Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

wielding stainless AND installing Tial with 1 piece crossover questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2005, 05:45 PM
johne
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default wielding stainless AND installing Tial with 1 piece crossover questions

I am finishing up the install of my new T04e and am stuck at installing my crossover pipe. I have two crossovers, a 1 piece in good condition and a 2 piece that has a cracked flange where the headers connect to the crossover. I was just going to use the 1 piece that is in good condition, but when I tried to install my 38mm Tial WG I found that the wastegate and torque tube tried to occupy the same space by about .5 inches. Soooo, now I am stuck; do I take the 1 piece crossover to a race shop and have them modify it to be a 2 piece and let the Tial fit, or do I have a race shop and just have them wield up the crack between the pipe and flange?

In either case I am worried about the stainless steel crossover warping while being wielded. I worry so much because I bough some headers from Alan C. 2 years ago that had just been wielded up and they were warped so badly that I could not use them. (Alan also stopped responding to e-mails, grrrr) So I don’t want to damage my crossovers. So what should a shop do to prevent the crossover from being damaged?

Any help is much appreciated,
John
Old 06-09-2005, 05:55 PM
NZ951
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a one piece and a Tial 38mm... just use the Tial flanges and bend some pipe if you want to use the good X over. Though the 2 piece would be better long term for maintenance etc...
Old 06-10-2005, 02:45 AM
luckett
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With a skilled weldor, you shouldn't have to worry about warping. It sounds like they should be able to handle it without any problems.

Take all your parts to the shop and tell them what you want. They should be able to fab something up quite easily. I had Grand Mufflers in Marietta do some welding work for me and it came out very nice.
Old 06-10-2005, 04:59 AM
DHC8FO
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Make sure that the stainless is treated to an acid bath, if your welder has worked with stainless he'll know what to do. The welding process allows for "free iorn" to seporate out of the alloy anf the acid will disolve the fe and leave the nickle and other alloys. This will keep your stainless from getting rust spots on the welds
Old 06-10-2005, 06:43 AM
special tool
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are really stuck, send it to me. I have the greatest custom exhaust guy who could weld it behind his back like Jimi Hendrix then charge me $25. Let me know.

Quick Reply: wielding stainless AND installing Tial with 1 piece crossover questions