Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Upgrades done over weekend - advice? - Pics added!

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2008, 04:41 PM
Josh B
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Upgrades done over weekend - advice? - Pics added!

Well - on Saturday I plunged into a big project on my car. I had been gathering parts for a while and figured it was about time to get the work done.

Here is what was done - I didn't get her buttoned back up till 10:00 PM Sunday evening and I would still be working on the car if it wasn't for Albert pitching in on Sunday. She is running fine so far - drove her to work yesterday and today but I have not gotten onto the boost so far....was raining this morning.

- replaced timing belt tensioner - old one had a broken spring assembly
- replaced lower balance shaft race and seal - was leaking oil
- replaced timing and balance belt - they were newish but since the car was leaking oil
- pulled old head
- replaced headgasket and exhaust intake gaskets with widefire headgasket set
- replaced head with o-ringed ported polished head that had just been refreshed
- replaced stuck lifters in cam
- pulled stock k26/6 turbo and replaced with TO4b 50 trim with #6 hotside
- pulled headers and crossover and downpipe and replaced with ceramic coated stock pieces
- used one of Paul's hardware kits to replace all studs on head and turbo and bolts on exhaust
- replaced water crossover pipe with polished one without brackets
- swapped out MAF pipe with shorter version that hooks up with shorter connection to blow off
- sealed up exhaust leak on tial adapter
- replaced heat shields, water pump bracket, water pipe on head, steering knuckle shield, various other pieces with re-zinced parts

I don't have a wideband on the car right now but when I did last I was running on the rich side. (I guess that is how John sets up his chips to be safe) I do not have my SMT6 hooked up yet. The cylinders looked good - just a few very thin short marks at the top of 1 and 4. Running 55lb injectors but I have a set of 65lb injectors that the car was running too rich on.

I know that I need to get a wideband back on the car and also get the SMT6 going to get some logs. I suppose I should wait till then to go over 15lbs of boost? Once I have everything tuned out what would be a safe boost level to run with that turbo?

Sorry - didn't take any pics of all the fun - she is pretty grubby right now...

Last edited by Josh B; 03-05-2008 at 10:54 AM.
Old 03-04-2008, 04:59 PM
ilikemy944
Going with the pack
is quite monotonous.
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

24psi
Old 03-04-2008, 05:01 PM
Josh B
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ilikemy944
24psi
I predict you will be picking up another p-car soon
Old 03-04-2008, 05:04 PM
ilikemy944
Going with the pack
is quite monotonous.
Rennlist Member

Need.
Old 03-04-2008, 10:31 PM
TRACKIN951
Burning Brakes

You did all of that in one weekend? Your a champ man, thats a heck of a lot of work. Sounds like she will be a lot more fun to drive now!
Old 03-04-2008, 10:38 PM
Josh B
Addict
Rennlist Member

I went out this evening and did some hard pulls - gotta say I'm not impressed so far. I didn't go much over 15lbs of boost but in 4th gear I wasn't reaching 1 bar until 3800 - 3900 RPM. My K26 was spooling up a lot fast than that. I am going to replace a gasket on my tial and do a pressure check to see if I've got any leaks on the intake. Maybe with some bigger injectors and some tuning the turbo would spool up faster?
Old 03-04-2008, 11:17 PM
JE_951
Pro

Im no expert but, are you mostly unsatisfied with the boost characteristics or the power?
Old 03-05-2008, 10:37 AM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Hi Josh, a to4E 50 Trim with a #6 backend, backpressure will be an issue. Don't turn up the boost till you are able to test the backpressure. I'm thinking over 18psi things will get ugly, however the only way to know for sure is to test.
Old 03-05-2008, 10:47 AM
Josh B
Addict
Rennlist Member

Here are some pics for interest...

Old 03-05-2008, 10:50 AM
MM951
Race Director

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

Your car is so freaking sweet.. my favorite touches are the RUF wheels, can can seats, 968 turbo rs wing, + the fact its black
Old 03-05-2008, 10:54 AM
Josh B
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by fast951
Hi Josh, a to4E 50 Trim with a #6 backend, backpressure will be an issue. Don't turn up the boost till you are able to test the backpressure. I'm thinking over 18psi things will get ugly, however the only way to know for sure is to test.
Hi John,

Good to hear from you - I haven't caught up in a while. You should come by the drive on Sunday in the 930

I guess I need to search the board some for what backpressure is as I have not heard about that before. How is it measured?

This is how the previous owner described it...
"It’s a T04B with 50mm trim has a #6 hot side, oil and water cooled. This turbo was rebuilt by Majestic Turbo, was installed and removed in the same day by the previous owner because of a blown head gasket. The #6 hot side was machined to except a stage 3 turbine. It will make 21psi from 3000 rpms to redline, spools up quicker then the stock K26."

So far I've only been up to 17 PSI once and otherwise have it at 15. It does seem more powerful than the k26 but is not attaining 1 bar nearly as quickly.
Old 03-05-2008, 10:56 AM
Josh B
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mike Markota
Your car is so freaking sweet.. my favorite touches are the RUF wheels, can can seats, 968 turbo rs wing, + the fact its black
Thanks Mike - I really like your 931 nose - looks great on a red car!
Old 03-05-2008, 11:16 AM
Papamurphdog
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 60 Posts

Holy crap! That's a LOT of work for a Sunday. Nice... a lot of parts too. You said you added a new MAF pipe, but did not say if you were running a blow-by or a pull-through or if you were running stock exhaust/CAT (2.5" or 3"?) as that will make a diference on the tune. I'd take it to a shop for a complete tuning session; or if you can do it, i'd run through all the basic's and retune with all the new stuff. I'm runing 54# injectors with a Garret bb turbo and a Tial, with 3" exhaust on a Greddy pull through MAF. Making 287 rwhp @ 1.2 BAR (18'ish psi) and I dont run over 1.4 BAR to be certain that the headgaske stays in place! When I did all the mods I took it to my shop and we tuned it on the dyno to be certiain to get all the oomph out of the car.
Old 03-05-2008, 11:21 AM
Josh B
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Rickamurphy
Holy crap! That's a LOT of work for a Sunday. Nice... a lot of parts too. You said you added a new MAF pipe, but did not say if you were running a blow-by or a pull-through or if you were running stock exhaust/CAT (2.5" or 3"?) as that will make a diference on the tune. I'd take it to a shop for a complete tuning session; or if you can do it, i'd run through all the basic's and retune with all the new stuff. I'm runing 54# injectors with a Garret bb turbo and a Tial, with 3" exhaust on a Greddy pull through MAF. Making 287 rwhp @ 1.2 BAR (18'ish psi) and I dont run over 1.4 BAR to be certain that the headgaske stays in place! When I did all the mods I took it to my shop and we tuned it on the dyno to be certiain to get all the oomph out of the car.
Hi Rick - you need to come on the mountain drive we are doing on Sunday... here is a link to it...

https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-944-951-968-forum/410259-anyone-interested-in-a-north-georgia-mountain-drive.html

I am running a 3" sfr exhaust from the downpipe back with no cat. The blow off is running back into the turbo and the wastegate goes back into the exhaust. I know that I need to get with John and do some tuning on a dyno - need to get that SMT6 going first though I suppose.
Old 03-05-2008, 11:25 AM
Judson951
Drifting

Nice work over 1 weekend.

Your car is sweet finish it off with an A.I.R splitter, 968 mirrors/handles .

Quick Reply: Upgrades done over weekend - advice? - Pics added!