Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

FOUND turbo knowledge! (is this the right turbo?)

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2005, 10:31 PM
David Floyd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

https://rennlist.com/forums/off-topic/204983-homebrew-hp.html

j/k
Old 05-20-2005, 03:20 AM
Corleone
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Old 05-20-2005, 03:54 AM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First of all jackass, YOU came to OUR board and asked the question. Secondly, I'll spend (15k) less building my 3.0, 8 valve 951, than you will turning your Audi into a 951. Lastly, you've been told more than once, BUY CORKY BELL'S BOOK! You have shown repeatedly that you don't have a clue what the hell you're getting into, or you would have listened to a guy like Chris White, a well known expert in turbo build outs.
I hope your car works out, but don't come here with some cavalier attitude and expect us to help you, especially if you never intended to take our advice in the first place. Take your idiot butt back to wherever, and don't get in front of us on the track.
We will all help you to the best of our ability, but you have to be willing to listen, learn, and leave your damned ego somewhere else.
So, on the topic:
1. N'A makes too much compression. You need new pistons. 1K minimum.
2. Your head will NEVER handle the heat, and boost. 2k easy
3. You need connecting rods. 966.00 or more.
4. you need a block that will work with the above AND support the boost. 2k minimum...very minimum with nec. work.
5. You need a turbo. Buy what you want, but do it right, or your performance will be the antithesis of that. ie...don't know anyone on the board w/ a t25.
6. Chips? That doesn't mean lay's or ruffles. 395.00 min.
7. new DME/KLR insert cash here.
8. waste gate 350.00 min
9. intercooler, and fittings, 565.00 ++
10. clutch to handle new power. 1k+
11. various vac. connections, hoses, ic ducting, pipes, pumps, pullies belts,etc. 3k
12. proper injectors. 400.00
13. crossover pipe ?250.00
14. headers 500.00 to 2500.00 for sfr.
15. labor?...let's not go there! I presume you hope to do this yourself.
16. willingness to listen, learn, and not be a JACKASS....priceless.

It'll cost me 13,900 for a 500 rwhp 951, using the one I own, for a 3.0, 8 valve. Feel free to ask for the break down. Ive done it about fifty times. And so you know... The first 4 k get paid to Chris White....just to prepare the block!

Lastly, we weren't joking. Buy a 951. It will be roughly, (depending on the quality of the car) 10K cheaper.

Don't ask if you don't ACTUALLY CARE TO KNOW!

Old 05-20-2005, 09:07 AM
Campeck
Campeck Rulez
Rennlist Member

wtf dude?

yes I asked for info. yall have helped me alot.
attitude? I dont like being told what i CAN and CANNOT do. I WILL do it and when it works for less than a grand I WILL laugh in naysayers faces...like you. the prices you are listing are rediculous!!!! I happen to have found the intercooler I need for 50 bucks last night. the turbo for less than 160 and custom made headers for less than 300. an apexi will take car of fuel problems. internal wastegate means no buying another one. I make the piping myself.

buy the book? I probably will. (how do you know I havent?)
but dont say I have an attitude when you tell me my efforts arn't worth **** to me or anyone else.

Im not joking...im NOT buying a 951.

thanks.
Old 05-20-2005, 09:10 AM
Campeck
Campeck Rulez
Rennlist Member

heh. corleone. that look snice but...I can fit that in there without hacking the crap out of my front end. lol!.
Old 05-20-2005, 09:26 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

You have a $1k budget, you are buying used parts and a turbo for less than $160 and you are worrying about ‘hacking’ up your car?

I am all for ingenuity and low buck engineering (that’s why I don’t have a 911!!!) but reality is reality. As you said – you don’t like people telling you what to do, I wouldn’t even think of that – I just hope you will actually try it this time instead of building it in a fantasy land (200hp NA comes to mind if I remember correctly).

Chris White

PS – flex pipe does not work well for turbo headers…ooops there I go again telling you what to do…
Old 05-20-2005, 09:46 AM
Maciek
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ashton,
The reason people are being skeptical is that, believe it or not, you're not the first person who has tried this. Others have and have abandoned their projects and alot of the guys giving you advice are the same people who tried to help them.

If you want my advice, it is this, before you go out and buy any parts, just sit down and do some research (I know that is what you're doing right now, but I think you could use some more,as could I, hence why I'm reading) find out exactly what you're going to need, and how much it will cost you, and be damn certain that you have everything listed. These projects can quickly get bogged down with several seemingly small custom parts that cost alot.

Also remember that turbocharged cars require alot more maintenance and alot more can go wrong very quickly if something isn't right. What are you doing to monitor boost and air/fuel ratios? Do you plan on running a wideband oxygen sensor? Also, since you have a custom chip request, it won't be spot on the first time. Plan on doing multiple dyno runs to get your air/fuel ratio properly mapped out, also this in itself will cost you $400, and thats if you don't have to go to a piggyback or standalone system. Are you planning on running an electric boost controller or manual? Boost guage? Have you figured out if you're using an adjustable fuel pressure regulator? Bigger injectors? Upgraded fuel pump? Just the things I have listed can easily add up to 1K in parts.

I know you're excited about this, and if you pull it off, I'll be excited to hear about it, but for now just take a deep breath, take one step back and double check to ensure you have everything covered. I don't mean to sound overbearing, its just what I have learned over the past few years of learning about these cars. Take it or leave it, but good luck!
Old 05-20-2005, 09:55 AM
Jon Moeller
Three Wheelin'

When I was a kid, a friend and I built a helicopter in the backyard out of 2x4's. I think that thing had a pretty good shot at lift off when compared to this project.

Not wanting people to impose limitations is much different than denying facts. A lot of the people that are replying are stating facts. If you don't want to accept them, more power to you. You might want to try praying for Divine Intervention, because that is your best chance for success.

-J
Old 05-20-2005, 02:03 PM
Campeck
Campeck Rulez
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Chris White
PS – flex pipe does not work well for turbo headers…ooops there I go again telling you what to do…

no no.
Im all for info and suggestions, it just seems that that guy came out of knowhere saying i was a jackass.
i will sit down. review my list. you know, check with you guys.
I just think that the outragous prices ppl are listing is insane. Iv founf 80-90% of what i need to make this happen for less than 600 already.
ill see what happens when the time comes for putting it all together and stuff starts to appear.

chris. ive got the fuel problem under control. ill get an adjustable fuel regulator. 55 lb injectors. and an apexi fuel controller. you mentioned timing. what do i need to do to the timing. the guy with the SC has no intercooler...stock pistons...and not sure if he had to do anything to timing. do you think if i have a large enough intercooler and keep it slightly rich i will still need to adjust the timing?

thanks.
Old 05-20-2005, 02:11 PM
Campeck
Campeck Rulez
Rennlist Member

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...RK%3AMEWA%3AIT

guys. how about this? the dimensions are precisely what im looking for, the only problem is the inlets are 1,5 ID. Is that to small?
Old 05-20-2005, 02:19 PM
ttwirz
Racer

Hay i'm "that guy". I do have an intercooler. Acording to SFR if I run 5 psi no intercooler, injectors, MAF etc. needed. with 8 psi I needed the intercooler plus other stuff listed. I plan on doing an engine rebuild and will use turbo pistons and up the psi.
Old 05-20-2005, 03:07 PM
Campeck
Campeck Rulez
Rennlist Member

oh.
did you adjust the timing?or have something that adjusts it for you?
Old 05-20-2005, 03:17 PM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

That sounds about the right boost for no intercooler/intercooler. You could get more boost if you retard the timing too.
You need to retard the timing by about 15 degrees at 1 bar of boost.
You can get around that a little by running high octane gas – the higher the better!

Last I heard some folks were having problems integrating the Apexi fuel controller with the DME, I have never tried that so I don’t know if that is true or not.
Old 05-20-2005, 03:33 PM
special tool
Banned

Campeck - how old are you?
I know a guy with a 951, who is 17 - and he thinks you are a little goofy.

And by the way - I rule, you DEFINITELY do not.
Old 05-20-2005, 04:53 PM
booster
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

It's Frankin44, sounds like that thing is going to be a morphidite with all those cobbled parts. You could always strap a leaf blower to the intake for boost.

Quick Reply: FOUND turbo knowledge! (is this the right turbo?)