Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Turbo post-mortem

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2005, 09:52 PM
DHC8FO
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Turbo post-mortem

Guess what I found in my turbo? I noticed a noise under high boost, that was getting worse, and figured that my turbo was going out. Replaced in about 5-1/2 hours no broken studs. Decided to see exactly what the problem was. Found it. I'm amazed it still ran, not only that, I could still pull 7 PSI without hitting the impeller. I got the engine when it was all torn apart, I guess someone left me a present.

Last edited by DHC8FO; 07-16-2013 at 05:01 AM.
Old 05-17-2005, 09:56 PM
TRWright
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not sure what I am more amazed about; you finding that in your turbo, or you removing the turbo without breaking any studs!
Old 05-18-2005, 03:27 AM
testarossa_td
Race Car

A good reason when buying used parts to thouroughly check them out.
Way to go on the turbo removal. Maybe you have some tips to share??
Did you use a specific guide any tips or tricks?
Old 05-18-2005, 01:04 PM
DHC8FO
Racer

Wobble scockets help, and I used a ball allen for the bolts that held the turbo to the stand (this was the biggest help as I did not have to remove the steering knuckle). It also helps to have access to a lift.

I acutally bought the car in parts originally last June, put it together in about 2 months. A reputable local shop told the previous owner that one of the pistons was burned and the cylinder wall damaged, told her she needed a new engine. I bought a new engine and decided to see what I could salvage on the old engine, and found only a blown head gasket. The car was running a chip with high boost and a stock headgasket. The head had been removed and just placed back on the engine. I think that maybe this is when it found it's way into the exhaust.
Old 05-18-2005, 05:03 PM
testarossa_td
Race Car

Makes you wonder about the shop. I have found this to be the case several times in my Porsche dealings. A shop will tell an owner something and it freaks them out, then they are like, well can you sell my car...and that is when you get good deals. So you have a spare engine?
Old 05-18-2005, 07:50 PM
DHC8FO
Racer

This was a shop I had had limited dealings with, and all were good. Something was screwy as they had removed the head originally for inspection. I'm planning to have the crank balanced and bottom end gone through with relief on the #2 rod oil journal. I've allready had the head remachined, This way I'll have a spare to swap out somewhere down the road. After talking to my machine shop they tell me that the cylinders should polish up nicely as there are no scratches in the walls, and I can reuse the pistons/rods. Kind of nice to be able to buy new parts one at a time. I originally thought I'd sell it, but after putting the head on ebay with a $600 reserve, and I've spent $300 to have it redone, I'd be luck to recoupe what I have into it. So I'm going long term on this investment.

Quick Reply: Turbo post-mortem