Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Explicit directions for tapping into KLR boost line

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2005, 05:14 PM
Teddy952
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Explicit directions for tapping into KLR boost line

I have installed an Autometer boost gauge. I need to tap into the boost line that runs to the KLR inside of car. Right now I have a long Lindsey vacuum line running off of the manifold into the back of the boost gauge. I want to tap off of the line to the KLR to neaten things up.

The Autometer came with 1/8 inch nylon tubing and a brass crush ferrule to install onto the back of the gauge. The stock tubing to the KLR is something close the 3/16ths. How can I cut the line to the KLR and "T" it off to the 1/8th tubing to the gauge? I have searched for a brass "T" with 2 crush ferrules for 3/16ths and one for 1/8th.

Does anyone have directions on just how this can or has been done from the KLR? If I need some brass fittings, were can I order some online??

Thanks
TED
Old 05-11-2005, 05:43 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I used a 1/8" plastic T (available all over the place, hardware stores prolly, pet stores with fish tank supplies for sure I bet) and some 1/8" hose. Clip the KLR line, put two lengths of hose on the T then stick the KLR line into the hose. Now use 3 or 4 zipties on the rubber hose at all connections. Boom, done.
Old 05-11-2005, 06:22 PM
schnellfahrer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Courtesy of slim_boy_fat:

Old 05-11-2005, 08:17 PM
awilson40
Three Wheelin'

Hit Advance, Auto Zone or Pepboys. Look for a display with various rubber vacuum fittings.
I found a rubber 'T' that would slip over the KLR line and the plastic tubing that is supplied with the autometer guage.
I also used small zip ties as added insurance of the tubes slipping out.
Old 05-11-2005, 10:13 PM
Teddy952
Racer

Thanks for the help guys!

It looks like the zip tie is the way to go. If it holds then its fine with me.

thanks
TED
Old 05-12-2005, 12:49 AM
eniac
Drifting

I did it a bit different. As you can see in the pic I found that the KLR tube fit very snug inside the platic tube for my gauge. The only way I could get the smaller tube inside the larger one was to use some lubricant....which was in the form of plastic cement.
http://community.webshots.com/photo/...34249180vZpDPY
Old 05-12-2005, 12:53 AM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by schnellfahrer
Courtesy of slim_boy_fat:

I did something very similar to that
Old 05-12-2005, 04:27 AM
DDP
Rocket Scientist
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by hosrom_951
I did something very similar to that
Old 05-12-2005, 01:34 PM
Renn 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Teddy952
I have installed an Autometer boost gauge. I need to tap into the boost line that runs to the KLR inside of car. Right now I have a long Lindsey vacuum line running off of the manifold into the back of the boost gauge. I want to tap off of the line to the KLR to neaten things up.
Ted: seems to me the direct connection you have now is better than tapping off the KLR inside the car. What's preventing you from "neatening things up" with your current connection? You should be able to zip tie the vacuum line in the engine compartment to some of the other cable runs under the hood so it's not just hanging there loose.

Old 05-12-2005, 02:08 PM
painkiller
Racer

Renn, no disrespect intended but isnt there more wall flex/expansion with the silicone tubing than the hard plastic line the factory used that may delay or under represent what the actual boost is?

Also, has anyone found a good source for a replacement plastic line for the klr so I can get rid of the yellow pos that is in there now?

John
Old 05-12-2005, 03:38 PM
schnellfahrer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe someone can explain what purpose the line to the KLR serves when you've bypassed the cycling valve?
Old 05-12-2005, 04:11 PM
eniac
Drifting

Maybe someone can explain what purpose the line to the KLR serves when you've bypassed the cycling valve?
I believe the KLR still makes timing adjustments based on boost and various other factors.
Old 05-12-2005, 04:29 PM
Renn 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by painkiller
Renn, no disrespect intended but isnt there more wall flex/expansion with the silicone tubing than the hard plastic line the factory used that may delay or under represent what the actual boost is?
John:

OK, somehow I missed the part about the "long Lindsay vacuum line" and didn't interpret that as silicon tubing. I was thinking he had the 1/8" nylon line tapped off the manifold, and didn't understand what he was looking for when he said "neaten up."

There's actually several pretty easy ways to do this with the 1/8" line right off the engine rather than cutting into the KLR line and a search on "boost gauge installation" will show some. That seems to be the preferred method, although I think any accuracy difference with the KLR line method is probably pretty small.
Old 05-12-2005, 05:35 PM
painkiller
Racer

Renn, I think you are probably correct, the difference in accuracy is probably minimal if at all, I just figured the factory used that hard wall line for a reason. And does anyone have a source for that line? The brittle yellow tubing on mine is way overdue for replacement, I talked with Chuck @ Paragon and they dont carry it.

John
Old 05-13-2005, 03:03 AM
testarossa_td
Race Car

Originally Posted by painkiller
Renn, I think you are probably correct, the difference in accuracy is probably minimal if at all, I just figured the factory used that hard wall line for a reason. And does anyone have a source for that line? The brittle yellow tubing on mine is way overdue for replacement, I talked with Chuck @ Paragon and they dont carry it.

John
Item: #1000387

944Online.com

Quick Reply: Explicit directions for tapping into KLR boost line