Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

XP: Anyone using Corbeau seats?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2005, 01:18 PM
streckfu's
Rennlist Member

Received 668 Likes on 448 Posts
Default XP: Anyone using Corbeau seats?

I'm interested in picking up a set of either the A4 or Legacy seats and would like to hear from those that have experience with them. How comfortable are they, how's the build quality, support, etc?

Thanks,
Old 05-11-2005, 01:58 PM
Evan70
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not very comfortable, and not great build quality either. I tried a pair in my Firehawk, and while they offer decent lateral support, they are very hard and have a huge ridge that is a real pain in the back (pun intended) at the top of the lumbar area. One of the sliders on the rails was screwed up when I got it, one of the plastic covers on a harness slot cracked within a month (and I never even used a harness on it), and I got two tears in the fabric with a month. And to top it all off, the rails would only fit a person probably 5'6" or taller in the Firehawk, and my wife is 5'0". I ended up selling them, taking a slight loss, and going back to the stock seats. At this point I'm still looking for seats for that car, but I will not be going the cheap route again.
Old 05-11-2005, 02:08 PM
streckfu's
Rennlist Member

Which seats did you use? The A4s?
Old 05-11-2005, 02:13 PM
Evan70
Pro

Yep, A4s. I wouldn't hesitate to use some of the Corbeau fixed back seats on a dedicated track car, but if it is going to see any street use, I'd go with Sparco or something similar. This is defintely one of those times when you get what you pay for.
Old 05-11-2005, 03:04 PM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

Daniel,
I can offer some insight as well. I've only had em a week or so. My FX1 Pro's (fixed back) are very nice looking seats, I love the fiberglass shell. They are fairly comfortable, though I am disapointed that the seats are actually a tad higher then the factory seats (power up/down set all the way down) My hair touches the ceiling, and I'll never fit inside with a helmet, I'll have to have the seats shaved (an option Corbeau offers for 30 bucks) It is obvious you are not sitting in a pair of recaro's, but the 1000 dollars I saved can go to a Quiffe, or something. If you have lots of money to spend, by all means go with Recaro, they made our stock seats, and they make excellent aftermarket seats. The tops of the FX1 Pro's flex a bit more then I would have expected, it isn't a problem in lateral support, which is excellent. I may get a back support for the seat, which also, iirc, allows me to use these seats in sanctioned racing (not that I'm good enough yet anyway)
~Eyal
Old 05-11-2005, 04:16 PM
simmomi
Pro

Glad I saw this thread. On second thought...Maybe the factory sport seats are looking better.
Old 05-11-2005, 04:28 PM
smokey
Pro

I have the Corbeau CR1's, a swing-forward street seat with shoulder harness slots, and I like them a lot. In fact, this is my second set. I use them only for track, and driving to and from the track. I had sub-belt holes put in by an upholstery shop. The only problem was installing the track: a royal p in the b. I initially tried one of their tubular steel track seats, but after one drive round the block I returned it and bought the CR1's. The track seat was too uncomfortable.
Old 05-11-2005, 04:38 PM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

Mike, the FX1 pro is quite a different seat then the reclining and higher quality, higher pirced TRS you are looking at. You may want to consider seeing one in person. If you are looking to lose weight in the car, rather then gain a bunch with power sport seats, and you want superior holding, the Corbeaus would be a better choice. It depends on what the uses of the car is. The FX1 Pro is a great fixed back seat, I use it for streat too, its just not going to hold a candle to the factory seats in terms of ease, and dailability. (Thats what seats like TRS are for)
~Eyal
Old 05-11-2005, 05:05 PM
simmomi
Pro

I'm not tracking my car at all. It's a weekend car, and occasional daily use as needed. However, after doing some spirited driving through the mountains with the other locals, I saw how much my seats allow me to slide around.

I'm still heavily considering the factory sports as I just love the look. I like the Corbeaus too, don't get me wrong. But I can't deny that I'm concerned about any potential issues/problems that could crop up from installing the aftermarket seats.

I think I just need to stick with the factory seats. I know I like them, and it's what I really wanted in the first place.

Thanks for your time Eyal...
Old 05-11-2005, 05:27 PM
Tb311
Racer

Well I just got my A4's in and havent installed them yet, I should have them in by this weekend. So far they look pretty good the only problem I had was with the brakets and slider nothing a little grinding couldnt fix. But one of the reasons I didn't go for the factory sports seats was because I got a pretty good deal on these thanks to eyal and I got them in black microsuede .
Old 05-11-2005, 05:34 PM
streckfu's
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tb311
Well I just got my A4's in and I got them in black microsuede .

How much did that cost?
Old 05-11-2005, 05:37 PM
Tb311
Racer

Well it was $774 shipped for a pair including the brakets.
Old 05-11-2005, 05:41 PM
streckfu's
Rennlist Member

Thanks!
Old 05-11-2005, 06:21 PM
DanG
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just picked up some A4s, $375 for the pair, no brackets. Absolutely brand new condition. I've read on here that the stock 944 sliders can be drilled to accept these seats very easily. I haven't mounted them yet, 1st priority is getting the car running again.
Old 05-11-2005, 08:37 PM
Evan70
Pro

Originally Posted by simmomi
I'm not tracking my car at all. It's a weekend car, and occasional daily use as needed. However, after doing some spirited driving through the mountains with the other locals, I saw how much my seats allow me to slide around.
You need factory sport seats. They are much better at holding you in place, and I'm even very satisfied with them for track use. The only reason I'd ever replace mine is to loose weight, or if it's too expensive to recover them.

Quick Reply: XP: Anyone using Corbeau seats?