Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Limited Slip Diff's How do you identify them without the code number

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2005, 03:35 PM
danny951
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well, i'm curious too, but still no accurate test to figure this out?
Old 06-02-2005, 03:43 PM
TRWright
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Sam Lin
Those of you with aftermarket added LSDs, keep in mind that the Quaife and clutch-type react oppositely to the "turn one wheel" test.

Sam
Sam, can you explain on about this? Are you saying that with an aftermarket LSD, when you spin one wheel the other will spin opposite? Here is my thing: When I first bought the car, I had it on a lift, and spun one wheel, the other wheel spun in the same direction, and when I left my gf's apartment in an angry fit (more mad than I have ever been in my life), I left two very long rubber marks through first and second, they are actually still there . Well, I have my car on stands now, and checked it out again, and this time the wheel spins in the opposite direction. I am so confused, I swear I am not crazy!
Old 06-02-2005, 04:26 PM
AL951
Racer

It is possible to do a burnout on a 951 with no LSD and still leave to black line on the road. IF the car loads evenly the rear tires, it will do it. I kown, because my car does not have and LSD, and most of the time when lanch hard from a stop, will do that.........For those that think that they may have a clutch-type LSD, get the car in the air, put the trans in neutral, have some one help you by holding one of the rear tires while you try turning the other. If the tire turns freely = No LSD, If the tire doesn't turn or turns very very slowly like if the brakes were apply= clutch-type SLD. I have no experience with Quaife diffs.
Old 06-02-2005, 08:32 PM
Zero10
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Crap, I'm wrong. I read through the service records, and it's a Guard's unit, not a Quaife. Don't know if there's much of a difference. I have no idea if it's a clutch-type, a viscous fluid type, or whatever....

The PO filled the transmission with 80W90 swepco, with no friction modifier. I hope this didn't damage it in any way.
Old 06-03-2005, 12:01 AM
bronco951
Advanced

i doubt mine ahd a lsd it would spin both tires if i realy tried. but usually only one
Old 06-05-2005, 10:39 PM
Swagger93
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I always test for LSD by putting one wheel on some gravel and one wheel on pavement, sending it up around 3,000 rpm and quickly slipping the clutch. If I hear the left wheel (pavement) squeel and leave a mark I generally assume a state of LS.

Quick Reply: Limited Slip Diff's How do you identify them without the code number