Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

New starter not acting like new...Update...pics of dead one

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2005, 02:06 PM
ccy944
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy New starter not acting like new...Update...pics of dead one

Just replaced the starter last weekend, the old one died because one of the mounting bolts came loose, changed the angle enough to grind up the starter gear and crack the nose cone. The new one fired up the car well, like new, the first few times, but now having some issues. These are the different scenarios now:
1) Starts up first try no problems;
2) Starts to turn the engine then just stops completely (like the gear retracts and starter turns off);
3) Turns the engine slowly like the battery is dying but enough to fire up the car.

Most common yesterday and today is will do #2 first couple of turns of the key then will #3.

Did a search and couldn't find anything like this - any ideas?
Thanks
Charlie
Attached Images   

Last edited by ccy944; 04-30-2005 at 02:42 AM. Reason: update
Old 04-27-2005, 02:21 PM
Zero10
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like the wiring to the starter. That's what I would check first.
Check for corroded/dirty connections, damaged wires, etc.
Old 04-27-2005, 02:33 PM
ccy944
Instructor

That was one of my first thoughts, happened to see the Iceshark thread on the new cables maybe those would help...think maybe the negatives only would help? Budget is tight now and can't afford the whole package.
Old 04-27-2005, 03:37 PM
Zero10
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Start with cleaning and inspecting the factory cables, if you see a marked improvement, you're on the right track
Old 04-27-2005, 03:48 PM
ccy944
Instructor

Thanks for the input, sounds like another fun evening with the car, love working on everything except for electrical, never liked that part of any car I've had.
Old 04-27-2005, 04:59 PM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There may be another possible problem that my battery cables won't help. Since you basically chewed up the first starter, I wonder how bad you chewed up the ring gear on the pressure plate?

You can get a look at it through the starter hole and turning the engine over via the front crank bolt. To replace it you are looking at as much work as a clutch job and that ring is really expensive for a new stock one. I think it is like $350. So you want to find a good used one if it turns out to be the problem.
Old 04-27-2005, 05:55 PM
ccy944
Instructor

I checked the teeth when I had the starter out, there was a little wear, but really didn't see any big chunks out or anything, kind of ruled out that issue, I had an old Firebird before that had a couple of flywheel teeth missing and on those lucky days when the space would line up with the starter gear, nothing was moving anything until I put the car in gear and bumped the engine forward to get the starter on a tooth - Haven't had anything like that happen with this, that's why I was thinking (hoping) electrical, sound like resonable logic or am I missing a piece here? I'm sure I could be as everything on this car is different than anything else I have worked on - quite humbling - used to think I was a pretty good mechanic.
Old 04-27-2005, 06:06 PM
black944 turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

where did you get your starter? I have had a lot of problems with Advanced, Pep boys, and autozone electronic stuff. It was on a different car, but just an idea.
Old 04-27-2005, 06:20 PM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No, you are not missing anything. If the ring gear is in OK shape it probably is your ground and/or main positive to the starter. Or the starter/solenoid itself. Some of the rebuilts are pretty poor quality.

That should give you a road map of where to look next.
Old 04-27-2005, 06:29 PM
ccy944
Instructor

Got the starter from HUB Auto Parts in Costa Mesa, CA, has all the right numbers on it and everything, but thought about that as well, doesn't seem to have the same power as the one I took off, even on it's deathbed. Does have a year warranty, so I guess start following electrical wires and go from there. Thanks - I'll let you know what I find, have this feeling I'll be talking with Iceshark soon......
Old 04-29-2005, 04:13 PM
ccy944
Instructor

Update - went and followed my cables, they seem to look pretty good, not cracked or burnt or anything, checked and tightened all the connections, seems maybe to have helped a little, starts first try a little more often, but had something strange happen this morning - turned the car off and took out the key when I got to work, opened the door and the chime came on like the key was still in the car, so put key back in, turned key more off and chime went away - ?? ignition switch connected to starter problem??
Old 04-29-2005, 04:45 PM
Bill
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Porsche does make a larger starter motor. It is physically larger and superior to the stock one. I have the part number at home. I will post later.
Old 04-29-2005, 05:08 PM
black944 turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

The two tangs just got stuck to the side that caused the chime, no problem its an old car. I have this happen a lot in the volvo I drive daily.
Old 04-29-2005, 06:11 PM
ccy944
Instructor

Bill - thanks, I'll check that out, look for the part number here later.
Black - thanks, was hoping I wasn't just going to follow a string of problems with this.
Old 04-30-2005, 02:51 AM
ccy944
Instructor

Getting a little **** with this-been trying different things, seems that it starts better with the clutch in than with the clutch out, less rotating weight like that, or more because of the pressure on the clutch?

Quick Reply: New starter not acting like new...Update...pics of dead one