me the details if you've got one in good
working condition for sale.

Thanks
Old 05-09-2005, 10:32 AM
Pauerman
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got a Serial Link box for datalogging for sale - it's the DB9 format.

If you find an AFM LINK box without one and are interested shoot me a PM.

Vic
Old 05-09-2005, 05:56 PM
mark944turbo
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default AFM Link

I have one for sale.

It was at Link for repair (had a bad chip) but now it is fixed.

550 for everything that Danno included in his kits minus the Air filter, which I need for my next project.

You pay shipping. Includes handheld controller and serial cable for datalogging.

Everything is in used/scratched/ugly but perfectly working condition.

Let me know,

Mark
Old 05-09-2005, 07:54 PM
eastendr
Instructor

We just had a dyno day on Weltmeister's new Dyno Dynamics dynamometer at Silverstone race circuit here in the UK. Three cars were running the Link, including my own.

Pictures here and DATA here

We cannot get any sort of decent fuel curve on any of the cars.

I have just rebuilt my car (need to update my profile ) to higher spec and spent 7 hours on the dyno trying to get it mapped.

This is the best AFR curve we could get

Changing values in the 800 & 900 rows is having no effect to resolve the problem. We were eventually tuning in +/- 50 increments !

Mine will be going for scrap ! Just spoken with Dave Lindsey to get hopefully the first Wolf-3D he can ship to the UK so I can get things mapped properly and start to liberate some power.

Rick.
Old 05-09-2005, 08:48 PM
mark944turbo
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I think you guys must be doing something wrong I havent had any trouble tuning in a flat air fuel ratio w the link stuff. Did you watch or log what zones you were hitting before trying to make changes? It sounds like you may have been adjusting zones that never got touched, and were only making changes through the way it interpolates.

Many others have been successful as well.
Old 05-09-2005, 11:52 PM
jimbo1111
Banned

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

I just looked at your data. 18 psi and only 267 rwhp? What turbo are you running? Tuning a car isn't as easy as most people think. Example. My other car was making about the same hp as yours with a stage 2 sfr turbo. I dyno tuned my car about 35 times before I figured things out. Ended up getting 321 rwhp at 18psi. There is no better tool on the market than a wb with data logging. I had one on my old car but the sensor placement was not ideal. I was using the display at that time. You need data logging. It's great. Learned that with the new car. I don't even use a display any more. Logging the voltage/rpm/af is key. Im not saying that the map kit is ok because someone recently posted that the kit was maxing out prematurely. I think it was edman 951. The wb can help to determine if it's maxed out. A simple volt meter can as well. I have bin down the road of not being able to get the advertised hp that others had with there cars. I think there are many hear that still can't.
Old 05-10-2005, 12:00 AM
ewainwright
Racer

Nice work on your car. I like the visual. As with Mark, it’s only a matter of time before my unit is on Ebay as well. My issues is with the box –its much more than a board connection issues as some would have you believe. This is the second time that I have to send it back to Link within a year for re-repair. If it was only half as dependable as my ex-mother-in-law was at begin a PITA, she has two broomsticks-one for each hand, I’d suffer with it (I feel ihe MAP’s resale value is dropping like a rock - oh well).

That said, it would be real impossible to dial it in without the data logger. Further you should really try to get your ratios close before going to the dyno as there really is a learning curve associate with the system. I have to agree with Mark that the zones that the car are using were missed. Further, it is completely understandable as the data logger and the hand held doesn’t always tell you what’s going on (hence the curve) An example that always use is the idle. Both the hand held controller and the data logger will swear that you are idling in zone 305. However zones 200, 205, 300, 400 and 405 and even 505 all affect idle. Crank 205 up or down while you are idling and see.

Secondly, what size injectors are you using? I ask became when I got my system, it was sent to me in a piece meal fashion. (I ordered my turbo from Lindsey Racing and had it within 3 to 4 days) so I had the opportunity to plug in the unit with stock injectors and a turbo that sings. As I recall I didn’t even have the right chips for over a month. Regardless, for a while I had a fat bottom end and a lean top (A/F ratio) at only 14 psi and it didn’t matter how much I cranked 800s, 900s zones up. Trust me – don’t take this as an endorsement of the system. I’d only wish the MAP on my ex- mother-in-law One inbound flight from her is all that would be needed to get TQM (quality control) off the men’s room floor.
Old 05-10-2005, 12:23 AM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just a note, i contacted Danno about running the Link AFM system. If memory serves, you MUST have the MAP burned chips, a set of aftermarket chips wouldn't work (they will, but give out incorrect signals to the DME).
Old 05-10-2005, 12:36 AM
ewainwright
Racer

Horson, my car ran with Authority chips and the MAP for over a month- my personal experince - should I spell out why I ran it that way to you?
Old 05-10-2005, 12:39 AM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ewainwright
Horson, my car ran with Authority chips and the MAP for over a month- my personal experince - should I spell out why I ran it that way to you?
I mis-read the post, (early morning here), please excuse me

But i am sharing what i was told by the MAP vendor IIRC. But forget that now.
Old 05-10-2005, 02:54 AM
J Chen
Drifting

Thanks Guys,
Sounds like the AFM Link is not getting any good reviews.
Old 05-10-2005, 03:45 AM
cpt_koolbeenz
Drifting

eastendr
You must be dong something wrong with your tuning! I have great A/F ratios with the AFMLink (most do). Your curve is pretty strange... Check your large zones.

I would agree that Link could have made the boxes with more reliable connectors, but they are so simple to fix. If you do it right, and take it easy connecting the tuning module, you should never have a problem.

But the system as a whole can make big power for not a lot of money - if you tune it properly. I don't have my car together right now, or else I would post some numbers.

Talk to Danno - he can get you a better matching chip for your setup - which means less tuning for you. If you tell him your problem, I bet he would be more than willing to hook you up with new chips for your MAP set up.
Old 05-10-2005, 03:46 AM
cpt_koolbeenz
Drifting

BTW Rick- you have a BEAUTIFUL CAR!
Old 05-10-2005, 07:43 AM
eastendr
Instructor

I've just renewed my membership (hadn't realised it had expired until I tried to update my signature !) so will update my signature later.

The specification of the engine now is;

GURU MAP2 intake pipe and air filter
LR Super 75 Turbo - T04e 67mm - #8 hotside - water cooled
LR Stage 2 intercooler
Standard hard pipes with temperature sensors
Throttle body knife edge and flush screws - matched to inlet manifold
Inlet manifold honed out and matched to the head - powder coated
Head has 48mm inlet valves. LR titanium retainers. Big inlet ports. Standard ceramic exhaust ports. 5 angle valve seats
Reground cam with slightly higher lift. Cam tower powder coated
Headers wrapped and EGT sensor 3" from No.4
LR DPW controlled by Blits SBC-iD controller. Aeroquip hoses throughout
Exhaust is 3" stainless steel straight through. No cat. No mufflers.
LR Billet fuel rail & AFPR. #72 Injectors. LR Uprated fuel pump
MSD-6T / magnecor cables / Iridium plugs
LR KISS oil cooler kit

With the link I have the hand held controller and serial data logger box. The chips are from Danno, set up for my original K26/8 turbo (supplied a year ago)

I did mail Danno in February about burning a specific chip for the above to help with ignition as well as fuelling. He replied within a couple of hours saying yes he could do it (and supply an adaptor boot from his hard J pipe to a 75mm turbo inlet). I mailed by return to offer a PAYPAL payment for the $100 chip burn charge. Since then I have had no further contact from Danno. After having waited nearly a year for my MAP2 kit to arrive in the first place,

I think living in the real world with realistic targets to get on with my project completely removes Danno from my equation. Excellent as his knowledge is, the follow up and delivery still hasn't improved !

Anyway, back to the Link. I have logged the cells as they are being accessed.

My car is fitted with a PLX250 wideband (sensor bung welded in the downpipe, parallel with the xover pipe) HERE feeding the Link illuminated AFR gauge. We checked the calibration against the high speed / wideband monitor on the Dyno Dynamics and it agrees (always reassuring ). I also have EGT, boost, injector duty and AFR logging in car ! So tuning in the car is carried out on the road with a fair degree of feedback.

The area around 4500 RPM, which goes extremely weak, we cannot get rid of.

Massive changes to the 830 - 850 and 940-950 zones etc are just not translating to fuel changes. Neither is trying to pull back the fuel at around 5500 RPM. I'm not talking small changes here, but increments of +/- 50 !

Large zomes are left flat - we are talking using only the small zones here !

We can see the zones being transversed, but the injector duty confirms the in-car and dyno afr that values are not changing.

I have mapped several cars in the past, including my 540 BHP 2 litre Cosworth, and Chris at Weltmeister is probably one of the most experienced dyno operators I have ever come accross with many podium race cars to is credit.

We ran the dyno for about 7 hours and totalled nearly 100 pulls !

I have a feeling that among the problems is that the link is not reacting fast enough to cell changes. On the read, transient throttle response results in a very lean AFR followed by very rich.

I did think it might be worth changing the AFPR incase that was faulty ... but then it's delivering more than enough fuel at the top end under 18 PSI boost.

I know that some are getting reasonable results the the Link, but there are also many who are not. I'm certainly not happy with the AFR curves of the 3 cars here in the UK that I know of.

Graphs for these cars are HERE , HERE and HERE .

I concede that my Link may be faulty. I have however passed the point of caring. It's too slow and inflexible for my needs. I need to be able to map ignition as well as fuel (and possibly water injection later using what have been the boost control section of the Wolf-3D). It's going before it damages my engine

All the above are, of course, just my opinion.

Rick.

Old 05-10-2005, 08:36 AM
Jake951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Isn't the Dyno Dynamics a loading dyno like the Mustang? If that's the case, then you can't compare these numbers to the Dynojet numbers that most of us refer to.

Quick Reply: WTB AFM LINK