Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Help, keep blowing off turbo to intercooler pipe

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2005, 10:30 AM
Evan70
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help, keep blowing off turbo to intercooler pipe

I know, simple solution is turn down the boost, but who wants to do that. Anyway, this happens usually once every few weeks. It's blowing the pipe from the turbo to the intercooler off at the intercooler end. I've changed the rubber boot and the hose clamps and it doesn't seem to make any difference. My max boost is right at 16.5psi, and it usually happens when I am on it hard right at the top end of the rev range (which makes sense as that's when I'm moving the most air through it).

It's not really hurting anything, but it is an irritation. Plus it's really embarrasing after you've just blown past six cars at once and then have to pull over, pop the hood and put the pipe back on. I know someone else has to have had this problem, so what was done to fix it? I've been looking at Lindsey's intercooler pipes, would that do the trick? The only problem is, I've still got the stock airbox and the Lindsey pipes look like they definitely won't fit around it.
Old 05-05-2005, 12:12 PM
fortysixandtwo
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Instead of using hose clamps try some T-bolt clamps. They have more clamping force and look good too. Also make sure the inside of the rubber boot and the outside of the pipes are clean. Any oil residue will help the boot slip off.
Old 05-05-2005, 12:15 PM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,196 Likes on 584 Posts

I use 2 clamps on the compressor outlet of the turbo and on the inlet of the intercooler. There is a lot of stress and pressure at those two points.
Old 05-05-2005, 12:39 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The stock stuff is well... Kinda weaksauce. I replaced it all before I had issues with it. Obviously I dont have issues with this better setup

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...t=silicon+hose

Old 05-05-2005, 01:49 PM
eniac
Drifting

I use to have this same problem, I replaced on hard pipe with a Lindsey pipe and the other is still stock. Also I changed all the rubber connector hose over to silicone. I haven't had a pipe blow off yet, even when I had a wastegate vacuum line come off and I accidentally hit 28 psi...well that was one time I kinda wish it DID pop off, haha but no damage done.
Old 05-05-2005, 02:47 PM
MR951
Racer

As mentioned above, T-bolt clamps work great. I am, however, gonna give these spring loaded ones a try.

http://www.turbohoses.com/Clamp.htm
Old 05-05-2005, 03:19 PM
AL951
Racer

I had this same problem when I got my car. Solution, I went to my local parts store a got a bottle of brake cleaner and clean all my hoses(specialty the one coming from the turbo) and pipe ends.Magic!..problem solved!
Old 05-05-2005, 03:29 PM
Evan70
Pro

I'll try cleaning the hoses/pipes first. I've noticed that there is a pretty good film of oil in there, so that might be the problem. If that doesn't work, I'll replace the clamps with some of those listed here.
Old 05-05-2005, 03:56 PM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

Silicone connectors and T blot clamps, having blown it off since!
Attached Images   

Quick Reply: Help, keep blowing off turbo to intercooler pipe