Thanks
Old 05-12-2005, 12:40 PM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

The new software will not increase the price of the kits. We just made a good thing better without raising the prices...
Old 05-12-2005, 12:49 PM
ewainwright
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Trash the Link – well there are better choices.

My personal view is that any system (including stand alone) boils down to support. In a perfect world support wouldn’t matter. However, we are not dealing in a perfect world. No car is perfect or incapable of breaking down. Things go wrong and not everyone is an engineer or has a high automotive expertise. For us it’s nice to have someone to walk the road, who knows the road - the been there done it and own it type of person. Further, dedicated support would realize that several users are having the same problems and would do whatever is necessary to improve the product (Continuous Improvement Theory).

This is not to say that the MAP system doesn’t have some good points because it does.. Up until my last upgrade (competition valve job) I’ve been able to adjust my fuel delivery to give me the best A/F ratio. In addition, it was a positive experience while I was on a trip and blew off a boost tube and the car still ran.

The downside is the weak connector. You cannot get around them. You need to plug in your laptop for the data logger. Since you cannot adjust any of the cells with your laptop you need to unplug the laptop and plug in the hand held controller. Secondly, you are not going to get right the first time. It takes several trial and errors before you get a good A/F curve. In another words, there is more opportunity to take out the weak “link” sort to speak.
Edit: I forgot to talk about hesitation. Interestingly, there was a discussing regarding this issue and some who did not have the MAP unit experienced the same issue. With the MAP it will not go away but you can minimize it. First, set your TPS spread then use Accel TPS then find an open parking lot, copilot, and throw her in reverse while using your brake. With the hand held co-pilot spotting and adjusting zones and giving dad directions for RPM you should fight with cells 400, 405, 410, 500, 505, 510, Actually, make an assumption based on values next to and above for zones 400 and 500. I have found myself taking away rather large valves here with Mark’s, Jason’s and mine.

The first time that I sent my MAP unit for repairs it took a month and a half (it was under warranty – no cost. Danno was in the loop then.) Now my latest issue is this. At first the hand held controller stopped working with the MAP. I sent it to Link and they report that there was nothing wrong with it. That took three weeks. Then the data started giving me strange numbers. I’ve been putting off sending the MAP back for repairs - I guess that I am acting like a kid that doesn’t want to give up a new toy. Today I have no choice in the matter as my car refuses to start. As far as I can determine, there is no signal coming from the MAP unit itself. So now I am calling Link for an assignment number and will overnight the unit to them.

Then on the other side you have Fast951. I’ve only recall one customer complaint. It appeared that customer opened his unit to see what was in it. It didn’t appear that Fast951 was a happy camper or could I blame him. The other customer problem I recall was a unit stolen on delivery. Fast951 replaced it. Fast951 customers will defend him, his service and product. I’ve emailed several times and received a quick answer. Another is Chris White. One time I called Chris White to see if he had a prepared head for sale. He didn’t pick up the phone immediately so I hung up figuring that he was very busy. Was I surprised when he immediately called me back! Dave at Lindsey is on my speed dialer. There are other!

So why shoot yourself in the foot with the MAP and **** poor support

Last edited by ewainwright; 05-13-2005 at 12:29 PM.
Old 05-12-2005, 08:05 PM
eastendr
Instructor

Originally Posted by Duke
IMHO the AFM Link works very well..
I have a flat A/F-curve, normal cold/hot starts etc.
Gustaf, is that because you've burned a DME map based on the Link's values being set 'flat' ? i.e just running as a map sensor with no other signal manipulation ?

Doing so would definetely get rid of the weird way the link seems to massage values ! - however it would negate the advantage of being able to trim the map in a predictable way using the link ?

I'm still against using additional processors (boxes) to adjust the base map. Too many variables to go wrong. Just my recent experiences ....

Rick
Old 05-13-2005, 05:56 AM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I believe ewainwright pretty much nailed it, it ALL comes down to support.
Old 05-13-2005, 07:35 AM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by eastendr
Gustaf, is that because you've burned a DME map based on the Link's values being set 'flat' ? i.e just running as a map sensor with no other signal manipulation ?

Doing so would definetely get rid of the weird way the link seems to massage values ! - however it would negate the advantage of being able to trim the map in a predictable way using the link ?

I'm still against using additional processors (boxes) to adjust the base map. Too many variables to go wrong. Just my recent experiences ....

Rick

I bought the AFMLink box used and the hand controller I got was not working. So instead of getting a new controller and massaging the values in the Link, I developed a custom chip for the application.
Old 05-13-2005, 07:57 AM
special tool
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I want to give a little here:

I am going to the dyno this morning to test the sledgehammer head (TM).
Because of this,yesterday, even though I have the new sequential chips, I installed my old batch chips - just to get an idea of the different air requirements with big valves at WOT. The map was very different. HOWEVER, I made 2 (TWO) WOT throttle runs while datalogging, and I have a PERFECT AFR. Two runs, guys, no dyno testing. It took 1 hour to make the curve using John's stuff.

My friend Turbox is a cheap bastard. I got him to buy the Zeitronix yesterday. When I finally get him to open his wallet again (removing currency from Nixon administration) and buy SMT6, I will make a video of the tuning WOT, so everyone can see how easy it is.
Old 05-13-2005, 09:07 AM
Bill_396
Instructor

I have been running my Guru Map II on a K-27 for at least two years now trouble free in my daily driver. Even drove it through the Michigan winter. Bolted/plugged in and drove, have not touched it since. Bill
Old 05-13-2005, 11:06 AM
J Chen
Drifting

So does anyone have a GOOD CONDITION
STAGE II MAP kit for sale ?
Old 03-02-2014, 12:52 AM
951-freek
AutoX

I also looking to buy/rent a handheld programmer or serial link cable or USB cabble so I program my AFMLink box.
Old 03-02-2014, 01:38 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 76 Posts

WoW!
Old 03-02-2014, 02:30 AM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 87 Likes on 50 Posts

Wow????
Old 03-02-2014, 02:48 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

wow!
Old 03-02-2014, 04:14 AM
NZ951
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Whoa!
Old 03-02-2014, 04:14 AM
Sixline
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by 951-freek
I also looking to buy/rent a handheld programmer or serial link cable or USB cabble so I program my AFMLink box.
You necromancer you.

At least he searched, right?

Quick Reply: WTB AFM LINK