Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

ANOTHER HEAD TORQUE QUESTION

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2005, 07:01 AM
silver rose turbo
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ANOTHER HEAD TORQUE QUESTION

Hi can anyone help I have torqued my head down to 75lbs at 15lb intervals can someone please confirm if this is correct.Thanks silver rose turbo.
Old 05-30-2005, 08:17 AM
special tool
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you kidding around?
The latest spec is: 15 ft./lbs, 90 degrees, 90 degrees again.
3 steps.
Old 05-30-2005, 10:19 AM
silver rose turbo
Track Day

Hi can you please explain, this torque setting was told to me,would this be the answer to why I only have 60psi and the car will not start.Thanks
Old 05-30-2005, 11:17 AM
special tool
Banned

Yes - you will need an $8.00 torque angle guage to get exact angle measurements.
-torque nuts to 15 lb/ft
-turn nuts 90 degrees
-turn nuts 90 degrees again

All 3 steps will be done according to torque sequence in manual.
If you really want to be a nutjob (like me), you will chase all threads with tap/die and then oil threads. Twice.
Old 05-30-2005, 11:29 AM
silver rose turbo
Track Day

HI THANKS AGAIN FOR YOUR REPLY,I WILL EXPLAIN AGAIN AS BEST I CAN,I HAVE PUT ON A O-RINGED HEAD WITH A WIDEFIRE HEAD GASKET I WAS TOLD TO TORQUE HEAD TO 15LBS THEN GO UP TO 30/45/60/75LBS,WHEN I STARTED CAR IT RAN FOR 10/15MINS THEN DIED AND WOULD NOT START THERE IS NO SIGN OF WATER OR OIL MIXING BUT WILL A NEW HEAD GASKET NEED TO BE USED IF NOT HOW WILL I KNOW FROM THE TORQUING THAT HAS ALREADY BEEN DONE IF IT IS CORRECT SORRY BUT DOES THAT MAKE SENCE.THANKS
Old 05-30-2005, 12:32 PM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by special tool
Yes - you will need an $8.00 torque angle guage to get exact angle measurements.
Ditto, cheap and reliable (miscellaneous pic shown as example):

You would also need to torque it down using the torque sequence:

Old 05-30-2005, 05:37 PM
Tomas L
Pro

Do a leakdown test and find out if the gasket leaks or not, if it does then you need a new one.
I'm not sure what the old TQ spec was, if these number corresponds to it and it doesnt leak, don't touch it. I don't think you can do the angle spec without changin gasket.

Tomas
Old 05-30-2005, 07:10 PM
AlexE
Pro

Uhmmmm I think you have other problems...... but those are peculiar torque specs. They dont match up with old ones that I know off.

At idle 75lbs would be fine to hold that gasket so I dont think thats your problem for the non-running issue.

But the torque degree method usually nets out around 75-90ft/lbs depending how carefull you were on thread preparation.
Old 05-30-2005, 08:55 PM
silver rose turbo
Track Day

HI THANKS FOR YOUR HELP ON THIS BUT THERE IS SOMETHING I FORGOT TO SAY,I DID REV THE ENGINE I GOT IT ABOVE JUST ABOVE 2,000 THEN SHE JUST DIED ON ME.
Old 05-30-2005, 11:48 PM
z3bra
Racer

Just an observation: You had the head off which requires several other parts to be removed and replaced such as the timing belt and possibly the rotor for the distributor (depending on what you took off/apart in cleaning things up). I have to agree with AlexE, have you completely eliminated the possibility that it could be something else which is causing the no-start condition?

I just don't think your torque method, while incorrect, is necessarily far enough off that it would cause the car to stop running altogether so I'd say to start looking for something else as the root cause.

On the upside, since you only went to 75 on the torque, you might be able to get away with retorquing it correctly without replacing the head gasket since it's possible you still have some crush left in it. It's worth a try at least and might save you some unnecessary work.
Old 05-31-2005, 02:45 AM
cpt_koolbeenz
Drifting

Can you turn over the engine by hand? 24mm on the crank bolt turn the engine over carefully... Does it turn over smoothly? What happened when it died? Any noises? Are you getting a spark? Fuel?
Old 05-31-2005, 06:14 AM
silver rose turbo
Track Day

I HAVE FUEL/SPARK,ENGINE TURNS OVER BY HAND ON CRANK,THERE WERE NO NOISES WHEN ENGINE GENTLY DIED,I HAVE REMOVED CAM TOWER AND ALL LOOKS WELL,I DID NOT NO WHAT COMPRESION I HAD PRIOR TO THIS NEW HEAD GOING ON BUT ALL I DO KNOW IS SHE RAN LIKE A DREAM,WHAT IS GETTING TO ME IS THE FACT THAT IT IS ALL MY FAULT,IF I HAD NOT TOUCHED THAT BOLT NON OF THIS WOULD HAVE HAD TO BE DONE BUT AS A FRIEND OF MINE SAID **** HAPPENS.THANKS SILVER ROSE TURBO.
Old 05-31-2005, 11:16 PM
Brett
Addict
Rennlist Member

Just one other thing to check. When we took apart one of my friends 951 we didn't get a good seal on the intake manifold and it would start up but quickly die. Take a second look at the seals and torque on the intake manifole bolts.
Hope it works out.
Old 05-31-2005, 11:59 PM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

Are you using factory studs?
Old 06-01-2005, 02:41 AM
cpt_koolbeenz
Drifting

Originally Posted by Brett
Just one other thing to check. When we took apart one of my friends 951 we didn't get a good seal on the intake manifold and it would start up but quickly die. Take a second look at the seals and torque on the intake manifole bolts.
Hope it works out.
Hahaha! That was a good time... Never seen a guy's face so white!

Quick Reply: ANOTHER HEAD TORQUE QUESTION