Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Another 2.8L on eBay - Lots of RWHP!

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2005 | 10:33 PM
Swagger93
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by shaheed
you're assuming that there is even a 2.8l in this car, the seller has lied about serveral things so far, you have no way of knowing if this is a 2.8l without taking it apart. buyer beware.

Hey man, I was just commenting on a thread, not trying to make statements that credit or discredit this gentleman. I'm simply stating my experience with him....and i'm not assuming anything....except that a real, tuned 2.8L turbo is probably going to be a fast car.

caveat emptor
Old 06-12-2005 | 09:52 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rob- how have you been? Glad to hear you got your car back.... I've been meaning to PM you.... I'll do it soon....

Actually, a Supra TT has slightly shorter gears than 951, which, helps it even more in acceleration, BUT, it DOES have that extra 6th gear- they redline (w/STOCK redline) around 192... the 951 runs 167 @ 6400 redline & the only way to change that is w/gears or taller RD- Defastest- you must have been a little over 7k rpms to run 185... Of course, your taller RD tires would help a little, although not as much a dif gear- btw- I LOVE the way your rear fenders look w/those tires in there- the pics on the Powerhaus site make it look perfect- the stock fender/tire situation is ugly at some angles- the wheel is a tiny bit small (I mean the RD, BUT, the wheel too), the car needs to be lowered a TINY bit (maybe 1/2") & the wheel needs to come OUTWARD more (wider w/same offset would work)- it's a threefold thing & looks like defastest hit it right...

Anyway, I love your car Defastest, but, either something was wrong w/that Supra or someone wasn't driving it right- was he running lower boost maybe? There shouldn't be much contest there- the Cx isn't bad on those & neither is the frontal area- 951's have mediocre Cx (.33)- many cars are below .30 nowdays- 951 FA = 20.4 sq ft- pretty decent.... As for TRACK cars, stock Supra TT's blow stock 951's away. Hell, a regular 951 runs WSIR b/t 1:45.x & 1:46.x. Stock Turbo S ran it @ 1:41. Stock Supra TT was 1:39.0- that's 2 FULL seconds faster than a Turbo S... Stock Viper GTSR is under 1:36- of course, when you start modding, things can go either way- obviously a Supra has it over the 951 in spades when it comes to acceleration mods, but, I think the 951 would be much easier to stiffen up & make it hang better than a Supra, PARTLY b/c of weight & WHERE the weight is. Unfortunately though, the Supra has a MUCH better street suspension set-up- multi-link beets NON-multi link ANY day of the week where bumps & ruts can be found...

I rode in a 650rwhp Supra- it was supposed to be down in the 450rwhp range running lower boost- it was fast, but, I expected better... I know those cars are ~500lbs heavier than 951's, but, this guy said his was ~3150, which is almost exactly what a 951 is- Turbo S off showroom floor, w/full tank, etc was more like 3160lbs, although R&T & C&D both showed it ~3300lbs... THAT was the FIRST thing I noticed about the ebay car- he claimed 2800lbs- pics showed a full interior, so, how the hell did he drop 350lbs...? Anyway, I just honestly don't think most Supras have what people claim they have in them- not to say they don't have the POTENTIAL, but, its just that EVERYONE knows w/ECU, EBC, & exhaust work you can have ~400RWHP/TQ... add larger single turbo & w/the right tuning you're in the 550RWHP range- not sure what the TQ is then, but, the few dynos I've seen of 800RWHP Supras were at least 150 short on TQ- Anyway, they know about the bolt-on mods & read the mags w/featured Supras running in the 900's, etc- there were supposedly two in Texas ~1yr ago running >1400- people start exxagerating & before you know it, a 500rwhp Supra is being called a 850FWHP Supra.... I know they can be built, but, I just dont think there are as many around as people act- the boost is another factor- Powerhaus tests w/high boost for #'s, but, I'm not as impressed w/those #'s- I'd rather see what they do w/17-18psi, b/c I'd want to drive mine like that- Defastest's car would STILL be impressive at such #'s, of course.... I'm just not sure that Supra owners don't do the same thing- you know- dyno at 25psi & drive at 15psi...

Those are just my thoughts- I would LOVE to have a Supra TT engine in any car.... I also like the car itself, but, would not want one over a 951- I HATE the F&F image... I wouldn't call it God's car, but, it is a good car- that engine is where it's at though- too bad we'd never get on in the 951....
Old 06-12-2005 | 09:59 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

HEY PORSHHHH951..... PM me will you John....? I've tried to send you a PM or two but you're box is full......

OH yeah, Rob- dod the guy ever say who built the engine???

Sorry for the tangent reply....

thanks guys
Old 06-12-2005 | 10:52 AM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Hey Robby: What's up man? Thought you fell off of the face of the earth?

And no, the guy never emailed me back about who built the engine.

Old 06-12-2005 | 01:54 PM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RolexNJ
Hey Robby: What's up man? Thought you fell off of the face of the earth?
Actually, I've fallen off a FEW times.... somehow, though, I keep grabbing back on, but, I almost always come to regret it...

Old 06-12-2005 | 02:13 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Robby
Actually, I've fallen off a FEW times.... somehow, though, I keep grabbing back on, but, I almost always come to regret it...

Dude, you are to to much! Send me a PM when you can. Also, since we haven't talked in a while, my car is finallt done and went to the dyno too! If you haven't already, click on the link below and go to my home page. Check it out...

Old 06-12-2005 | 04:16 PM
944Fest (aka Dan P)
Unaffiliated

Dfastest, I remember a comment a while back "IF I still have the car in July, I'll bring it to the 944Fest" With the auction in August, maybe you and Rolex can meet midstates and put on one heck of a show!!!
Old 06-12-2005 | 04:36 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

944Fest: I would absolutely love too! But, I have so much personal stuff going on now. But moreso, I'm waiting for the delivery of my car from Lindsey's shop. "Hopefully" it will be here in 4 weeks. If I can't make it this year, I will next.

Old 06-12-2005 | 04:39 PM
NZ951
Race Director

They have your car again? Are they trying to sort out those timing issues?
Old 06-12-2005 | 04:55 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by NZ951
They have your car again? Are they trying to sort out those timing issues?

First of all, why do you care? You hate them. So I can't see how this question is adding any value to the thread. Second, I don't know where you are getting your information from, but you are totally wrong. Please do me a favor and don't make public assumptions about me or my car. It is not polite and is totally misinforming the Rennlist community about my car - hence spreading false rumors.

Thanks in advance for your cooperation.

Old 06-12-2005 | 05:07 PM
NZ951
Race Director

Sorry Rolex, but I heard from a very credible source you had / have timing issues with it, maybe they have been resolved, who knows...
Old 06-12-2005 | 05:10 PM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Sorry Rolex, but I heard from a very credible source you had / have timing issues with it, maybe they have been resolved, who knows...
Rob's car NEVER left the Lindsey Racing facility, the ONLY time it did was for the dyno runs.........

Since you never contact Lindsey racing (as we all know), then how does you're "reliable source" know that Rob's car has timing issues?????????? what.........FBI, CIA? you hired a private eye to spy on Lindsey Racing or something????
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I dont care what your sources are, stop it now please. I have been nice about it. You don't know me, and definately don't know the cost (as you assumed one time in a previous thread) and the status of my car in any capacity. So again, stay on focus with the thread and stop making assumptions, period.
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by hosrom_951
Rob's car NEVER left the Lindsey Racing facility, the ONLY time it did was for the dyno runs.........

Since you never contact Lindsey racing (as we all know), then how does you're "reliable source" know that Rob's car has timing issues?????????? what.........FBI, CIA? you hired a private eye to spy on Lindsey Racing or something????
Hos, you just said it all, thanks.

Old 06-12-2005 | 05:12 PM
NZ951
Race Director

You girls crack me up.

Quick Reply: Another 2.8L on eBay - Lots of RWHP!