Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Broke Pipe-- Cause of boost problems? (Pics included)

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2005, 04:08 PM
Swagger93
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Broke Pipe-- Cause of boost problems? (Pics included)

Since I puchased my '86 951 last week it has had a rather loud exhaust leak--particularly when it is under boost, but all the time as well. Even when I first test-drove the car you could tell it wasn't boosting properly--it crawls up to maximum boost, which can only be achieved on the freeway in 4th or 5th gear after a long run. The car has a brand-new cat-back on it; obviously the p.o. hadn't had the problem figured out (perhaps because this car sat in a garage all its life and nothing ever broke).

Anyways, I pulled this pipe off the wastegate today which seemed to be the major culprit in the exhaust leak (there are more, however). Is this pipe supposed to be one fixed piece, or is that part supposed to be a slip/friction fit? An aweful amount of exhaust was coming from the separated section.

Thanks! Evan
Attached Images   
Old 05-31-2005, 05:01 PM
Dave E
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, that's completely broken, the flange should be attatched. That can be welded by someone competent to weld inconel though.
Old 05-31-2005, 05:08 PM
rhesus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What does it sound like?
Old 05-31-2005, 06:30 PM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dave E
Yes, that's completely broken, the flange should be attatched. That can be welded by someone competent to weld inconel though.
Our exhaust is made out of Inconel?? I always assumed it was SS.
Old 05-31-2005, 08:44 PM
Swagger93
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just wanted to mention that I ended up pulling off the whole wastegate because I saw another crack. This looks like a tough weld to get right--if too much is applied then I wont be able to get the heads of the bolts (previously studs/nuts) flush with the flange. In any case, I hope this solves my boost and leaking exhaust issues.

I just found out the car has the Koni yellow option and the 40% Limited slip option. The car seems like a better and better deal every day.

Oh, I managed to pull off the inlet pipe for the wastegate before removing the wastegate. Clark's says it's nearly impossible.

Quick Reply: Broke Pipe-- Cause of boost problems? (Pics included)