Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Drill the AOS if no catch can?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 08:58 PM
TurboTommy
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

zoltan944;
I think you're misunderstanding something; it's not vented to the intake manifold
Old 03-25-2008, 10:48 PM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Let's get back to the "original question". That is:

>>>Should the AOS be drilled if you're not running a catch can? I don't have oil sitting in the hose coming from the separator to the j-boot, so I don't think I need a catch can. Can someone confirm that the top of the separator can be popped off in order to drill it?<<<

The answer is no. And no... you can't pop-off anything (if you were to drill it out, you would need to remove it from the engine).

Why is is reduced at the AOS? It is reduced to slow down the velocity of the emulsified gases exiting the block, so that the compressor doesn't suck too much oil out of the AOS, into the compressor, and into the rest of the intake tract and ultimately the engine.

Now... if you want to really fix the situation, you drill out the AOS. Plumb it to a good filtered aftermarket AOS. Then instead venting to atmosphere, plumb the other side of the aftermarket AOS back to the turbo inlet. Finally, drain the bottom of the aftermarket AOS back to the engine oil pan down real low below the engine oil level.

Your intake will be bone dry, the AOS, which catches oil, will drain it back into the engine oil sump, you're off on your merry way.

TonyG
Old 03-25-2008, 11:11 PM
Fluidplay
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You summed that one up nicely!! Re-route oil vapor to catch can... oil drains directly from catch can to oil pan...right back in the system. PERFECT!!
Old 03-25-2008, 11:47 PM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

>>>You summed that one up nicely!! Re-route oil vapor to catch can... oil drains directly from catch can to oil pan...right back in the system. PERFECT!!<<<<

But... you need to take the other side of the aftermarket AOS and plumb it back to the turbo inlet in the stock position. You need the vacuum source.

TonyG

Quick Reply: Drill the AOS if no catch can?