them out and check every single one. As I said in the posts, the earlier ones in production (we don't know what dates) from yr/s. ago were probably up to quality standards. But today's INA lifters are not even close. I suspect that as these cars get older over time, you will hear more and more lifter issues.

I am attaching a few pics of destroyed INA lifters that Lindsey sent me when we had my problems. These lifters had only 2K miles on them. And yes, the valve springs and cam were all stock too. The boost level? That I don't know. Anyway, these pics should give some "empirical data" that people (thanks NZ) are always looking for.

Well, I hope all of this information helps you and others. I went thru alot of frickin pain with those INA lifters, and I'm glad it's done! Thank God!

Old 06-11-2005, 01:11 AM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 181 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by RolexNJ
KuHL 951: No offense my friend, sorry. Anyway, is this bad news? Yup. As I said, I had no desire to go to solid lifters, none, for I'm not going past 7RPM on my 3.0L 8V. But after 3 brand new sets, and a high failure rate, and INA is the only company in the world making them, what choice do you have? For me, it was a no brainer, convert to solid. And trust me before we decided to do that, we called around and around to see if someone else made them, only to find out that INA is the only company in the world. We did research for over 1 month on this element of my car alone! What a total waste of time for everyone.

If you think you hear ticking that's not going away or is there often, and it's not the injectors, and the lifters have alot of miles on them, honestly? - pull them out and check every single one. As I said in the posts, the earlier ones in production (we don't know what dates) from yr/s. ago were probably up to quality standards. But today's INA lifters are not even close. I suspect that as these cars get older over time, you will hear more and more lifter issues.

I am attaching a few pics of destroyed INA lifters that Lindsey sent me when we had my problems. These lifters had only 2K miles on them. And yes, the valve springs and cam were all stock too. The boost level? That I don't know. Anyway, these pics should give some "empirical data" that people (thanks NZ) are always looking for.

Well, I hope all of this information helps you and others. I went thru alot of frickin pain with those INA lifters, and I'm glad it's done! Thank God!

Holy $hit- Those photos are unbelieveably scary I've pulled lifters from two early NA motors with barely a wear pattern on either the lifter or cam lobe. One motor had 115K and the other had 135K. This INA problem alone makes that last $100 complete 83 engine I bought pay for itself right there and I bought it just for the rods and cam tower. You've done your homework well, it's a shame you had to be the victim...guess who's holding on to every original lifter I can find? Thanks for the heads up you might have saved countless people a major headache.

Steve
Old 06-11-2005, 01:20 AM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

KuHL 951: Yes I have done my homework, and yes I was the victim! Anyway, like I said, if you can find old lifters and test them a few times, hold onto them big time! For the new INA are crap, and at some point in time, you probably will have issues. You saw those pics? Those are from a 2K engine rebuild too! So you tell me, is that evidence enough in itself plus my own experience with 3 sets?! Anyway, as I said, I don't have the answers. Just be careful and look/listen/check for signs. Good luck my friend. I am drained on this topic!

Old 06-11-2005, 02:20 AM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

RolexNJ: Someone such as you'reself (and RDK) posting their experience with such lifters, yet people tend to have their own ways. They are either trolls, post ****** or just messing things up to get more and more post counts.

Anyways, i am sure that there are other brands out there (?)

PS: I dig the av
Old 06-11-2005, 02:35 AM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Hos: Other brands? Honestly, not when we did the search my friend. Could things have changed or could something have slipped by us? Absolutely. But INA is the biggest name around now. They way it was described to me was that Porsche is outsourcing (like what car company doesn't?) it's lifters for the 944T. I was told that INA is making them, and that they are the only one around too. As I said, we did research for quite some time before even thinking about what other options I had for me 3.0L 8V. Again, I can only speak from my experiences - 3 brand new sets failing, all the information I've been told, and the several pics I've seen.

And you like my new avatar? It's awesome. It's a total tribute to the one and only "I have no reason to post but do it anyway" *****, NZ951 baby!

Old 06-11-2005, 02:41 AM
NZ951
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I wonder why Vitesse, SFR, PD, Guru, Chris White, Broadfoot and all the other top 944 tuners have not come across this issue... hmmmm
Old 06-11-2005, 02:44 AM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

NZ: I wonder if you speak from experience? And where is your "empirical data?" Thought so...

Yet again, another "I feel the need to post for no reason"

Old 06-11-2005, 03:15 AM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NZ951
I wonder why Vitesse, SFR, PD, Guru, Chris White, Broadfoot and all the other top 944 tuners have not come across this issue... hmmmm
Contact JME and you made a mistake in you're "choices for vendors" since Chris White did experience, first hand, solid lifters in regards to high revving 944 engines with stock lifters.

Heck, RolexNJ also started a thread on this where Chris White participated in everything you need to know about stock lifters, solid lifters and the "whole nine yards" was in that thread, the one YOU participated in and started flamming the LR set-up (no suprises there)
Old 06-11-2005, 03:44 AM
RKD in OKC
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Mechanics stethoscope.

To find where a sound is coming from you can use a really big screw driver. Place the tip firmly in the area you suspect the noise is coming from and your ear to the handle end and listen. By doing this to several spots around the engine you will be able to tell where the sound is the loudest and hence the source of that sound.
Old 06-11-2005, 03:45 AM
Olli Snellman
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

INA lifters are in the first place designed for 220-250 hp engines. They work fine and they last for ever, if you change oil according to Porsche service plan.
If your engine produce for example well over 300 hp, it's quite obvious that some parts will wear quite soon. INA produce these lifters in Germany.

I am sure Lindsey set up is a good one. They make very good produtcs.Only negative thing with the solid lifters is adjust valve lash. I have done this with some Saab engines and this procedure (Lindsey uses the same procedure as Saab) is not the nicest one.
INA lifters were designed over 20 years ago, so don't blame them so hard
Old 06-11-2005, 03:53 AM
NZ951
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Olli, nice to see you posting more here mate! We cant have too many Fin's here!
Old 06-11-2005, 03:55 AM
Olli Snellman
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Andrew,

have been around the Finnish forum lately , http://www.9xxfin.com
but occasionally drop a world or two also here in Rennlist.

Quick Reply: INA Lifters?